Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you go with?
Manual transmission 15 55.56%
Automatic transmission 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2021, 00:22   #1
BHPian

Renault Kwid | Manual or AMT?

Hey fellow BHPians,

I have booked the KWID RxT (O) 1.0 MT for now. One question bugging me is: should I stick to the manual or go for the AMT? The price difference is 45 grand between both. Below I have attempted to jot down the pros & cons which I have figured till yet:

Pros:
- Seamless/ comfortable driving.
- Better resale value than the MT.

Cons:
- Dip in mileage by 2-3 kmpl (important factor for me considering it has no CNG).
- Allegedly higher maintenance than the MT.

Please fill free to pitch in with your valuable opinion and/ or add to the list of pros-cons above. This will be my first car, if that helps with your opinion. Attaching a few pics for viewing fun:

Renault Kwid | Manual or AMT?-1628966306132.jpg

Renault Kwid | Manual or AMT?-1628966306101.jpg

Renault Kwid | Manual or AMT?-1628966306062.jpg

TIA,
SJD

Last edited by SJD@NewDelhi : 15th August 2021 at 00:25.
SJD@NewDelhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 02:53   #2
BHPian

re: Renault Kwid | Manual or AMT?

Something I found which can definitely be marked under cons for the AMT:

https://www.consumercomplaints.in/am...issue-c2208473
Old 15th August 2021, 09:22   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Renault Kwid | Manual or AMT?

If Kwid, then I would recommend the MT as its AMT isn't good (even by AMT standards). Here's Vishy's ownership report of the same (Our Raydon: A Renault Kwid 1.0L AMT joins the family. EDIT: 4 year & 40,000 km update).

If you are open to other cars and spend a majority of your time in traffic, I would recommend the Santro AMT (much smoother) or the WagonR / S-Presso AMTs. If you can stretch your budget, pick the WagonR 1.2L AMT (it's a fantastic engine). Because this is your first car, I'm guessing you haven't got a lot of experience with ATs. Keeping that in mind, you should be okay with the AMT and its head-nod behaviour (you'll get used to it).

Happy shopping .
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 09:52   #4
BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid | Manual or AMT?

If you can stretch your budget a little, I would strongly recommend Tiago. It's a robust car with good safety. My brother is using a Tiago AMT for least 3 years and is absolutely happy with it. I found the build quality of his Tiago better than my Dzire.
Everlearner is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 13:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If Kwid, then I would recommend the MT as its AMT isn't good (even by AMT standards). Here's Vishy's ownership report of the same (Our Raydon: A Renault Kwid 1.0L AMT joins the family. EDIT: 4 year & 40,000 km update).

If you are open to other cars and spend a majority of your time in traffic, I would recommend the Santro AMT (much smoother) or the WagonR / S-Presso AMTs. If you can stretch your budget, pick the WagonR 1.2L AMT (it's a fantastic engine). Because this is your first car, I'm guessing you haven't got a lot of experience with ATs. Keeping that in mind, you should be okay with the AMT and its head-nod behaviour (you'll get used to it).

Happy shopping .
Thanks for your informative opinion, Rush! A TD of the Santro and the WagonR should sort out some of the confusion, although the WagonR 1.2 shall be bit of a budget stretch. Crossing out the KWID AMT as of now because of reliability issues (primary reason) and not much of traffic driving. Thanks again for helping me sort out the query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
If you can stretch your budget a little, I would strongly recommend Tiago. It's a robust car with good safety. My brother is using a Tiago AMT for least 3 years and is absolutely happy with it. I found the build quality of his Tiago better than my Dzire.
Thanks for pitching in with your valuable opinion, Everlearner. Indeed, Tiago was my first love since its launch and always wanted one. However, once buying decision for a 4-wheeler was made, Tiago was going a bit over my comfort budget. Was quite watchful of my budget after reading this insightful thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-dominate.html (Head vs Heart | When do you let the left-brain dominate?)

But thanks to you, I will try to replan again for the Tiago XT (MT) primarily because of the safety quotient and a home-grown manufacturer. A bit hesitant at the same time since I have heard quite a few Tata service issues, one being my friend's 1-year old Tata Bolt giving engine issues but service center never agreeing for a replacement.

Hmm, let's check all our options out. Thanks again,

- SJD
SJD@NewDelhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 15:39   #6
BHPian

Any reason you’re not considering used options, you’ll get much more car/dollar. For AMT vs manual, you have to consider your usage, how many kms do you avg. per day? Anything under 7-8 and you can consider manual, but anything more and you’ll be much better off with the AMT, despite all its cons it does reduce fatigue on the left leg and left arm when crawling in rush hour traffic.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 01:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Any reason you’re not considering used options, you’ll get much more car/dollar. For AMT vs manual, you have to consider your usage, how many kms do you avg. per day? Anything under 7-8 and you can consider manual, but anything more and you’ll be much better off with the AMT, despite all its cons it does reduce fatigue on the left leg and left arm when crawling in rush hour traffic.
1. Not considering used because I am fearful of landing one with some perennial issues which will surface gradually after the purchase. Also an used one isn't available with someone whose word I can trust. I plan to wring this one out like my RE Thunderbird which did 1 lac+ kms in 5 years of ownership. An used one which am assuming will be at least 3-4 yrs old will not be up for such thorough wringing, hence my long-term objective won't be satisfied

2. Considering the issues I dug up on the Kwid AMT, I would rather used that budget in buying the Tiago XT which is a much better choice, don't you think?

Take care,
SJD

Last edited by SJD@NewDelhi : 16th August 2021 at 01:24.
Old 16th August 2021, 11:32   #8
BHPian

My two cents after using Kwid AMT for around 20k km in 3 years. We bought the car pre worshipped, 8K Kms run got a good deal in 2018.

Whom will it fit the bill?
1. If you are using this as a secondary car for city errands. The car is a beater car, by all means, just fill and forget.
2. Women and the elderly will find this car very easy to go around with. The high seating and a suspension setup give the confidence to go over bad patches without slowing down.

Few quirks you can live with
1. The quality of components definitely feel cheap compared to the likes of Maruti however it is acceptable for the cost paid ( even better if pre-owned ).
2. There are always minor niggles and rattles through the body which is easily observed on bad roads. But if you are using it as a beater car, you can just drive it without issues.

Mileage: 14Km/L in the city and 18 Km/L on Highways.
Braking: 7/10 ( doesn't give the confidence to drive fast) - Strictly for the city.
Handling: 7/10 ( steering is vague at times )
Comfort and Space: 8/10
Service and Spares: 8/10

PS: I am driving the pre-facelift version, so please take test drives if you are really considering the car.
Swarup5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 15:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
1. Not considering used because I am fearful of landing one with some perennial issues which will surface gradually after the purchase. Also an used one isn't available with someone whose word I can trust. I plan to wring this one out like my RE Thunderbird which did 1 lac+ kms in 5 years of ownership. An used one which am assuming will be at least 3-4 yrs old will not be up for such thorough wringing, hence my long-term objective won't be satisfied

2. Considering the issues I dug up on the Kwid AMT, I would rather used that budget in buying the Tiago XT which is a much better choice, don't you think?
Regarding 1) I would look at lightly run (under 30k) 2-3 year old examples like Amaze CVT for eg. which will last a long time, for peace of mind you can get Honda’s 10 year extended warranty.

2) Tiago XTA might be better considering you get AMT which from what I’ve heard here is much better implemented than other mfg’s. If out of budget you can look at 1 year old examples.

Cheers.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 00:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post
My two cents after using Kwid AMT for around 20k km in 3 years. We bought the car pre worshipped, 8K Kms run got a good deal in 2018.....
Ahh, that's a nice summary and the quirks doesn't seem too big that they can't be handled. Being an Enfield owner, I like to think that I have developed a tough hide for niggles As long as the ride brings a smile on our face, minor niggles are livable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Regarding 1) I would look at lightly run (under 30k) 2-3 year old examples like Amaze CVT for eg. which will last a long time, for peace of mind you can get Honda’s 10 year extended warranty....
That's a few cool possibilities! I would definitely research on this aspect. Thanks for your opinion mate

Cya,
SJD
Old 17th August 2021, 11:59   #11
BHPian

I was in a similar situation last year while looking for a small car. Test drove all the cars which were in my budget of 6 lakhs. I had booked Maruti Ignis AMT, but ended up buying Renault Kwid RxT (O) AMT. (Latest Model). At the time of writing this I have covered 10,000 Kms and I had no issues at all. I drive the car with a light foot and have driven the AMT on Ghat once with full load. Also I took it to the third floor of shopping mall parking a couple of times without any problem. These were the only doubts in my mind when I was about to buy AMT. In my case I drove all the AMTs available in my budget that time. But somehow I didnt like Maruti AMTs. I am getting a mileage of about 23 Km per litre on highways and Around 20 Km per litre in my city. We have empty roads and less traffic and I drive without AC all the time.

Coming back to the main topic, I would say you can go for Kwid AMT over Manual provided that you are okay with the response of AMT. Please take long test drive of the AMT. I have adapted myself to drive AMT and I drive it like a manual. So there are advantages of AMT which we can take if it is driven according to its behavior. Also the new Kwid AMT comes with creep function.

Disclaimer: I didn't take a test drive of Kwid Manual.
zaheer5776 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks