Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Tata Altroz DCA 123 54.91%
Hyundai i20 DCT 101 45.09%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2022, 15:40   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz DCA vs Hyundai i20 DCT | Which dual-clutch AT hatchback would you choose?

I didn't vote to either because it's an absolute 50:50 for me.

Where both cars excel

* Space
* Looks

Tata Altroz DCA vs Hyundai i20 DCT | Which dual-clutch AT hatchback would you choose?-20220416_103345.jpg

Where Altroz excels

* Build quality & safety
* Steering feedback and handling dynamics
* ICE quality

Where i20 excels

* NVH
* softer Ride quality
* Features
* Performace
* After Sales & Service

If it's a secondary car, which is to be used in city traffic alone, Altroz DCA will be a better choice.

If it's going to be the only car, i20 DCT will be the ideal choice.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th April 2022 at 15:51.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 21:09   #32
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz DCA vs Hyundai i20 DCT | Which dual-clutch AT hatchback would you choose?

Voted for Altroz DCA

The pros are by far more compelling :

First and foremost 5 Star Safety.
Looks much better from almost all angles.
Confidence inspiring drive.
Lovely steering feedback, nowhere it feels dead or lifeless.
Wet clutch over dry clutch.
Value for money pricing.
Better built inside out.
Welcoming ergonomics and better interiors compared to i20 (opinion).
Better ICE.

The 0-100 figures are more than fine and seriously on day to day basis do not matter much as none of these cars are meant for racing.

Much VFM and humble package.

I would anyway like to be in a more reassuring, comfortable and safer cocoon than in a lighter and quirky looking vehicle that keeps me worried before taking it on a highway.

I have recently driven the Altroz DCA at the dealership while booking a nexon for one of my friend and the car is seriously one deserving vehicle.

Take your call. All the best.
NST440 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 21:24   #33
BHPian

Voted for the Altroz for the Safety and the Indian badge. TATA has embarked on a journey and though the journey would be rough, they should get the support of their brethren lest they stop the journey mid way like the Nano.

But as had already been suggested, the Altroz DCA and i20 DCT cater to different segments and so any comparison would be unfair and biased.
Old 18th April 2022, 21:36   #34
BHPian

Both cars are equally good & satisfy the enthusiast in some other way.

I'll choose i20 for the following reasons:
1) Engine
2) Reliability
3) After Sales Support - With both gearboxes being complex in nature, I'll trust and be dependent on Hyundai A.S.S rather than Tata A.S.S. - expertise in this gearbox + better approach to solving problems as DCT is available on many Hyundais.

A.S.S support is very important for me considering the delicate and complex gearbox.
Also, 3 stars is at least better than 0 rated car.

But my respect for Tata will always remain for making safe cars and the way they have changed themselves in 'every way' compared to yesteryears.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 18th April 2022 at 21:41.
Old 20th April 2022, 11:45   #35
BHPian

Voted for i20.

Reliability is a high priority for me. What is the point of having a fun, good looking, safe car if it cannot be driven with peace.
Hyundai is 100% times more reliable than a Tata any day. Reliability is huge deal breaker for Tata. If not for reliability, it is the Altroz always.
Old 20th April 2022, 20:45   #36

This is an apt comparison that I had to make recently
My wife was looking for a automatic hatchback and finalize the altroz DCA and i20 sportz dct.

We did the test rides of both the cars and finally decide to go with the i20. Primarily the reasons for that decision were

1) While altroz is a good looking car, I'm always wary of minor niggles that tata cars end up having. I've already had 2 Hyundai cars and they've been reliable to the T.
2) My wife after driving the altroz commented, there is no Punch in the altroz engine (intended pun there ). It was seriously bad when trying to take off from the signal. It was definitely bad in the mid range too. Overall disappointing although definitely better than the manual version.
3) Hyundai service is top notch in Pune and this would be our 3rd car.
4) after i20 introduced the dct in the sportz version, the pricing was almost the same with the xza+ and it was really a no brainer to go with the i20+. After market car seats and leather wrapping for the steering and other goodies were thrown in for free by the dealer.
5) Tata sales staff was terrible. They were rude at dev motors and didn't follow up after going there thrice and the other guy at garve tata was clueless to say the least.
6) The turbo engine with the dct in the i20 is far superior than the 1.2 na DCA of the altroz and especially for city driving. On the highway, there's no comparison.

That's what made us choose the i20 over the altroz.
Old 21st April 2022, 17:10   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for Altroz DCA, hypothetically, for the lack of "None of the two" option. I absolutely hate the i20 now, even on the looks. I liked the previous 2 generations. This one is absolutely not to my taste. New Hyundai has lost me altogether with their design philosophy. And then - the safety record from test results is a clear indicator that Hyundai considers Indians as 2nd rate consumers. That is a direct turn off for me. I'd not take one even if given for free.

The Altroz - I love. Would I buy the DCA right now - No! Not in the current setup. Bring the DCA with iTurbo and I'll buy one. Better still - with the diesel engine! I look forward to that in fact.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:07   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkiman View Post
This is an apt comparison that I had to make recently

4) after i20 introduced the dct in the sportz version, the pricing was almost the same with the xza+ and it was really a no brainer to go with the i20+. After market car seats and leather wrapping for the steering and other goodies were thrown in for free by the dealer.

That's what made us choose the i20 over the altroz.
Does the dct in the sportz version have hill assist? My wife will be primarily using this and she is paranoid about climbing up ramps and slopes and the hill assist is critical.

Also, is the i20 N line and the sportz version have the same engine? Since there is almost 3 lac difference between the two, is that because of a different engine / tuning or only due to additional features?
Old 22nd April 2022, 11:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Does the dct in the sportz version have hill assist? My wife will be primarily using this and she is paranoid about climbing up ramps and slopes and the hill assist is critical.

Also, is the i20 N line and the sportz version have the same engine? Since there is almost 3 lac difference between the two, is that because of a different engine / tuning or only due to additional features?
Yes the engine in the i20 N Line turbo DCT (n8) and i20 sportz dct is the same.
The DCT introduced in the sportz this year also brought in automatic climate control (excellent feature to have) + cruise control (makes no difference for city driving in India)

What is missing in the sportz vs the top line are
- It has only 2 air bags vs 6
- It does NOT have hill hold control which would have been a good feature to have but wasn't a deal breaker for us as my wife has been driving a manual for 10+ years and has a 10yr+ daily experience of waiting at the signal at SB Road (nr Symbiosis college) ... Puneites might know what I'm talking about.
- It does not have ESP in sportz, but if it is important there is always the Asta (o) to upgrade to

Mainly the 3 lakh difference isn't worth it except for the sporty finishes, connected car tech, very minimal additional features, diamond cut alloy wheels that you either get in nline or even the 2lakh differential with the asta.

In terms of comparison with the altrox xza+ dca, the altroz scores over the i20 sportz in terms of
- Exterior design (subjective)
- ESP
- Rear wiper
- connected car tech
- leatherette interiors + keyless entry with start/stop button.
but then again all these features are available in the i20 top spec

Where i20 sportz scores
- engine
- better and faster UI in the entertainment system.
- better reliability
- Better interior quality
- better seating space for the driver(subjective)

There's only a 10k difference between the i20 sportz dct and xza+ dca of the altroz and that's why we went with this one.
akkiman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 13:55   #40
BHPian

I have a 2016 Honda City manual top end. I want an automatic which will be driven predominantly by my wife for going to office, taking kids to school, parents / in-laws for shopping etc. Does it make sense to give up the city and exchange it for either Altroz or i20 dct?

The city is very spacious (can seat 3 adults at the rear seat easily) and extremely dependable and ages well. I haven't done a test drive of these vehicles so not sure if this is a wise decision. I don't want to spend too much money on the car - understand that current gen automatic City goes upto 17 lacs and other cars (tiaigun / creta / kushak / seltos) all touch 21 for a good automatic. The engine and dct performance is pretty important to me.
Old 22nd April 2022, 16:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
I have a 2016 Honda City manual top end. I want an automatic which will be driven predominantly by my wife for going to office, taking kids to school, parents / in-laws for shopping etc. Does it make sense to give up the city and exchange it for either Altroz or i20 dct?
It depends on what makes sense according to you. It is a downgrade and not something that I would do, but then if your requirement is to have an automatic and you dont want to extend the budget you do not have much options.
Since you are coming from a 1.5 iVTEC (assuming its petrol), I believe you will be more happy with 1 turbo from i20 than 1.2 NA from Altroz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks