1.2L NA Petrol + 6-speed DCA 53 26.63%
1.2L NA Petrol-CNG + 5-speed MT 7 3.52%
1.2L Turbo-Petrol + 5-speed MT 40 20.10%
1.5L Turbo-Diesel + 5-speed MT 97 48.74%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2023, 14:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz | Which of the 5 engine + gearbox combinations would you buy?

Not exactly threadjacking intentionally but I actually am contemplating one and this is the exact dilemma I have, so this poll seems to have increased my confusion. I'll be here reading every reply in days to come to arrive at a conclusion to vote with my money.

First preference is iTurbo, but the only worry is relatively poor resale value+long term parts availability as this variant might not be selling in good numbers (we dont just keep a car long term, we squeeze every bit out of it). Plus how many niggles and long term issues it might come with.

Second preference towards NA+DCA but similar dilemma as above.

Third preference and makes most logical sense is the regular 1.2NA+MT for now.

Can any iTurbo long term users shed some light on my dilemma above?

Also in the hindsight waiting for the mid-life facelift or something, which brings updated infotainment and MID a-la-Harrier/Safari just like they showed in Altroz Racer.
Old 1st July 2023, 14:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
High speed stability is one of the USP for Altroz. Maybe there was a problem with tyres or air pressure when you drove.

In fact, engine and GB combination doesn't even send the car to such an unstable situation at most cases.

None of the premium hatchback is VFM.

Again I guess you were confused with instant acceleration and power offered. It's adequate 90% of cases.
Maybe.. I guess yeah, but the pressure was 32 psi all round. And yeah, none of the 'premium' hatches are VFM.. And yes, I got the acceleration and power confused.. Silly me!
Old 1st July 2023, 16:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
Not exactly threadjacking intentionally but I actually am contemplating one and this is the exact dilemma I have, so this poll seems to have increased my confusion. I'll be here reading every reply in days to come to arrive at a conclusion to vote with my money.

First preference is iTurbo, but the only worry is relatively poor resale value+long term parts availability as this variant might not be selling in good numbers (we dont just keep a car long term, we squeeze every bit out of it). Plus how many niggles and long term issues it might come with.

Second preference towards NA+DCA but similar dilemma as above.

Third preference and makes most logical sense is the regular 1.2NA+MT for now.

Also in the hindsight waiting for the mid-life facelift or something, which brings updated infotainment and MID a-la-Harrier/Safari just like they showed in Altroz Racer.
Do not fret too much over potential powertrain issues. We are owners of the Nexon 1.2 turbo petrol since 2019 and it has proved to be absolutely reliable. We have driven it to various corners of the country, used it extensively in the hills and it hasn't failed once. Yes, the Tata petrol engines take a long time to "free-up" and it won't be before 3000-3500 kms with an oil change that it'll truly perform well. As this is essentially the same engine that powers the Altroz, in a detuned avatar.
Yes, resale will not be good. That is a given for almost all TML vehicles, right from the days of the Indica. Individual resale may fetch you slightly better prices than dealer offerings.
Old 1st July 2023, 18:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Do not fret too much over potential powertrain issues. We are owners of the Nexon 1.2 turbo petrol since 2019 and it has proved to be absolutely reliable. .......... As this is essentially the same engine that powers the Altroz, in a detuned avatar.
Yes, resale will not be good. That is a given for almost all TML vehicles, right from the days of the Indica. Individual resale may fetch you slightly better prices than dealer offerings.
This definitely helps and is more encouraging.

Yes I know about Tata resale value overall but I meant iTurbo resale compared to regular NA resale.
Old 1st July 2023, 18:41   #20
BHPian

I voted for 1.5 diesel MT. My cousin has a 1.2 NA petrol MT. When we did car shopping for him during February 2023, I had the opportunity to test drive both NA petrol and diesel. I was wow’ d by the diesel engine performance. Coming from a Honda petrol, I found the clutch to be slightly heavier. Otherwise, I totally liked it. If I had been in his place, I would have purchased the diesel.
Old 1st July 2023, 18:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the DCA one! I have it and as mentioned in my Altroz thread, the DCA gearbox is the single reason I would go for it. The next choice would be 1.5 diesel MT. How I wish they would offer the DCA + Turbo Petrol combo in this car!!
W.A.G.7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 19:42   #22
BHPian

I own a 1.2 NA Petrol XZ(O). Honestly I wish Tata will introduce below variants soon;

1) 1.0 / 1.2 Turbo Petrol DCA ( Will soon upgrade if available )
2) 1.2 NA Petrol-CNG DCA
3) EV ( Not a fan of BEV )
4) Plug in Hybrid ( Will remain distant dreams at least for next 4 years )

My Beauty
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz | Which of the 5 engine + gearbox combinations would you buy?-img6893.jpg  

Turbosailor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 23:56   #23
BHPian

Voted for the 1.5 Turbo Diesel engine, primarily because it shares its parts with Nexon and has undergone enough road test.

The 1.2 Turbo Petrol is the worst of the lot. It is plagued with serious quality and testing issues.
I personally know of 3 Turbo Petrol Altroz- which had major issues with ECU and engine management. The car would go into limp mode in the middle of a regular drive.
Generally, we have lemons in assembly line. However, in this case, the current 1.2 Turbo Petrol was a walking talking lemon tree which barely bore a green leaf by accident!

As long as Tata sources their engines from other manufacturers, they do a decent job - The Saffire/Zest/Bolt were good at heart.
Old 2nd July 2023, 12:04   #24
BHPian

Voted for the TurboPetrol Manual

Driven both the diesel and TurboPetrol (short test drives just for the fun of it while buying a harrier), both are tough to choose from, both are quite capable, and my ideal vehicle would be a 6 speed turbo manual or atleast the DCA with the turbopetrol engine.

Would not buy a diesel as I live in the NCR and have a very capable and safe highway car for long highway drives.
regards kaps454
Old 3rd July 2023, 17:46   #25
BHPian

Voted for 1.2L NA+DCA. I wish to vote for 1.5L turbo diesel but Tata didn't provide an automatic there.

I test-drove DCA and it is such a breeze (I tested it after Nexon AMT). wish to have DCA with turbo.

Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 01:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post

Hi Prasun,

I got delivery of my iTurbo in Oct 2021. I have had a niggle free experience and I found iTurbo to be a perfectly well balanced car. I plan to keep cars for long so I was not concerned about resale value. Also, I don't think part availability will be a big concern for this variant since iTurbo shares it's engine with Nexon and it's transmission with Tiago.

According to me iTurbo fixes the biggest issue with the base Altroz which is the sluggish engine. Note that I was also eyeing the Turbodiesel initially, but then I realized that I live in Delhi NCR and it may not be the best place for a diesel car in the long term.

For the final part of your question: there is limited certainty on when (if?) Altroz racer will arrive. In the past, they had showcased sporty variants of Indica, only to never release them.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions about this variant.
aishwaryamaurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 06:41   #27
BHPian

Voted for the 1.5L Turbo Diesel + 5MT.

Now the old me would've picked the 1.2L Turbo Petrol because well, it's the most powerful engine available but fellow Bhpian PrasannaDhana's ownership thread has changed my views. The mix of performance, fuel efficiency and handling is perfect.

Sure, it doesn't get the Nexon Diesel's state of tune (89hp/200nm vs 110hp/260nm) but if you do want more power it's nothing a new Air filter + a visit to a reputable tuner like WolfMoto down in Ernakulam, Kerala. I believe they're the ones who handled Bhpian Dr.Naren's 202bhp 1.6L Diesel S-Cross.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 08:15   #28
BHPian

I have voted for the Petrol DCT.

I have recommended to two of my friends who are happy with the car and the engine, although both are sedate drivers.
I am waiting for the 1.2 ltr T-Gdi engine with the DCT which is speculated to be offered in the Nexon and once that comes would complement my Altis CVT.
Old 4th July 2023, 09:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Very predictable given that we did a similar poll minus the CNG and the results are same
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...d-you-buy.html
Old 4th July 2023, 11:11   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Very predictable given that we did a similar poll minus the CNG and the results are same
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...d-you-buy.html
But real world numbers are polar opposite to what the poll suggests. Real world numbers, I assume are in this order:

1. 1.2 NA petrol (MT+DCA)
2. 1.2 turbo petrol MT
3. 1.5 turbo diesel MT

Numbers might change in the future as follows:

1. 1.2 NA petrol, MT + DCA combined
2. 1.2 NA CNG
3. EV
4. 1.2 turbo petrol
5. 1.5 turbo diesel (1.5D future itself is uncertain, let alone AT in diesel)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks