Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2022, 09:17   #31
BANNED

Re: An automatic second hand car to practice driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
Offtopic but related. I always thought learning to drive a manual car is mandatory to get a license. Are we allowed to drive an automatic car during license test? If allowed will they provide a different class of license like motor cycle without gear?
Although the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways allowed the use of automatic vehicles for driving tests, however, it is yet to be implemented in many states. Earlier, a circular released by the centre allowed the use of automatic or manual transmission vehicles for driving tests.

But this has not been made applicable as of yet as there is no class of vehicle in driving license format as LMV (Automatic)
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 05:59   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post
Although the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways allowed the use of automatic vehicles for driving tests, however, it is yet to be implemented in many states. Earlier, a circular released by the centre allowed the use of automatic or manual transmission vehicles for driving tests.

But this has not been made applicable as of yet as there is no class of vehicle in driving license format as LMV (Automatic)
In Chennai Sholinganallur RTO, if it’s one’s private car, you can drive any car for drive test. My wife drove a Automatic. The inspectors doesn’t sit inside private cars.

Like everyone advised go for New car directly and you can use it for 5 years. Get B2B insurance, you are good until your wife learns.

The second market is very expensive, I sold my Automatic New Wagon R start of the year. Cars 24, TSM cars and Used car dealer were fighting for the same car.

The Private price was 4.8L and TsM offered 4.92L and sealed the deal. 2 Yrs old 14000 Kms 1.2L Wagon R VXI AmT it was and I sold in Jan this year
Old 25th July 2022, 09:26   #33
BHPian

I bought a i10 sports AT (TC) 2013 model for my wife. It had run 43k kms. It was in great interior and exterior condition.
Bought it for for 3.2 on spinny. Used for a year and a half and sold off for 2.8 lakhs.
Its a great little car for the price.
Old 4th December 2022, 12:28   #34
BHPian

Wife's finding it difficult to learn the manual car.
So looking for an automatic city car for her which initially she'll learn and then drive around the city by herself and sometimes with my mom.

I'm considering these cars :
1. Swift amt new
2. Ignis amt new
3. Punch amt new
4. Jazz cvt pre owned

Guidance please.
Old 10th December 2022, 18:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -~=+Killa+=~- View Post
I agree with you! Also with manual there are so many options in the second hand market.

Please check the used car market once, you won't get 2017 GT TSI for anywhere near 5 lakhs. I wouldn't recommend polo for a newbie, chances are the learner will most likely keep the gear in D mode with foot on the brake in signals which is one of the starting point for DQ200's problems.
I am evaluating a GT TSI Polo 2015 with 55K on the odo. Can you elaborate more on this? In was hoping for a reliable automatic but it sounds like the GT has issues?
Old 11th December 2022, 14:05   #36
y2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg_ad View Post
Wife's finding it difficult to learn the manual car.
So looking for an automatic city car for her which initially she'll learn and then drive around the city by herself and sometimes with my mom.

I'm considering these cars :
1. Swift amt new
2. Ignis amt new
3. Punch amt new
4. Jazz cvt pre owned

Guidance please.
Out of curiosity, any reason to not consider Tiago or perhaps it isn't exactly in the same segment?
Also which variant of Punch as it gets expensive real quick. I liked the Accomplished variant but going at that price, I would rather want to push for Amaze or Baleno or slide down to Tiago or Celerio. However, I have read lot of good stuff about Jazz and Ignis although not sure why the competition isn't as good as them if not better according to owners of those cars.
y2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 15:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k View Post
Out of curiosity, any reason to not consider Tiago or perhaps it isn't exactly in the same segment?.
The only reason for not considering tiago is the lack of refinement from the 3 cylinder engine, and for the same reason I ruled out punch.
Out of swift and ignis, i like ignis more.

I've further narrowed down my shortlist to jazz CVT and ignis AMT.

I drove my uncle's Ignis AMT last week, and loved the drive.
Old 11th December 2022, 16:15   #38
y2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg_ad View Post
The only reason for not considering tiago is the lack of refinement from the 3 cylinder engine, and for the same reason I ruled out punch.
Out of swift and ignis, i like ignis more.

I've further narrowed down my shortlist to jazz CVT and ignis AMT.

I drove my uncle's Ignis AMT last week, and loved the drive.
Thanks for the perspective. I am not sure how wise it is to put safety over engine refinement but that was my reason to consider Tiago. It is still a consideration only though. But yeah Ignis is getting a lot of positive comments here recently so there must be something to it.
y2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 16:36   #39
BHPian

I always put safety over anything else. But this will be a secondary car, which will strictly and only be driven in city by my wife and dad mostly in traffic. So the speeds would be mostly below 40.
Basically my calculations for a secondary car is it'll be safer than a two wheeler.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks