Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2007, 21:19   #1

Which first car???

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. Been through this site number of times for various reviews & feedback but still unable to decide my first car. so need some help from experts here. I am from Mumbai. First i need to decide whether to go for new or used car. I am more inclined towards used car so that i can later on buy my favourate SUV i.e SAFARI . As i cant afford it now. I will be using this car for weekends & few long drives on vacations with my family. I prefer my bike within the city. I will list things as per the recomendations here.

1. Cars short listed & seen- Ford fusion 2005/4L, Fiat Adventure 1.9d 2005/3.5L, Baleno Altura 2001/2.5L. I am also considring Scorpio for upto 5L & Maruti Versa- (wierd choice but seems to be practical). Any other???

2. Price range- upto 5L

3. Decent Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.)

4. Average distance would be around 800km (300km/city & 500km/Highway )

5. Self & Family driven

6. Requirement from car are like min 5 comfortable sitting, good luggage space, good drivability, decent average & maintanance, decent resale value.

7. Intend to keep the car for 2 to 3 years.

Please give your comments & suggestions for deciding soon. Thanks in advance guys,
Old 24th September 2007, 21:49   #2

Thanks moderators for quick approval, feedbacks awaited egarly
Old 25th September 2007, 00:16   #3
BHPian

A brand new indica/indigo would not be a bad choice at a budget of 5 lacs. Albeit not drivers cars.
Old 25th September 2007, 00:31   #4
BHPian

Out of the cars you have shortlisted the altura or the scorpio wil be better keeping in mind your requirements....the fusion petrol is a fuel guzzler and the versa is outdated and not that great on looks...
Old 25th September 2007, 01:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

i would say a scorpio would fit your requirements perfectly. this is keeping in mind your fovourite car being the safari.
why dont you look at finance options for the safari itself ? the car comes to about 8 lacs if i am not wrong. down payment would be less then 5 lacs and EMI's would not be a bother. plus you would still have money left with you. it would save you the trouble of selling the car you buy now at a cheaper rate and investing more on the safari. this my take on the situation. according to me if i was in your place i would be wasteing money buying another car and eventually changeing it to something i like and want.
Old 25th September 2007, 09:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgaurav View Post
Requirement from car are like min 5 comfortable sitting, good luggage space, good drivability, decent average & maintanance, decent resale value.
If you want a seating of 5 comfortably i think you should check out the Baleno Altura. Not sure about its rear seat space (i've not seen one that close!!!!) but the adventures rear seat space is a bit cramped for 5 especially if you are a tall driver. If its for four think nothing but the Adventure. The Adventure is a cool highway cruiser and You'll enjoy every little bit of it.
Old 25th September 2007, 12:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Gaurav, go for a new DICOR. Since their new 2.2L is about to come out shortly, they have lessened the production of the 3.0L DICOR and are encouraging the dealers to pick existing stocks and sell it asap. I've heard that they are offering good discounts; of course it may not be on the base price but like some accessories thrown in for free, free insurance etc.

3.0L DICOR is a good machine with a lot of pep, punch and road prescence. As somebody else here too suggested, go for a finance and buy once for all rather than going in for a used one and then later selling it where in you may not get a good price at all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgaurav View Post
Hi guys,

This is my first post here. Been through this site number of times for various reviews & feedback but still unable to decide my first car. so need some help from experts here. I am from Mumbai. First i need to decide whether to go for new or used car. I am more inclined towards used car so that i can later on buy my favourate SUV i.e SAFARI . As i cant afford it now. I will be using this car for weekends & few long drives on vacations with my family. I prefer my bike within the city. I will list things as per the recomendations here.

1. Cars short listed & seen- Ford fusion 2005/4L, Fiat Adventure 1.9d 2005/3.5L, Baleno Altura 2001/2.5L. I am also considring Scorpio for upto 5L & Maruti Versa- (wierd choice but seems to be practical). Any other???

2. Price range- upto 5L

3. Decent Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.)

4. Average distance would be around 800km (300km/city & 500km/Highway )

5. Self & Family driven

6. Requirement from car are like min 5 comfortable sitting, good luggage space, good drivability, decent average & maintanance, decent resale value.

7. Intend to keep the car for 2 to 3 years.

Please give your comments & suggestions for deciding soon. Thanks in advance guys,
Old 25th September 2007, 14:30   #8

Thanks guys for the quick replys...

I am also thinking of new Indigo or logan but one thing bothers me is the depriciation of the car after say 3yrs. Not sure about the good resale.

Scorpio is top among my list but i am getting 2003 or 2004 in the price range of 4.5L to 5.5L with mielage of around 60k to 70k. A bit woried about the maintainance or problem that may crop up later. Any user here can put some light on it. Also expected resale after 2 to 3 yrs.

I have nearly 1.5L in hand if going for new vehicle. Rest will be financed. Also can strech my budget for Safari but i am more intrested in the new 2.2l one. Also my family dont want me to go for a big vehicle with big budget right now. I agree to some extant to it.

Baleno Altura that i have seen seems to be in good condition but still to be shown to proper mechanic. The asking price is 2.8L but its negotiable may be till 2.4L. The seating space seems to be adequate & luggage space is great. Liked this one.
Seen one Fusion with very good ICE like leather interiors, Alpine music system with sub-woofers, Mag wheels etc. Asking price 4.25L negotiable. Also going to see one more in couple of days.

I have not seen Adventure from inside but users here can shed some light compared to Altura. Going to check out one tomarrow. Its a 1.9D 2005 model with leather interiors etc. Asking is 3.5L negotiable.

Please suggest.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

First car and going for a second hand?

Well, if i were you, i would spend those 5L on a brand new Getz/Swift, and have some peace of mind with it.

I am not a big fan of second hand cars. But if you are hell bent on a second hand, search for a used Suzuki Baleno within 5 L.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
First car and going for a second hand?

Well, if i were you, i would spend those 5L on a brand new Getz/Swift, and have some peace of mind with it.

I am not a big fan of second hand cars. But if you are hell bent on a second hand, search for a used Suzuki Baleno within 5 L.
Quite true, what DCEite has mentioned. I nearly went in for a second hand Scorp for my allocated budget, but then decided against it and went in for a first hand car. Been a year of ownership now, and no hassles. Cant say the same if it had been a second hand vehicle.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Within 5 lakhs. You should buy a new car.

A fully loaded Spark would be a good option. Swift/Getz higher ends might be too expensive and you might have to settle for a lower end model. Rather buy a higher end model with the works (ABS/Airbags). So you will have some change left over for the audio system and some upgrades that you might want to do.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:08   #12
BHPian

DCEite is right. If you're planning to do long drives with family, you need a relaible car. I don't know if the Altura and the Adventure are being produced anymore. With 800km a month, you shouldn't be thinking in the diesel direction either.
Don't have much information on the Versa, as they don't sell much in Hyd. The WagonR is big here, and thats within your budget, but with 5 people in the car, I'm not sure what the pull will be on the highways.
As DCEite said, try going for a new car preferably. If you really can't, a second hand Altura would be my choice.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:56   #13

Thanks guys for the quick replys...

I am also considring new Indigo or logan, but not sure of the resale value after 2 to 3 years. Because i personaly like an SUV so would like to go for one later on. So woried about resale for new vehicle. I am personaly more interested in a new 2.2L Safari so dont want to buy the current one now. If i go for a new one then i would like to keep it for long long time. I can stretch my budget but my family dont want me to buy a big SUV now with a big budget(Actully will have to strech a lot). I agree to a bit with them. I have around 1L +50k cash in hand rest is loan.

Scorpio is on my list but i see only 2003 to 2004 make priced between 4.5L to 5.5L with 60K to70K mielage. Which seem to trublesome considering the maintanance cost. Owners can shed some light on it.

Seen 2001 baleno altura. Good conditioned, 75k mielage, 2.8k asking price & negotiable. May be till 2.4L. The seating space is adequate & luggage space is great. Also going to see a Fiat adventure 1.9d 2005 with leather interiors etc. Asking price 3.5L negotiable. Dont know much about this one as its desiel. Anyone here can shed some light on it. Also if any one can compare & tell pros & cons of adventure & altura.

Checked one 2005 Fusion with lots of work like leather interiors, Alpine music system, Mag wheels etc. Asking is 4.25L negotiable. Also going to see one more in couple of days. Fusion seems to be a petrol guzzler but may be i can fit an LPG into it later on. I like this car as it is a mini SUV

Please suggest guys,

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th September 2007, 16:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you are very particular about used cars, I would recommend a used Hyundai Accent or Honda City. I wonder why they don't show up on your list. Both are quite reliable (although Honda obviously more so) and are comfortable for 5.

Among the new cars, Indigo/Logan suit the bill although like you said, the depreciation would hit you more if you buy a new car but then you get peace of mind.

If I were in your position, I would buy a new Indigo/Logan as I am not comfortable with the idea of buying a used car. Also I would recommend against Swift if seating for 5 is important to you. Getz would fit the bill quite nicely if you are looking for a hatch.
Old 25th September 2007, 17:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
If you are very particular about used cars, I would recommend a used Hyundai Accent or Honda City.
Accent or city is not in the list beacause they seem to be costly & less spacious as compared to Altura & adventure. I would mostly use the vehicle for long drives & outings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks