Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2021, 00:29   #1
BHPian

Head vs Heart | When do you let the left-brain dominate?

If you're reading this, you're probably already an automotive enthusiast. Cars and motorcycles aren't mere transportation, they're extensions of our beings.

As Roger Taylor, the drummer par-excellence from Queen crooned: Told my girl I'd have to forget her / Rather buy me a new carburettor!

Automobiles are our companions; they're family. So when I say that I have a hard time deciding whether to listen to my heart or my head when it comes to making a buying decision, I think you can empathise!

However, vehicles do have a utilitarian aspect to them as well. We need them for transportation, and we need their upkeep to fit in our bank accounts! And therein lies my dilemma: my ego won't be satiated with what I can afford

I've been riding motorcycles and driving cars for a long time now. I'm pretty experienced with most mechanical jobs. I've attended riding schools. I've helped older friends and colleagues buy their dream vehicles and now I finally have the means to buy one of my own. It's a decent budget, but evidently not enough to buy the one I want! Everyone I ask advise me to buy what I can afford since I do not own any other personal transportation. They tell me that I can always upgrade later when I have the financial wherewithal to do so. And my left-brain tells me that they're right. I've myself given this advice to others. But the heart wants what the heart wants!

If I factor in riding gear and running costs, I can just about manage the EMIs. But I cannot justify spending a not-insignificant amount of money on something that is obviously a luxury buy. On the other hand, I do need transportation and if I can swallow my ego, I can definitely buy something decent. But I'm a petrolhead! I simply can't see myself riding something (relatively) pedestrian! My heart won't let me.

So I ask you, my fellow Team-BHPians: how do I swallow my pride? Have any of you faced a similar dilemma? How did you deal with it?
thebengalee is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 10:16   #2
BHPian

re: Head vs Heart | When do you let the left-brain dominate?

I look for delayed gratification if I know for sure that the outgo to satisfy my current ego hinders my peace of mind with financial stability. Personally I won't be able to enjoy a M5 unless I have means to maintain and repair whatever comes outside warranty or insurance. Having said so, I also believe that with whatever budget you have, you can buy the right ride by compromising on few things. What to compromise is individual preference. I also keep remembering that what we buy today becomes outdated in few months or year period anyway.
sreerknair is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 10:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebengalee View Post

So I ask you, my fellow Team-BHPians: how do I swallow my pride? Have any of you faced a similar dilemma? How did you deal with it?
Be open. The opinion of a youtuber X or Y is going to be based on what that person benefits from, try them for yourself and decide. Never reject popular brands without driving them.

Focus. Write down what you need for your family or yourself so you do not compromise on utility. A useful vehicle works out cheaper in the end, it stays with you for the longest time.

Read. This forum is a wealth of knowledge, its archives will give you a clear picture of how it is to live with certain brands and it's vehicles.

PS: I did not do any of the above, just sheer intuition (or stupidity but no pride I promise) and it turned out okay.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 12:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
If I factor in riding gear and running costs, I can just about manage the EMIs. But I cannot justify spending a not-insignificant amount of money on something that is obviously a luxury buy. On the other hand, I do need transportation and if I can swallow my ego, I can definitely buy something decent.
If I were in your place, I would definitely not risk financial stability just because I want something. In fact, a line from the movie Top Gun comes to my mind - "Your Ego Is Writing Cheques Your Body Can't Cash". Over the past few years, I have always been very clear to focus on needs first (without compromising on safety), then on wants, as one never knows what the future holds for anyone, especially right now when there is more uncertainty in this ongoing pandemic. Swallowing one's pride or changing one's preferences in the short term is far easier than reacquiring lost stability.

As for being an enthusiast, I believe (and its only my personal belief) that a true enthusiast will be happy riding or driving anything that is currently available with him/her. When I started driving, I had quite a good amount of fun with the direct and mechanical feel of our old Alto. Now I enjoy the smoothness and convenience of our Baleno as well as the handling and stability of my SX4. Each vehicle holds a special place and its all about how one connects with them.

Last edited by Researcher : 24th July 2021 at 12:06.
Researcher is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 08:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having gone through this myself, I will say PATIENCE IS KEY

I bought a car through practical reasoning based on principles. I did suffer emotionally when paying my EMI (and closed the loan in 39/84 months), but one drive on the road, every single time, I felt the EMI I was paying is negligible.

I listed down the MUST have things based on my usage needed in the car & went simply with that; I've always been advocating & still do, buying is one time affair, but maintenance is for lifetime. Fortunately except Maruti, no one else can be relied in this country on that front. Although I did consider expensive used cars as well, VW & Skoda teased me emotionally & Mahindra knocked me practically, this one point kept me always in focus.

Eventually the model I bought got discontinued 3 months later I had bought, however, I still feel I made a right decision.

However, if I were not a car enthusiast, FOR SURE, I would've never ever bought a car for the kind of expense it incurs. Incidentally I was talking to my Wife about this doodad vehicular expenses incurred over the lifetime for which I could've easily afforded for a single, if not 2, BHK in suburbs of Mumbai. But then she said something that was immutable truth - If you don't do what you like to do, then, there's no point of calling your life worth a living!!
aargee is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 09:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I can just about manage the EMIs.

But I'm a petrolhead! I simply can't see myself riding something (relatively) pedestrian! My heart won't let me.

IMO, it is rather simple. If you have to meticulously plan finances when making a purchase that is a deprecating asset, you cannot afford it yet. Buy it when you can write a single cheque for full down payment without having to think twice about things like EMI and maintenance. Until then, save and invest.
itisravi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 18:18   #7
BHPian

It seems I've found wisdom in these here forums. I guess I already knew the answer, but it really does help when you hear it from someone else!
thebengalee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 08:48   #8
BANNED

I agree and support the fact that you shouldn't blow your life savings on a depreciating asset but, Life is subjective and your feelings are as well, delayed gratification is great for someone less than 30 years old who still has quality of life left. Buy what you want but is still somewhat in your means. Your left brain will rationalize your purchase to defend your ego no matter what.
Nikhildrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 17:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I factor in riding gear and running costs, I can just about manage the EMIs. But I cannot justify spending a not-insignificant amount of money on something that is obviously a luxury buy. On the other hand, I do need transportation and if I can swallow my ego, I can definitely buy something decent. But I'm a petrolhead! I simply can't see myself riding something (relatively) pedestrian! My heart won't let me.

While the post doesn't say it, your profile does. You are 26 years old and your (current) dream is an interceptor 650. With Riding gear, we are talking an outgo of about Rs. 3.5 lakhs.

If you have a decent job with growth prospects, don't have parents depending on you (assuming you don't have a family yet), and can afford the EMI, just go for it and enjoy. RE service is not very expensive, so that will not be a significant expense in the initial years. If there are any unforeseen circumstances, just keep an open mindset to swallow the pride and sell the bike without getting too emotional. The good thing is, RE's command a good resale value and you won't get burned badly.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 18:34   #10
BHPian

I let go my Karizma ZMR which ran only for 16000 KM and upgraded to Thunderbird 500.
Review of CrazyDriver forced me to buy Interceptor and let it go TB500 which ran only for 18000KM. TB500 was in excellent condition with gel seat, new clutch plate and fully serviced. None of above decisions was ruled by brain.
If your passion or wish-list do not interfere with financial security and primary responsibilities then go for it rather glaring at other riders on your favorite bike or car.
Old 27th July 2021, 08:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Buy an used example of the bike you're looking for. Just make sure you do your homework right ensure you have enough for the maintenance of the machine (depending on it's age).
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
When it comes to enticing toys like cars and bikes, my rule of thumb is that if you can't buy it twice, you can't afford it. Although the literal meaning isn't exactly what I intended, you get the idea, right?
I too, know deep down that I'm not ready to make such a large commitment on a pricey bike. I swallow my pride by simply kick starting my luna/bajaj sunny and taking a solo ride around the Ooty lake. It's as simple as that.
Fateh Salim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 14:46   #13
BANNED

I can relate to your situation very well. I've made a few bad financial decisions to justify and buy the car or motorcycle I like.

After spending an unreasonable amount on vehicles, I've found that as a rule of thumb, the vehicle should cost about 3 to 6 months of your income - give or take. It's okay to add in a month or two worth of cash, but no more. If you can't buy new, look at used vehicles. Out of the 5 vehicles I own, 4 are used and I wish the fifth one was used too. That would've saved me 2 lakh or so.

For a motorcycle, a 2-4 yrs old example is a good starting point if you want to go the used route. It still has plenty of life in it but its sheen has worn off the first owner by this time. It has also depreciated significantly during these initial years. There's a good chance that it would still be in warranty. These conditions are applicable to any bike across any price segment (50k - 50L).

Here's a practical thing you can do to swallow your ego:
1. go to a public place like a bus stop or a train station where people are waiting (not walking around and busy with their own stuff)
2. buy a pack of Haldiram nutcracker or something similar
3. try throwing it in the air and catching it with your mouth
4. start small and try to go higher

We've all done this in the privacy of our home but doing it in public is different. You'll look funny. You'll start worrying about 'log kya kahenge.' I did this in 2008. During my college days, I have never seen anyone twice at a bus stop. Log dobara milenge hi nahi denge toh kuch kahenge kaise? At best you'll occupy 5 min of their thoughts. They're too busy with their own life problems. Even people you hang out with don't care.

This is how I came to see vehicles for what they offer instead of judging them by the price tag. This is why no matter how ridiculous I look while riding the Navi with full gear, I chose it to go ride at the off-road adventure zone in Gurgaon. I've also taken it on a road trip to Mandi and enjoyed every moment on that ride.

When my heart wanted the Himalayan, I chose the Impulse and I haven't regretted the decision one bit. It cost me 1/5th and it's at least 4/5th as capable as the Himalayan - maybe more so in the tricky stuff.

If you break out of that comfort zone, then you'll find plenty of motorcycles that can rival your preferred bike on the fun factor.

The only situation where I think the expensive one justifies the price is when you're buying the vehicle for hobnobbing for professional growth. If the vehicle helps you make that extra money back, then it's alright.
MaheshY1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 14:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The greatest bike in the world, is the one that is in your garage.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 16:32   #15
BHPian

Information is missing. Relative value of your purchase to your / your family's networth matters a lot.

This question is raised in a poetic way as though things were black and white. They are NOT. Your decisions with have repercussions, so if you are making a mistake atleast make one you can recover from with your eyes wide open.

Someone mentioned that you are looking for an Interceptor 650 and that you are 26yrs of age. Going by this alone, go for it ! You can always (mostly) recover from this. If you were buying a Ducati costing >20L INR, ~33 years of age, married and have a young kid, that would be financial suicide. In this case "Heart wants what the Heart wants" is stupid and dangerous and the "Heart" needs to reigned in.
charanreddy is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks