Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2007, 14:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

First car purchase.

hi dear fellow bhpians,

I am buying my first car. Could not decide on which car and whether to go for a used or a new. (Currently driving my dad's 2003 Indica V2 DLS.)

I am sure I will find solution here.

Here are the requirements:

1. The controls should(clutch, brake and accelerator) be soft unlike indica dls.

2. Compatible with LPG kit.

3. Good Fuel Economy. (i am not looking for performance in this case)

4. Relaible parts and good A.$.$.

5. Easy resale.

6. I am tall - 6' 2''. I should be able to sit in the car and drive.

7. Power steering and A/C.

8. I will be going for Finance option with least possible down payment and least possible EMI. (irrespective of new or used)

The options I am looking at are:

1. Maruti Esteem. (I am going to mod the driver seat so that it will have max travell)
2. Ford Ikon . (I am not sure about 2nd, 3rd and 4th points)

Please suggest any other models, I might consider.

As for the duration of ownership,
If I go for the used car, it will be for 2 years. And if a new car, I will own it for 5 years.

Budget:
Around 2 to 2.25 Lakhs budget, which year models should I be looking at?
For cars between 2002 to 2004, What should be the budget for above mentioned?

Since I am looking at finance option, how much advantage will I have interms of cash for downpayment and EMI for used car?

Also, used vehicles have greater maintanence. In that case, how much advantage will be for a new vehicle.

Keeping the 2nd point aside, should I also consider Esteem Diesel as an option. Will I be able to get a decent one in the budget mentioned?
OH!!, is the esteem diesel's performance better than Indica DLS???

P.S. Sorry if you feel this post is long and boring.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 31st October 2007 at 14:23.
Old 31st October 2007, 15:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would say Esteem suits your requirements.
It's very hard to find esteem diesel
Go for an Esteem petrol
Old 31st October 2007, 16:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

If it was a new car then the Wagon R Duo suits your requirement quite well. Cant say about 2nd hand
Old 31st October 2007, 19:22   #4
BHPian

Between the two options you've mentioned, go for the Esteem. Its meets most of your requirements... relsale, parts, FE, A.S.S.
Old 1st November 2007, 11:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you are a new driver, then it is better to buy an old car, esp with the kind of crazy traffic in Hyd.
Esteen should suit you.
Old 1st November 2007, 11:18   #6
BHPian

Not many Esteem Diesel variants available in the second hand market though!

As suggested above Wagon R Duo makes sense!
Old 2nd November 2007, 17:48   #7
BHPian

Ford Ikon build quality, performance, drive quality and ride quality is much better than Esteem. Esteem is a kind of outdated vehicle right now. But when it comes to spares and service, Esteem would be the better choice since Ford spares are very expensive. Also there are chances for Esteem to get phased out in 2008. It might get replaced by the Swift sedan. But Ford Ikon should still be there in the market at that time. Ford Ikon is far ahead comfortable than Esteem to travel.
Old 5th November 2007, 08:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Another option

The Maruti-Suzuki Alto might surprise you. It is nicely apointed inside and all 6.2 of you might just fit in it. Go and try one on.
Old 5th November 2007, 10:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The Maruti-Suzuki Alto might surprise you. It is nicely apointed inside and all 6.2 of you might just fit in it. Go and try one on.
It doesnt surprise me, it was my first choice.
Since i travell alone. i can afford to modify the driver seat to give it maximum travell to the rear and put on a smaller steering wheel.

I intent to keep the car for less than two years, and a big car has a better image than a small for the kind of my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5600 View Post
Ford Ikon build quality, performance, drive quality and ride quality is much better than Esteem. Esteem is a kind of outdated vehicle right now. But when it comes to spares and service, Esteem would be the better choice since Ford spares are very expensive. Also there are chances for Esteem to get phased out in 2008. It might get replaced by the Swift sedan. But Ford Ikon should still be there in the market at that time. Ford Ikon is far ahead comfortable than Esteem to travel.
Those were the reasons for including Ikon in the options list. Also, ikon has a better image than esteem, while esteem is more of a VFM product.

Now the thing is like this:
for comfort, its ikon.
but for low running costs, its esteem.

Currently working on a big project, if it works out and I will go for Ikon, i dont mind if comfort costs a bit extra. If the new project dosent appear to be feasible, i will go for the esteem.

BTW, around 2 Lakhs to 2.25 Lakhs, will I be able to get an esteem or ikon in a good condiotion. What year models will I be looking at???

raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 5th November 2007 at 10:28.
Old 5th November 2007, 13:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post

Keeping the 2nd point aside, should I also consider Esteem Diesel as an option.
i havent driven the indica too much but the esteem diesel i have and al i can say is NO.
IMHO the acceleration is very similar to a bullock cart
Old 5th November 2007, 13:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes, avoid the Esteem D. In your budget, you should be able to manage a clean 2002/03 Esteem VXi. Running costs are really low, but the pleasure is priceless. Try to do stage 1 mods too.
Old 5th November 2007, 14:22   #12
BHPian

Between 2.0 - 2.25 lacs, you would get Esteem 2000 - 2002 models.

For IKON, it wud be2002 - 2004

AS a second hand car ESTEEM would be a better choice among the two.
Old 5th November 2007, 14:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I am 6 2 tall and I find Alto to be comfortable. Esteem has good space, but the low seating position could give problem over long usage.
Old 5th November 2007, 16:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It doesnt surprise me, it was my first choice.
Since i travell alone. i can afford to modify the driver seat to give it maximum travell to the rear and put on a smaller steering wheel.
Quite a logical choice, i would say about the Alto. My relative who is 6 feet tall has one, and he manages to fit in quite well, but comfortably, i dont know. The car has been very dependable during his 3 years of ownership.

Quote:
Those were the reasons for including Ikon in the options list. Also, ikon has a better image than esteem, while esteem is more of a VFM product.

Now the thing is like this:
for comfort, its ikon.
but for low running costs, its esteem.

raj.
Raj, since running costs are important, the Ikon as per what i have heard on some forums, is not very compatible with an LPG kit. So, i wouldnt suggest the same. This and possibly spare prices notwithstanding, the Ikon (Flair) has many good characteristics which should leave you feeling pleased with it. It also offers decent fuel economy for its class.

The Esteem is also quite a capable vehicle, and its your call to decide between the pros and cons between the two cars you have shortlisted.
Old 5th November 2007, 18:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

just got to know through a used car agent, that there is a 2002 silver esteem vxi for around 2 lakhs (negotiable). I am keen on knowing about.

my bad, the agent didnt knew somebody would be interested to buy a used esteem (read it as a petrol esteem, here in hyderabad where diesels rule the road) and hence didnt mind to get full details. This would be in my favour to bargain for even better price. Reason: hyderabadies dont want to buy petrol esteems

raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 5th November 2007 at 18:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks