Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2022, 16:54   #16
CPJ
BHPian

Re: Advice needed on second car | Tata Tiago EV or Pre-Owned Automatic Hatchback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Hi there CPJ - looks like a predicament many of us are facing now, thanks for offices opening up post lockdowns. Given your minimal usage and ready availability of a good mainstay car, suggest you ahead with the Tiago EV.

EVs are fairly reliable in comparison to ICE cars. Given the 8 years warranty, your window of ownership is well covered.
Thanks Aragorn, yes the long battery warranty that TATA is offering, kind of makes the decision a little easier.

Quote:
The waiting period is something you have to deal with - but its a small trade-off for your ownership stretching to many years
I'm okay with the waiting period and actually need the car somewhere in March 2023.
Old 15th December 2022, 17:12   #17
BHPian

Re: Advice needed on second car | Tata Tiago EV or Pre-Owned Automatic Hatchback?

@CPJ : Buddy I had my 3rd drive in crazy Bandra on the Punch AMT.

I am convinced that on our roads for a city runner, an AMT is the perfect transmission. I again went on hilly roads, entered stop start traffic and just punished the AmT: No problem at all if you are a sedate driver.

Just TD the latest AMT’s and you will know what I am talking about. It’s a war zone in Mumbai and CVT are too nice to survive.
VPJ74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 17:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPJ View Post
the long battery warranty that TATA is offering, kind of makes the decision a little easier.
Hi CPJ
We got a Tigor EV last December and it's been a wonderful year. Dad's usage is very similar with 3-4 days of week about 40-50kms a day running on Highway/City. Other days it's usually brother's XL6.
Current odo at 11k kms, and except for a failed AC (replaced under warranty FOC) the ownership has largely been beautiful. The ease of driving, the silence of the engine, smoothness everything is just unbelievable.
The only downside is, IMO, a battery range of 280 kms on sedate drive and 180-200kms on a spirited drive.
I am not worried long term about the replacement cost of the battery as even with degradation after 8 years, it's not like the charge held by battery will be 80% only!
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 20:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPJ View Post
Hello BHPians!
Need your help in deciding a Second Car for our household.

Cars Shorlisted
  • Tata Tiago EV XZ+ Lux Variant LR:
    1. Meets most of our requirement, but worried about long term reliability.
    2. Test drive vehicles have not yet reached showroom, so not sure about drive and feel of the car.
    3. Long Waiting Period, actual delivery might take place in April or MAY 2023.
    4. Overall fit and finish as comapred to Polo (Based on seeing Tigor EV in the showroom)

So considering the above scenario whihc car you feel is a safe bet for the next 7 years?

Thanks and looking forward to your suggestions.
My vote would be for Tiago EV. The savings over the next 7 years of ownership will more than cover any unexpected visits to the workshop. Also, EVs are super simple compared to ICE counterparts and just don't have enough parts that can go bust. Tata uses LFP chemistry for Tiago so you need not worry about battery degradation or replacement costs (anyways you are covered for 8 years in warranty).

The only decision to make is whether the fit and finish is acceptable, rest there's no other issue to worry about. Since you live in Pune and want to use the car within city limits make the most of the use case and save truckloads of money while plastering a smile when you experience instant torque from standstill.

Last edited by soarersc300 : 15th December 2022 at 20:39. Reason: Trimmed quoted text
soarersc300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 03:55   #20
BHPian

I have similar usage patterns and my best friend got Tigor EV last year. Thought it might be underpowered and so on but once I drove it, nothing comes close as a city car. Fantastic acceleration and 0 noise or vibrations. The feel of automatic is in a different league vs any other ICE gearbox, especially AMT/CVT.

I have pre booked Tiago EV myself now.

If I was going the petrol route, would have gotten the new I20 DCT which I think will fall in your budget. The interiors of this gen Hyundai cars are a step above older ones and the engine is a gem as well.
Does not make much sense in buying a older one which is not comparable and also quite high priced in used market according to what you have posted.
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 08:27   #21
BHPian

My suggestion is that you consider the Honda Amaze CVT, it is similar in dimension to the i20 / Baleno
ellip5i5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 08:35   #22
BHPian

The Tata EV’s are great but at a very different price point. The Tiago EV model OP has selected is around 12L OTR for a Tiago which is a 6-7 L car (ICE).

At 12 L, one has many more options than around 8L.
VPJ74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 11:43   #23
CPJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
@CPJ : Buddy I had my 3rd drive in crazy Bandra on the Punch AMT.

Just TD the latest AMT’s and you will know what I am talking about. It’s a war zone in Mumbai and CVT are too nice to survive.
I'm visiting TATA Showroom tomorrow, will give Punch AMT a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Hi CPJ
We got a Tigor EV last December and it's been a wonderful year. Dad's usage is very similar with 3-4 days of week about 40-50kms a day running on Highway/City.
Thanks a lot Torq, for this actual feedback on Tigor EV. Its the overall feel and long term cost of ownership that is making me seriously consider Tiago EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarersc300 View Post
My vote would be for Tiago EV. The savings over the next 7 years of ownership will more than cover any unexpected visits to the workshop.

The only decision to make is whether the fit and finish is acceptable, rest there's no other issue to worry about. Since you live in Pune and want to use the car within city limits make the most of the use case and save truckloads of money while plastering a smile when you experience instant torque from standstill.
I'm planning to test drive the TATA Tigor EV just to get an idea of how the overall performance is as compared to other AT hatchback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhavShatna95 View Post
I have similar usage patterns and my best friend got Tigor EV last year. Thought it might be underpowered and so on but once I drove it, nothing comes close as a city car. Fantastic acceleration and 0 noise or vibrations. The feel of automatic is in a different league vs any other ICE gearbox, especially AMT/CVT.

I have pre booked Tiago EV myself now.
Congrats on booking the Tiago EV VaibhavShantna. I'm planning to test drive the Tigor EV tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellip5i5 View Post
My suggestion is that you consider the Honda Amaze CVT, it is similar in dimension to the i20 / Baleno
I have shortlisted Honda Jazz CVT for the better build qulaity it offers over Honda Amaze CVT. Thanks alot for the suggestion ellip5i5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
The Tata EV’s are great but at a very different price point. The Tiago EV model OP has selected is around 12L OTR for a Tiago which is a 6-7 L car (ICE).

At 12 L, one has many more options than around 8L.
Hey VPJ74, actually the subsidy on the EV which was available previously, has now been withdrawn and hence the OTR for top end Tiago EV reaches 12 Lakhs. Even I feel it is a little more and hence thought of checking out preowned hatchback AT.

Thanks a lot everyone, the suggestions in this thread have brought in a lot of clarity. Tomorrow I'm visiting TATA dealership to check out the Tigor EV and also plan to visit some preowned car showrooms to check out Honda Jazz AT and Maruti Suzuki Brezza AT.

Will keep you guys posted.
Old 19th December 2022, 13:35   #24
CPJ
BHPian

So yesterday was an exciting day!

Test Drove:
  1. TATA TIGOR EV
  2. TATA TIAGO (PETROL MT)
  3. TATA PUNCH AMT

The test drives were conducted on the same route for all three vehicles with a good mix of highway and city drive. We delibrately wanted to try out all three transmissions to figure out the best option for us without any bias.

Now I dont want to write a detailed pros and cons of each car, as you guys are very well aware of the same, but we ended up booking TATA TIAGO EV (24 KW) XZ+ Tech Lux Variant in Topical Mist Color.

The main reason for going ahead with Tiago EV:
  1. The smooth automatic gearbox.
  2. Driving feel of the EV's, helped greatly due to the low NVH inside the cabin.
  3. Space and features on offer.
  4. Long warranty for the Battery (1,60,000 KM or 8 Years)
  5. Overall cost of ownership.
TIAGO EV is a hot seller and the TATA Dealership we booked our car already has more than 200 bookings for TIAGO EV. Expected delivery timeline is April 2023. Hoping for an early delivery.
CPJ is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks