Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2023, 18:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Vs Maruti Ignis Vs Hyundai Grand i10 Nios | City car for my wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
As owner of both Tigor AMT (Tiago's elder sibling) and Ignis Petrol MT, I can give you some feedback.

The Tigor's has clocked 32k kms in last 5.5 years. The only grouse with Tigor I have is with how the AMT is tuned on this particular variant (2017-2018). There are two modes on offer - City and Sport. While City mode dulls the performance a little too much (you need to be generous with throttle to keep up with city traffic), the Sport mode is completely opposite (in a not so good way), being peaky and jerky.

Now in later iterations of Tiago/Tigor AMT (post 2019), they have removed drive modes altogether. So I guess there should be definite improvement.

The Tigor/Tiago is very well built, and can literally glide over potholes. And to be honest, the engine itself has good low end torque and power, and easily reaches city speed limits quickly.

Coming to the Ignis, it is much much more smoother to drive, even though its MT. The 4 cylinder engine has linear and smooth power delivery with sharp throttle responses.

Biggest plus of the Ignis over the Tigor is the FE. While Ignis can return 17-18kmpl in congested city traffic, the Tigor struggles to give 13kmpl.

Apart from that, the service experience in Maruti is much much better than that of TATA.
Thanks mate, it was quite useful info. In terms of FE, no one can beat Maruti. Also Maruti gives you 100% peace of mind. Tata has improved but still they are not there yet. Many times their authorized service center is not able to solve the problems which is very annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhavShatna95 View Post
I have taken my Nios with CNG, luggage and 3 hefty adults over some of the most broken roads in monsoon twice over mountains in North India and I have never managed to scrape it once. Ground clearance is good in my opinion, doesn't feel any different than Tiago, Figo or anything else in this segment and I have purchased almost all cars in this segment from Maruti, Hyundai, Tata and Ford
Plus for rear you get AC vents and my mother thinks i10 is better at rear seat comfort than Tiago EV I purchased just a few days ago.

I would not have touched the old grand i10 because of its styling with a barge pole and the new one seems cool to me but to each his own I guess. I would rather take Sportz of Nios vs Tiago ICE as engine is also 4 cyclinder vs 3.
Decide among Swift and Nios as others are not competitive enough at this moment in this segment with AMT or give a try to Amaze, it has a much better gearbox and space management altogether.
Personal choice mate, I never like too much curvy designs. That's why I always liked designs of Polo, Old Figo, Grand i10, etc. Personally I don't want to spend too much as this is going to be my second car, mainly used by wife for city use. Also wife wants taller car so that she can drive comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Based on your analysis itself, you can consider the Tata Tiago. It is a good-looking car with ample ground clearance and an overall nice package, boasting a 4-star rating. If you're not inclined towards the Nios, it appears that you may not be fond of its design and it has only 2.5 rating on crash test.
I have concerns over Tata's long term reliability, FE it gives and service I would get. Also aging and resale value are other 2 factors. Maruti gives you maximum resale value for sure & Tata has very average resale till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Since its required only for city usage, I would strongly suggest TIAGO.EV

Yes, its a bit of a stretch considering your budget but the sheer value proposition compared to all the others you are considering is tremendous.

+All 3 of them have an AMT & Tiago.EV will be way smoother than all of them.
+Electric engine is faster and smoother than any petrol counterpart.
+Feature-wise again the EV has features from segment above.
+Cost of ownership will be much lower as long as you have a charging setup in your house/apartment.
- Don't have proper charging facility at my place.
- Initial cost will be high.
- Resale might be very less.
Old 20th June 2023, 21:22   #17
KPR
BANNED

Choice is easy here. My pick will be i10 Nios for the 6 airbags that it offers. From Oct 23 6 airbags rule will be mandatory so you're protected for future as well.
Old 21st June 2023, 09:54   #18
BHPian

Go for i10 Nios eyes closed. I have a New Santro AMT at my home - it is much better than the Tata AMTs. i10 Nios will be an excellent second car for you. Being an owner of another Tata (Hexa XTA) myself, I wouldn't prefer a Tata these days - service visits are real pain. Hyundai ASS is slightly costly, but network is available in abundance and service is hassle free.
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 10:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

1. Tata Tiago
2. Hyundai i10 Grand Nios
3. Maruti Ignis
Are you open for pre owned market? If yes, a 4th Gen City CVT, Yaris CVT and Amaze Diesel/Petrol CVT are great options. Even a Jazz CVT should be great option. A 2-4 year old car from the above mentioned manufacturers should mean the reliability aspect is sorted for you for atleast a decade.

If you want only new one's and from the above get the Nios. I feel Maruti is just too cheap (by quality of materials, cost cutting involved) and unsafe for any buyer in 2023. While tiago is most sorted Tata vehicle, the amt unit in any Tata car is prehistoric. Nios Amt is IMO as best as an AMT can get.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 10:37   #20
BHPian

Hi aniketi - With 8 lacs budget, I would suggest you to get Swift VXI AMT because it has high seating, very good AMT, reliable and it is fuel efficient too. Currently (atleast in NCR) about 40K offers are available in Swift AMT and Pune onroad price of Swift VXI AMT is 8.90 lacs.

Grand i10 Nios is also a good car with slightly better AMT integration than Swift, but Hyundai petrol engines are not fuel efficient (compared to Maruti). Grand i10 Nios is just 15K cheaper than Swift.

I personally feel Swift offers better value than Grand i10 Nios.

I would not recommend Tiago AMT or Ignis AMT.
Old 21st June 2023, 10:50   #21
BHPian

If pre-owned car is an option , I would suggest to look for a previous gen Hyundai Grand i10 petrol which had a torque converter automatic. Its compact , comes with 1.2L NA Petrol engine. Keep any eye on used car portals like Spinny.

AMT in dense city traffic is painful , CVT/TC is the best choice for city surfing.
AjinkyaP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 10:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

If I were in your position, i would have chosen between
  • Honda Jazz CVT
  • Yaris used car CVT
  • TATA Nexon EV
  • Citroen eC3 EV
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 10:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

The Ignis gets my vote purely from a petrolhead's perspective as it has the best engine in my opinion. Feels, revs and sounds better than the motors in the Hyundai or the Tata that said, one hardly has the space on the roads to experience what a well engineered japanese motor is capable of when compared to a similarly powerful but not as capable motor from another manufacturer, therefore lot of people go with Hyundais these days as they come with more sophisticated interiors and creature comforts. Whether you go for the Ignis or the i10 depends on how much you value which aspect thats all. Both are good in their own ways.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 10:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
  • Honda Jazz CVT
  • Yaris used car CVT
  • TATA Nexon EV
  • Citroen eC3 EV
- Honda Jazz is discontinued
- A used car doesn't make sense today given NGT's looming diktats
- He has already ruled out EVs.

DCEite is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 11:03   #25
BHPian

I would remove TATA from the list right away due to hit and a miss AMT experience. From the rest two options keeping individual points aside Nios is an overall much better product than Ignis. You can opt for Nios Magna with all basic bells and whistles. It's smoother and much easier to drive than Ignis, specially for women. Ignis has a vague steering which is pretty hard and completely dead. You will need to constantly provide inputs to keep it in a straight line. Same with few other Maruti cars like Wagon R. You would not regret spending a few bucks extra on Nios.
Maverick Avi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 11:17   #26
BHPian

I would like to throw Fronx Delta AGS into the consideration as well. Will cost around 10L on road. It looks good, has great suspension, sufficient ground clearance.

Further Ignis Alpha AGS is available in NCR at hefty discounts; almost 60-75k. You should check that out in Pune too.
buntee90 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 12:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Choice is easy here. My pick will be i10 Nios for the 6 airbags that it offers. From Oct 23 6 airbags rule will be mandatory so you're protected for future as well.
This will be my second car, purely for city use. So 6 airbags don't matter to me. It's costly for more than 1 lacs OTR. Will check again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Go for i10 Nios eyes closed. I have a New Santro AMT at my home - it is much better than the Tata AMTs. i10 Nios will be an excellent second car for you. Being an owner of another Tata (Hexa XTA) myself, I wouldn't prefer a Tata these days - service visits are real pain. Hyundai ASS is slightly costly, but network is available in abundance and service is hassle free.
I have never driven AMT from Hyundai, will try it. But as a overall package, Nios I am not liking due to it's design and low GC. No doubt they have best interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Are you open for pre owned market? If yes, a 4th Gen City CVT, Yaris CVT and Amaze Diesel/Petrol CVT are great options. Even a Jazz CVT should be great option. A 2-4 year old car from the above mentioned manufacturers should mean the reliability aspect is sorted for you for atleast a decade.

If you want only new one's and from the above get the Nios. I feel Maruti is just too cheap (by quality of materials, cost cutting involved) and unsafe for any buyer in 2023. While tiago is most sorted Tata vehicle, the amt unit in any Tata car is prehistoric. Nios Amt is IMO as best as an AMT can get.
This car will be for wife, so strictly small car, City or Yaris are too big for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hi aniketi - With 8 lacs budget, I would suggest you to get Swift VXI AMT because it has high seating, very good AMT, reliable and it is fuel efficient too. Currently (atleast in NCR) about 40K offers are available in Swift AMT and Pune onroad price of Swift VXI AMT is 8.90 lacs.

Grand i10 Nios is also a good car with slightly better AMT integration than Swift, but Hyundai petrol engines are not fuel efficient (compared to Maruti). Grand i10 Nios is just 15K cheaper than Swift.

I personally feel Swift offers better value than Grand i10 Nios.

I would not recommend Tiago AMT or Ignis AMT.
Now need to check Swift as well. But again, its over my budget by 1 lac. Also Vxi misses on few features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
If pre-owned car is an option , I would suggest to look for a previous gen Hyundai Grand i10 petrol which had a torque converter automatic. Its compact , comes with 1.2L NA Petrol engine. Keep any eye on used car portals like Spinny.

AMT in dense city traffic is painful , CVT/TC is the best choice for city surfing.
Already checked mate. 5-6 years old grand i10 are not less than 4.5 lacs & auto going till 5.5-6 lacs. No point in spending so much on 5+ years old car, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
  • Honda Jazz CVT
  • Yaris used car CVT
  • TATA Nexon EV
  • Citroen eC3 EV
EV's are way over my budget. Don't want to spend that much. Jazz is already out & no big car like Yaris, need strictly small car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Ignis gets my vote purely from a petrolhead's perspective as it has the best engine in my opinion. Feels, revs and sounds better than the motors in the Hyundai or the Tata that said, one hardly has the space on the roads to experience what a well engineered japanese motor is capable of when compared to a similarly powerful but not as capable motor from another manufacturer, therefore lot of people go with Hyundais these days as they come with more sophisticated interiors and creature comforts. Whether you go for the Ignis or the i10 depends on how much you value which aspect thats all. Both are good in their own ways.
Currently Ignis is front runner in my list. It is best of the lot considering all my requirements. It looks good (to me at least), has gem of a engine, has good GC, surprisingly good space, tall sitting position, enough features in Zeta variant and all these at reasonable price. Cherry on top is some nice discounts they are offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
- Honda Jazz is discontinued
- A used car doesn't make sense today given NGT's looming diktats
- He has already ruled out EVs.

Correct. Considering high prices of preowned cars, it really don't make sense to me. Why I will put 5 lacs for 5+ years old car when I am getting much better, refined (BS6 - stage 2) engine, latest model with all new features at 8 lacs? Also new car will have good resale value after 5 years which preowned car will not have at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
I would remove TATA from the list right away due to hit and a miss AMT experience. From the rest two options keeping individual points aside Nios is an overall much better product than Ignis. You can opt for Nios Magna with all basic bells and whistles. It's smoother and much easier to drive than Ignis, specially for women. Ignis has a vague steering which is pretty hard and completely dead. You will need to constantly provide inputs to keep it in a straight line. Same with few other Maruti cars like Wagon R. You would not regret spending a few bucks extra on Nios.
Service and reliability is big concern for me when it comes to Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntee90 View Post
I would like to throw Fronx Delta AGS into the consideration as well. Will cost around 10L on road. It looks good, has great suspension, sufficient ground clearance.

Further Ignis Alpha AGS is available in NCR at hefty discounts; almost 60-75k. You should check that out in Pune too.
Fronx AGS will cross 11 lacs OTR for Delta. Checking Ignis only.

Last edited by aniketi : 21st June 2023 at 12:28.
Old 21st June 2023, 12:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
This will be my second car, purely for city use. So 6 airbags don't matter to me. It's costly for more than 1 lacs OTR. Will check again.

Now need to check Swift as well. But again, its over my budget by 1 lac. Also Vxi misses on few features.

Hi, following features are not there in Swift (VXI AMT) but will be there in Grand i10 Nios (Magna AMT)

1. Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
2. Side Airbags (Swift has 2 airbags)
3. Rear AC Vents (Swift AC is excellent though)

Everything else is same feature wise. Beside Swift is Longer & Wider than Grand i10.

My colleagues who drive Swift AMT gets 18 to 19 kmpl in Noida to ITO Delhi route (in pure Delhi traffic which is similar to Pune's bad traffic, it might give 16 to 17 kmpl FE). Grand i10 Nios will not give more than 12 to 14 kmpl even on slightly less traffic roads (not highways).

Just to add, I am not Maruti or Swift fan. I have used Swift MT from 2008 to 2013 (65k kms) and I still regret selling it.

Ignis Delta onroad Pune is around 8.25 lacs and Zeta is around 8.90 lacs with approx. 60K offers.

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 21st June 2023 at 12:56.
Old 21st June 2023, 13:19   #29
KPR
BANNED

Quote:

Currently Ignis is front runner in my list. It is best of the lot considering all my requirements. It looks good (to me at least), has gem of a engine, has good GC, surprisingly good space, tall sitting position, enough features in Zeta variant and all these at reasonable price. Cherry on top is some nice discounts they are offering.
For some reason we hated driving our Ignis Delta AMT. It was used by family for city run abouts. After 20k km and 2 years we sold it as no one really had any liking to Ignis. The steering won't return to center in it. It has those bulged out wheel arches. In our car the right rear wheel arch was frequently banged in walls, gates and by other users on road for some peculiar reason. We currently drive an Alto and are happy about it as it is very much traffic friendly even in places like flower/veg market, school areas . Don't rule out new Alto with AMT. Try TD of it as well.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 14:10   #30
BHPian

Why don’t you consider Hyundai i20 sportz CVT automatic?
It has all the features, space and also comfort of proper automatic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks