Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2007, 01:21   #1
Tapan

Relp! Help me decide - I am confused

Hi,

As usual am planning to buy new car. I need AC, Heater, Power Steering (As my sister will also drive) and a lot of fuel efficieny. So for last few days i am running in showrooms taking test drives etc. To be frank i have already booked Alto LXi but I am being told by several people and even on mouthshut that gears are crunchy and when AC is turned on even a bi-cycle beats Alto.

So this has made me re-think and made me increased my budget to 3.5 Lacs. Now after increasing the budget i have the following options and thats why i am confused...i have already read reviews of all on mouthshut. So please really suggest me the best one coz all look / sound best! Oh i forgot to tell that i am from Chandigarh so i will be driving in top gears most of the time to get good fuel efficieny. Anyways enough discussion, here's my options:
  • Alto LXi
  • Santro Xing (Dunno which model is with Power Steering)
  • Zen Estilo LXi
  • Palio Stile 1.1 SL
  • Chevy Spark 1.0 LS or PS

My dad does not like Santro so I can't do much about it. Alto is already booked but i think i will cancel. Now i am thinking of Spark and Stile. But you guys suggest so we can discuss more.

I'll repeat again i need Power Steering, AC, Heater and Fuel Efficiency.

Thank you.

Old 24th June 2007, 07:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Look more in this forum and you will find that Stile 1.1 is very lethargic with A/c on as well. Go with Spark.
Old 24th June 2007, 08:25   #3
BHPian

Yes the matiz was a wonderful car except for the power but now with the new engine and additional safety features features and company claimed FE of 16+ i think the chevy spark will be a good buy
Old 24th June 2007, 08:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think you can add wagonR Lxi to that list as well
Old 24th June 2007, 09:19   #5
BHPian

You can take a look at Indica Xeta...Much bigger than the rest and awesome AC. Fuel efficiency might not lesser than the Alto and Santro...

You can get the XETA with power steering, A/C, front power windows and music system with 6 speakers for around 3.2L...

If you don't want the Indica go for the Palio Stile or the Spark because of the extra space primarily.

Balaji.
Old 24th June 2007, 09:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tapan

Unfortunately the car that suits your requirements perfectly isnt in your list. The WagonR LXi. Its got a great power steering, which makes manoevering the car a child's play. And yup the LXi got heater as well. I use it a lot during Delhi summers.
Oh and did i tell you its the most fuel efficient of the lot (barring Alto).
Old 24th June 2007, 09:44   #7
BHPian

What about Xeta? Have you considered that? It is a pretty big car - not great on fuel efficiency compared to Alto. But may be a km less than Santro/others in competetion. But for almost the same price as Alto, you would get all you need.
I dont have a Xeta myself, but just wondering if you checked that out.
Old 24th June 2007, 10:30   #8
Tapan

HI,

Thank you for your suggestions but according to Xeta's ad it says that it gives 14 kmpl which is claimed by company so on road i think it will not give more than 12. Anyways Xeta is not my type car becuase the build quality is way too poor for me to handle. I can't be bothered to goto dealership again and again to get a screw tightened.

Ok, then again I have shortlisted these according to our suggestions: Alto, Spark and WagonR. But hey no one said anything about Zen Estilo ???!!! Any reasonn ?

Thank you.

Old 24th June 2007, 10:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapan View Post
Hi,
I need AC, Heater, Power Steering (As my sister will also drive) and a lot of fuel efficieny. i have already booked Alto LXi

increased my budget to 3.5 Lacs.

i will be driving in top gears most of the time to get good fuel efficieny.
  • Alto LXi
  • Santro Xing (Dunno which model is with Power Steering)
  • Zen Estilo LXi
  • Palio Stile 1.1 SL
  • Chevy Spark 1.0 LS or PS
I'll repeat again i need Power Steering, AC, Heater and Fuel Efficiency.
Thank you.
I think now am clear bout your requirements!! One guess - This is your first car eh?!
Well....you boost the fuel efficiency part many times and so guess its the most important factor for you!! This also gives me more signals like you need an easy & economicaly maintainable car and good re-sale value.
And you already booked an Alto Lxi. If my assumptions are correct...I think your decision is right and thatz the best bet for you!

But again... you raised your budget to 3.5L.!! Your considerations are Spark & Stile!! This gives a signal that you are ok with an affordable mix of economy. Either a bit costlier service costs and decent economy OR Alto matching service costs and good fuel efficiency!! I think the best bet here wud be Spark 1.0 OR 1.0 LS. (one that fits the budget!!)

Drive on!! cheers!

Last edited by nikkibike : 24th June 2007 at 10:34.
Old 24th June 2007, 11:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
You can take a look at Indica Xeta...Much bigger than the rest and awesome AC. Fuel efficiency might not lesser than the Alto and Santro...
Balaji.
Correction....I meant the fuel efficiency might not be as good as Alto and Santro....That was a typo...
Old 24th June 2007, 11:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Other small cars won't make much difference when AC is comapred with Alto, its actually the way we feel about power from the car when needed.

You can still go head with Alto otherwise go with Spark. Right now it appears Spark is bit overpriced but it has got good quality inside.

Choose between Alto and Spark, they are best small cars available right now.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 24th June 2007, 11:58   #12
Team-BHP Support

Yeah Alto has a decent ac but it takes a huge toll on the performance. Every overtaking move even in the city needs planning or flick the ac compressor off.

The Spark is a good choice if you can stretch that in your budget.

Also, the WagonR is a good choice. But I find the gears of the WagonR notchy even when compared to the Alto.

If you have the budget I wouldnt recommend the Alto.
Old 24th June 2007, 13:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The WagonR LXi. Its got a great power steering, which makes manoevering the car a child's play. And yup the LXi got heater as well. I use it a lot during Delhi summers.
Oh and did i tell you its the most fuel efficient of the lot (barring Alto).
Man, what are you made of!!! Using the heater in Delhi summers??? Are you using your car as a Sauna or what
Old 24th June 2007, 13:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Man, what are you made of!!! Using the heater in Delhi summers??? Are you using your car as a Sauna or what

I meant winters.. lol
sorry for the typo
Old 24th June 2007, 14:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I have driven both Alto LXi and Wagon R LXi. (800 kms at a stretch to different locations but on NH's) Alto lacks power if you swith on AC. Wagon R has the same problem to some extent. But it has more power with 64 bhp than alto's 37 bhp. Since u r informing you have a budget of 3.5L, I feel Wagon R LXi would be a better choice. The manoeverability is good. As ur sister will also be using the car, it is better u go for a wagon r as the seats are little high (Visibility will improve) and will be more comfortable for ladies. The clutch and brakes are also better than Alto.

The Wagon R has all the things you are looking for PS+AC+Heater+FE.....Whatmore, u can also fit in/convert into Gas after u buy the car.......Waht Say???
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks