Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 21:30   #1
avk
BHPian

An automatic second hand car to practice driving

Hello. We are looking for an automatic second hand car for my wife to practice driving.

Budget: Under 5 lakhs
Safety: The more the better within the budget
Brand: Open to all currently producing cars in India

Ownership horizon: Own it for 9-12 months and then sell it off before buying a new car.

Planning to buy within a month.

All suggestions welcome.
avk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 22:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: An automatic second hand car to practice driving

Grand i10 automatic, not the AMT but the regular torque converter gear box it came with originally. Buy a good example and retain it, doesn't make sense to switch cars within a year.
Durango Dude is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 22:09   #3
BHPian

3Rd gen Honda City makes good sense. You can get good one around 4 lakh. After a year you will get a good resale as well. Well rounded car and won't let you down. All the best for car hunting.
Joelinf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 22:10   #4
BHPian

For short term, stick to Maruti stable and you won't lose much during resale. I suggest a WagonR AMT.

Last edited by Everlearner : 12th July 2022 at 22:20.
Everlearner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 22:19   #5
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Grand i10 automatic, not the AMT but the regular torque converter gear box it came with originally. Buy a good example and retain it, doesn't make sense to switch cars within a year.
The reason behind going for a short term ownership is to avoid high maintenance cost that may come with a second hand high mileage out of warranty car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelinf View Post
3Rd gen Honda City makes good sense. You can get good one around 4 lakh. After a year you will get a good resale as well. Well rounded car and won't let you down. All the best for car hunting.
Thank you. Preference is for a hatchback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
For short term, stock to Maruti stable and you won't lose much during resale. I suggest a WagonR AMT.
How many years and mileage should be considered to reduce the likely occurrence of additional maintenance costs.
Old 12th July 2022, 22:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

I second Durango Dude's suggestion on 1st gen i10 AT. You could also look at A-Star AT. You might get a 10 year old example for 2-3 L. Both are small dimensions for newbies to manage. Only disadvantage I see with Hyundai petrols is awful FE, but given the use case its not.a big deal.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 22:41   #7
BHPian

We in a similar situation a few weeks back and got a MS A Star Automatic. The dimensions are perfect for city use and it has a proper automatic torque converter gearbox. Below is the link for the thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...4-6-lakhs.html (New or Used car for my sister-in-law | Budget 4-6 lakhs)
adi.mariner is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 23:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

i10 1St gen and A star, both fail on the OP's requirement "Brand: Open to all currently producing cars in India".

WagonR, maybe Ignis can come in your budget.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 07:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
How many years and mileage should be considered to reduce the likely occurrence of additional maintenance costs.
WagonR is a hot selling model. You can easily find a below 3 year 40k KM one within your budget.
Old 13th July 2022, 08:04   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The A Star, of which many are available in the used market, would be the perfect car for you for this purpose according to me.it is compact, has a good engine and a nice AT gearbox, is stylish, trouble free and after all, being a Maruti, easy and inexpensive to service and maintain. It is a very nice little car to learn on and subsequently use for the shorty city commutes. Personally I ve always appreciated its distinctive looks and compact dimensions. The perfect Japanese KEI car, as per my estimation.

See these ads.
I've found this on OLX. What do you think? Maruti Suzuki A-Star Vxi (ABS), Automatic, 2013, Petrol https://www.olx.in/ad/1693152186

Also consider a Honda Brio AT.
See this ad
I've found this on OLX. What do you think? Honda Brio 2013-2016 VX AT, 2014, Petrol https://www.olx.in/ad/1692228792

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th July 2022 at 08:18. Reason: Adding relevant ads
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 08:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
The reason behind going for a short term ownership is to avoid high maintenance cost that may come with a second hand high mileage out of warranty car.
The cars being suggested (A and B segment hatchbacks) were originally retailing at 5-6 lakhs to begin with. So maintenance costs are expected to be on par with the car's cost. As long you are sticking to the purpose intended (learn and sell, not rake serious miles), you won't lose much.

If it works well, you may even retain it as a secondary car (if there is an use case).

Last edited by narayans80 : 13th July 2022 at 08:51.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 08:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I recommend not to purchase a vehicle at all now, use the services of a driving school , pay for an X number of sessions where she can practise with supervision. Once confident enough, go ahead with a new car. This whole thing would work out a lot cheaper and safer.
Kosfactor is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 10:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

5 lakh is a good enough budget to buy a used AT in a fairly good condition which is good for few more years.
You can look at Grand i10 as many have suggested. You may find Baleno CVT or i20 Elite CVT as well.
Look for a car which is 2-3 years old with less than 30K on the odo and you can easily keep the car for 3-4 years.
Old 13th July 2022, 11:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The A Star, of which many are available in the used market, would be the perfect car for you for this purpose according to me.it is compact, has a good engine and a nice AT gearbox, is stylish, trouble free and after all, being a Maruti, easy and inexpensive to service and maintain. It is a very nice little car to learn on and subsequently use for the shorty city commutes. Personally I ve always appreciated its distinctive looks and compact dimensions.
I agree! I bought a A Star AT in 2018 and sold it earlier in 2022. My wife and my sister both learned to drive on it...I actually grew to love the little thing so much and we even took it on a family highway trip once.

The only drawback with the A Star as a learner car - you can't see the bonnet from behind the steering wheel. My wife had lots of trouble with judging the front and sides of the car; she hit an Uber on the front once and swiped an old man once with left RVM. We had to fix an ornamental antenna on the bonnet to act as a judgment rod of sorts for her.

In all other aspects, A Star AT is a perfect choice as a learner. We are still sad for having let it go for disuse (we barely drove it for 2000 Km a year).
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 11:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I recommend not to purchase a vehicle at all now, use the services of a driving school , pay for an X number of sessions where she can practise with supervision. Once confident enough, go ahead with a new car. This whole thing would work out a lot cheaper and safer.
Yes, and it will save a lot of hassles too, involved with buying and selling a secondhand car (especially with selling).
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks