Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2022, 15:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle

Having driven the Altroz iTurbo, I will anyday get it over the i20 N line.
1. The Altroz looks way better than the N line.
2. It's safer with it's 5 star GNCAP rating. Even if I consider that it was tested under the old regime, the i20 too scored 3 in the same set of tests.
3. It's got a proper Manual.
4. It handles pretty well. Might not be N line types but it's enough to keep me interested

Hyundai's ill famed safety and other issues are enough to keep me away from them. Given the current scenario, I will not only avoid getting a Hyundai-Kia car for myself but also prevent people in my circle from getting one.

As far as power is concerned, I don't feel any lack of power in the iTurbo, although if needed I will get a remap on it.

Last edited by tanbeamer : 30th December 2022 at 15:41. Reason: Missed some points. Had to add them
tanbeamer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 16:23   #17
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle

Having driven altroz iturbo i just have one suggestion for you, drive it in sports mode, because the regular city/eco mode is not meant for this car.
yesyeswe is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 19:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibi6613 View Post

Looking forward to hearing from you folks about how I should be going ahead with my decision.
My suggestion is neither! If you are not too fussy about the body styles, why not consider a Kia Sonet HTX iMT?

Reasoning- I was under a similar conundrum as you earlier this year. I drive an Ecosport S TDCI, and I am very happy with it. On highways it's a delight. Situation changes in city conditions, with hard clutch and GB(but GB is a joy to use).

In the Non Covid world, my office had opened up in Feb 2022, and with my looming marriage, we felt there was need of a second car. I finalised on the Sonet iMT HTX Turbo. It's been nearly a great ownership experience, with absolutely 0 niggles. The OTR price came out to 12.7L (with extended warranty and accessories), and this should comfortably undercut i20 N Line by a significant margin. Do test drive this, as the steering response is brilliant (not Ecosport levels, but I feel it's really close).

Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_20220313_134620.jpg
Can't help sharing a pic of my steed.

Happy shopping!
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 20:20   #19

Here's my 2 cents: I own a Tiago JTP with the same turbo 1.2 engine. The iturbo is tuned more conservatively but they are the same engine.

Please also take into account the service situation with tata especially in Bangalore. The service centres are swamped with cars and from experience I can tell you tata ASC is bad when they're under no load. Imagine with time constraints.

The engine is quite good. Like already suggested do try the sport mode the city mode is mapped very poorly. It's a previous gen engine with port injection so it is moderately reliable. Turbo charger seals and valve covers are a known problem.

As much as the i20 N line is grossly overpriced, I would definitely recommend it over a Tata product. My experience with JTP needs an extensive write up which I hope to do soon.

Happy motoring!
Lemonysnicketz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 00:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post

check out GTO's thread about how a more expensive car might work out cheaper in the long run.

Off-topic, but can you link this thread if you know it?
I tried searching but not really sure what to search and would like to read this thread.
Old 31st December 2022, 06:14   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If you are ready to move past hatchbacks, a few alternatives you could consider in this price range (11 lakhs to 15.3 lakhs Onroad Bangalore) are:

Renault Kiger Turbo CVT
Although not as sporty or performance-oriented as the I20 N-line DCT, the Kiger CVT with 100 bhp of power and 152 nm of torque is certainly no slouch. However, it looks like a beefed-up Kwid and looks built to a cost. However, it is a value-for-money proposition and could be considered if you are able to look past these drawbacks. 4 airbags and a 4-star NCAP rating are reassuring too.
RXT (O) Turbo CVT at under 12 lakhs and RXZ Turbo CVT at under 13 lakhs are the variants worth considering in this price range.

Nissan Magnite Turbo CVT
Similar formula to its sibling the Kiger but with much more active safety features on board.
Variants to be considered range from XV Turbo CVT at under 11.7 lakhs to the XV Premium Turbo CVT at under 13 lakhs.

Kia Sonet DCT
The Kia Sonet DCT is also an option worth considering in this price range with a similar feature set as the I20. The engine and gearbox are identical, fit, finish and quality levels are up to the mark and it's a hot seller too. Do consider the HTX DCT variant at under 14.3 lakhs.

Hyundai Venue DCT
Sibling to the Sonet, recently updated for 2022, and a hot seller as well. The S(O) Turbo DCT at under 13.7 lakhs is an option worth considering.

Although the i20 N-line DCT has been tuned towards performance, the price also shows for the additional upgrades over the standard version. Therefore, if you truly value the additional upgrades over the standard i20, you should consider it and shouldn't look back. Else these options are definitely worth a look.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 11:10   #22
BHPian

i20 N Line is a great fun to drive car, but it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of fit, finish and paint quality. It's not bad, but it's also nothing great. No comparison to the well built Polo there. But between the altroz and the i20 I would suggest the i20 purely for the fun factor.
Old 1st January 2023, 16:41   #23
BHPian

Wishing everyone here a very Happy New Year!

Thank you all for your suggestions! I did go through all of them and I’ve read and thought about every single comment here multiple times. Every reply was extremely valuable and it feels nice to be a part of such an enthusiastic crowd willing to help out others!

I have finally decided to take the plunge and go ahead with the i20 N8 Nline DCT. I am thinking of choosing Advaith Hyundai as the showroom is just around 1km from my home in Bangalore. But I want to get the vehicle registered in TN as I’m assuming that it’ll be primarily used there after ~2years. I’ve got a bunch of questions and I would appreciate any help!
1. What’s the procedure to buy a car in KA and register it in TN?
2. Where do I have to pay road tax? How does loan from bank work in this case?
3. What is the 1% Tax collected at Source that I’m paying? Can I get it as a rebate when filing ITR?
4. What does a good insurance plan include?
5. I am going to get the highest extended warranty that I can get given that it’s a DCA. Do I have to purchase any other plans/packages from the dealer?
6. Are are other things that I should keep in mind while going ahead with the booking? What are the general ‘good practices’ while booking a car?
sibi6613 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 01:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
Off-topic, but can you link this thread if you know it?
I tried searching but not really sure what to search and would like to read this thread.
You can find the article here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-...rk-out-cheaper
sibi6613 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 13:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I have finally decided to take the plunge and go ahead with the i20 N8 Nline DCT. I am thinking of choosing Advaith Hyundai as the showroom is just around 1km from my home in Bangalore. But I want to get the vehicle registered in TN as I’m assuming that it’ll be primarily used there after ~2years. I’ve got a bunch of questions and I would appreciate any help!
Since it is going to be in Bengaluru for just 2 years, I feel you would be better of purchasing and registering your vehicle in TN itself.
Old 3rd January 2023, 18:19   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I’ve got a bunch of questions and I would appreciate any help!
3. What is the 1% Tax collected at Source that I’m paying? Can I get it as a rebate when filing ITR?
5. I am going to get the highest extended warranty that I can get given that it’s a DCA. Do I have to purchase any other plans/packages from the dealer?
6. Are are other things that I should keep in mind while going ahead with the booking? What are the general ‘good practices’ while booking a car?
Congrats on your choice and I absolutely feel this is the right way to go! Now moving forward to your questions.

Most dealerships now offer multi-state deliveries and registrations, do check it out with the dealership and they will help get your car registered in Tamil Nadu. or else you could get a BH registration if you are eligible for the same too.

You have to pay the Road tax in the state where you are registering it. Ideally, since you are going to use it in Bangalore for the first two years and then use it in Tamil Nadu, you should register it in Bangalore, but the Road Tax in Bangalore is the highest (if not, one of the highest) in India, so you would better off with a BH registration (if you are eligible for the same). The loan from Bank will work regardless of where you purchase it, you need to inform the details to the bank first and they will work around it.

1% TCS is collected on all cars having an ex-showroom price of 10 lakhs or more, You can get the same deducted from your tax liability while filing ITR.

Insurance plans for cars nowadays come with 1-year Own Damage and 3 Year Third Party cover, make sure that your plan is zero depreciation, has a return to invoice cover, consumables cover, and any other cover which you feel is absolutely necessary according to your circumstances. The IDV of the policy should ideally be 95% of the ex-showroom price of the car. Roadside assistance, Key loss cover, passenger assistance cover, protection of NCB cover, Engine protection cover, Tyre and Rim cover, Loss of personal belongings, etc are some of the other covers you could opt for according to your requirements.

Hyundai now offers an extended warranty of up to 7 years, so it would be good to go with it. You could also opt for the 5-year Hyundai Shield of Trust which offers many benefits like the lowest maintenance cost, major parts coverage, etc.

Understand all the terms and conditions of the booking, official waiting times and waiting times quoted to you by the dealership, and ensure your booking docket is sent to you immediately on payment of the booking amount.

Hope it helps and wishing you a happy booking and ownership experience!
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 19:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Two days in, I was scrolling Spinny for used 1.0 TSI Polos and I came across a 2021 i20 Turbo petrol iMT. Hyundai was never even on my radar given their lower NCAP safety scores (my primary usage will be on the highways between Bangalore-Karur/Erode with limited usage in the city). I wanted to test the iMT because I've never experienced it before and I thought I might do a bit of competitive intel as well, w.r.t the Turbo petrol engine. After all, I was going to take a TD of the Altroz Turbo and it was going to be my first car!

But boy was I wrong! A 10-min of the i20 TD within Coimbatore's traffic had me smiling for a solid couple of hours! The iMT worked much smoother than I expected it to. It can take most situations thrown at it except for very quick shifts. I wasn't impressed by the GB enough to consider owning an iMT car, but I was definitely impressed by the Turbo Petrol! I'm sure it doesn't pull like the Polo does, but it still is VERY capable for our Indian roads! Though I liked the engine, I still wasn't sure if this was the car for me as I felt that the steering had a lot of deadzone initially and the it felt a bit disconnected. I've been researching about the i20 and the N-Line version of the car for a few days now and I am convinced that the N-Line is the car for me, owing to its stiffer suspension and better steering.

Now, here's the conundrum. The i20 N-Line DCT costs 15.3L OTR

My heart yearns for the i20 N-Line DCT while my head says Altroz is a saner choice.

Looking forward to hearing from you folks about how I should be going ahead with my decision.
I am a bit confused with your write-up. You have test driven i20 N Line iMT and you are considering i20 N Line DCT post that.

iMT and DCT are significantly different technologies. For "true" automatic, DCT would serve the purpose but I have personally been wary of its long term reliability. An iMT would be much easier on the pocket/long term maintenance aspects.

I was in the same dilemma few months ago.

Decided to avoid Tata as they did not even bother to arrange an Altroz test drive after almost 5 weeks of follow up.

Almost decided on iMT versus DCT, but then again decided to go ahead with a fully automatic, so that my wife could drive too, and also with a naturally aspirated (NA) engine (looking for long term reliability and peace of mind), and settled for Honda Jazz CVT (while it is still being sold). Am quite happy with the car and mentally relaxed thanks to its unmatched long-term reliability (15+ years easily!).

I do not want to confuse you at this stage of your decision making, but please be aware that going with a Turbo engine + DCT combo is leading to expensive purchase (already) and might lead to expensive maintenance (goodness forbid, but a possibility!). I know this write-up might raise some eyebrows, but sharing my learning after going through an immense amount of threads on this great forum All the best with whatever you finally choose!
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 22:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

IMT felt like the worst of both worlds - you have to choose gears, but you lose the finer control over the engine the clutch gives you. That way the DCT is better
if you are worried about expenses, get an extended warranty!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 10:39   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Altroz Sport variant to be showcased at Auto Expo 2023.

Link (Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2023)
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 22:08   #30
BHPian

Let me put in my 2 paisa.

After I sold my Linea Tjet (due to lack of proper service where I live), I tried the Altroz Turbo. Did not find it fun at all. The fit and finish was not too impressive either.

I did not want a Hyundai at all. I went to the showroom as it was very close by. One short TD of the NLine (DCT), just a few minutes is all I needed. I paid the booking amount right away. Great fun car. Buy it, I say.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks