Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2023, 21:26   #1
BHPian

A fun-to-drive pre-owned car for an enthusiast

Hey there fellow BHPians! I'm posting this on behalf of my friend, who is also a BHPian (but rarely visits). So he's looking to get his first four wheeled companion. He is interested in a fun to drive car, and is going the used route to save some pennies (and is dissatisfied by the current offerings). There are only few conditions.
  • Fun to drive
  • Should be easy on pocket
  • Good mod potential
  • Budget is under 5 lakhs
  • Preferably something between MY 2011-2014

The options that came to my mind were Polo, Swift (diesel) and Figo (diesel).
I am also ready to include your suggestions.
subie_socal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 21:56   #2
BHPian

re: A fun-to-drive pre-owned car for an enthusiast

3rd Gen Honda City with a manual box. That car has so much character. 7k RPMs, sorted dynamics, Honda reliability. You’ll easily find mint examples for ~5 lakhs.

If in doubt, let me tell you about the 7k redline again haha.
revsperminute is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 22:52   #3
BHPian

As much I'd love to recommend the Figo, Ford having exited India makes the "easy on the pocket" criterion that much harder to meet.

A third-generation Honda City as suggested above would be a great idea and also my first choice. Another option could be a Maruti SX4. The 1.6 litre petrol was quite punchy according to what I've heard and the dynamics do not disappoint either.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 7th March 2023 at 22:54.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 00:09   #4
BHPian

My vote goes for Polo Diesel, their petrol pre 1.2TSI isn’t an ebthusiast choice. Diesel has a credible name in the community. Also if you go for manual, there wouldn’t be any DSG threat. Plus, it’s mod friendly. patience is the key to find a best deal for a perfect car in the pre worshipped route.
Happy shopping
Jangra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 08:23   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A fun-to-drive pre-owned car for an enthusiast

Truly. If hatchback, then the Polo is just perfect with its enthusiast engine options, timeless styling & solid build. 2nd, safer choice = Swift.

If open to others, a late model Honda Civic. Still looks good, very mod friendly, among the best hydraulic steering setups sold in India and a rev-happy engine. These cars go cheap because of poor demand.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 20:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Figo diesel. Eyes closed. Practical, cheap to run and oodles of fun. As for Ford service and maintenance, it's dirt cheap . I drive an Ecosport tdci and a Honda City, and the Ecosport is way cheaper to service and maintain than the City. Both are relatively new cars each having covered 23 k kms. The tdci engine is also very reliable and an absolute joy to drive on the highway.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 21:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

1. Fiat Abarth
2. Fiat Tjet
3. Polo Tsi
4. Figo Diesel
5. Swift Diesel
6. Polo/Vento 1.6 TDI

All the above under cars would be under 5lacs. Further you can tune these cars with remaps and stage 2 hardware as well.
Old 10th March 2023, 22:59   #8
BHPian

I was in the market with similar requirements a few months back. Ended up buying a Figo S '18 and I am super happy with the purchase. All the Ford service centers are still in service(ford has promised another 10 years of support AFAIK) and parts are readily available.So i don't think ownership will be a problem. The 1.5 tdci is a gem of an engine with handling to go with it. Cherry on the top is the cost of ownership I end up spending more on annual service on my Honda Cbr 250r. And then are the mod potentials.
I was on the lookout for a Polo 1.5tdi or 1.0tsi as well. But finding a Polo which is not abused and meets the money criteria is quite difficult in today's market.
Another option in my opinion is Honda City third gen in manual. The way the engine revs
Lastly if your friend can find a Cedia in good shape, it's a brilliant piece of machinery. Very basic in terms of creature comfort though
Old 11th March 2023, 13:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Honda Brio 1.2 vTec.
A gem of a car.
Easy on the pocket
Redlines to 7 k.
One of the best engines ( in india)
ac 427 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 13:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

First Gen 1.3L Swift Petrol. That loved to be revved up and was a hoot to drive

Just another suggestion along with others.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 20:10   #11
BHPian

As a Mitsubishi fanboy, I'd say get a Cedia. You'd get one for half this price and a priceless smile every time you drive it.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 01:27   #12
BHPian

See if you can put your hands on a Ford Fiesta 1.6S or a Punto Abarth or a Honda City 3rd Gen for sure! If I was you, I would have zeroed in on the Mitsubishi Cedia or a Skoda Laura TSi
RenuKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 17:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
1. Fiat Abarth
2. Fiat Tjet

All the above under cars would be under 5lacs. Further you can tune these cars with remaps and stage 2 hardware as well.
How is the support (read: sourcing spares) for the Italians? As much as I love to recommend, I'm too skeptical..
Old 12th March 2023, 17:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
First Gen 1.3L Swift Petrol. That loved to be revved up and was a hoot to drive

Just another suggestion along with others.
Thanks, I too suggested to get the first gen over the second gen, if he chose to go the Suzuki route. Maybe Ritz too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
See if you can put your hands on a Ford Fiesta 1.6S or a Punto Abarth or a Honda City 3rd Gen for sure! If I was you, I would have zeroed in on the Mitsubishi Cedia or a Skoda Laura TSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
3rd Gen Honda City with a manual box. That car has so much character. 7k RPMs, sorted dynamics, Honda reliability. You’ll easily find mint examples for ~5 lakhs.

If in doubt, let me tell you about the 7k redline again haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
As much I'd love to recommend the Figo, Ford having exited India makes the "easy on the pocket" criterion that much harder to meet.

A third-generation Honda City as suggested above would be a great idea and also my first choice. Another option could be a Maruti SX4. The 1.6 litre petrol was quite punchy according to what I've heard and the dynamics do not disappoint either.
You and I think alike . Not sure if he's willing to handle sedans as the roads in my city are much narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post
I was in the market with similar requirements a few months back. Ended up buying a Figo S '18 and I am super happy with the purchase. All the Ford service centers are still in service(ford has promised another 10 years of support AFAIK) and parts are readily available.So i don't think ownership will be a problem. The 1.5 tdci is a gem of an engine with handling to go with it. Cherry on the top is the cost of ownership I end up spending more on annual service on my Honda Cbr 250r. And then are the mod potentials.
I was on the lookout for a Polo 1.5tdi or 1.0tsi as well. But finding a Polo which is not abused and meets the money criteria is quite difficult in today's market.
Another option in my opinion is Honda City third gen in manual. The way the engine revs
Lastly if your friend can find a Cedia in good shape, it's a brilliant piece of machinery. Very basic in terms of creature comfort though
Hmmm, Cedia is good but is it easy on pocket?
subie_socal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 07:40   #15
BHPian

Under 5L and fun to drive you can consider a Figo/Freestyle or EcoSport TDCi(all BS4 engines) or even the last gen Fiesta (can be bought under 3L)

If you want mod friendliness, the facelift EcoSport has immense potential! But the budget has to be bumped up by a couple of lakhs. You can see my car's thread as an example to understand better

My thread link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-ecosport.html (How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!)

Pages 1,2 and 4 will have the mod content

Easy on the pocket for service as well as good fuel efficiency. In terms of parts at least till this decade we will get parts for the Ford!

Last edited by jithin23 : 17th March 2023 at 07:43. Reason: Added content

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks