Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2007, 02:04   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Hi.. the tilt steering should "tilt" the decision in favour of the UVA since you are tall and find the steering hitting your knees. But one thing to watch out for in the UVA - ICE - the front speaker bay on the doors is not deep enough..thats what we found in a friend's UVA and had a tough time fitting the speakers. Otherwise its a damn good car.
Nimz
But then jugaad with spacers can always be done
Old 4th November 2007, 14:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Hi.. the tilt steering should "tilt" the decision in favour of the UVA since you are tall and find the steering hitting your knees. But one thing to watch out for in the UVA - ICE - the front speaker bay on the doors is not deep enough..thats what we found in a friend's UVA and had a tough time fitting the speakers. Otherwise its a damn good car.
Nimz
yes the space for front speaker options are limited since only a particular size can fit into it. either a sony or kenwood speakers fit into it. i was told...
Old 4th November 2007, 22:22   #18

Thanks, All for the wonderful feedback. Today, I again went to the Maruti and Hyundai showrooms. The Swift rear seats look really cramped to me especially since I have to pull the front seat quite backwards. Hence, I am really not in favor of Swift.

In the Hyundai showroom, I saw the i10 today. It looked like a good car, with decent leg space in the front and rear and good boot space. The gears are on the dashboard for i10 and it looks quite sporty. I am going to TD the i10 and Getz GLE 1.1 on Monday and decide which to go for.

The only worry is that i10 is a new model and potentially might have issues. Any comments/feedback?

Thanks,
Suresh
Old 5th November 2007, 01:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Suresh,

Just a word of comfort regarding power windows - a cuz got front power windows for his swift lxi - autocop xs (4k if i recall right) - one set on right door, left button on left door and looks almost original except the autocop markings

so let that not hinder you.

and with your kinda driving, its good to have a new car which is not at the end of its life cycle (like santro almost or wagonR - just my tuppence).
Old 5th November 2007, 03:34   #20
BHPian

Swift feedback

I own a 2005 Swift .. one of the early lots. Here is what I think about the Car. Might help you take a decision.

Swift is a bit short on rear leg space with tall drivers. Remember it has the same interior configuration for India as in the rest of the world. In the other markets the target buyer are the young 20 something crowd who would never need to carry the large joint family in it. It was never designed to hold more than 2 adults and a kid comfortably. Thus rear seat comfort levels are much less than the front seats.
1) Excellent Ride and handling (corners better than any of the competition)
2) Good Fuel efficiency (12.5 life time average for me A/C 100%, 30000Kms)
3) Best in class safety (ABS, EBD, F Air Bags, Belt Pre-tensioners - ZXi, buy it before they stop producing)
4) Maruti service (spares are cheapest)
5) The boot space is not that bad... because it is really deep. My 20" X 28" X 10" suitcase (a real large one) fits in horizontally leaving enough space to put 1 cabin luggage sized case on the side and 2 large duffel bags on top of the suitcase. That is enough luggage for a family of 4 for 2 weeks.
6) Highway - I shouldn't say it is a highway car, but it has excellent manners when it comes to longish drives (I did a Hyderabad Kolkata trip 1550 Kms on it). I drove it hard at times (130 kph + for at least 400 kms) but got excellent mileage (overall 15.5).
7) City - It is shorter than the competition and that helps in parking in tight spots. Though it is a bit wide and with all those front arch flares, has a tendency to get a few scratches here and there. It is not as zippy as a santro at low speeds but santro runs out of steam pretty quickly... while swift can reach 98kph on 2nd gear and 135 kph on 3rd without a huge loss in FE. That in turn means if you want performance it can deliver. Unfortunately the competition lack in this department.
Old 5th November 2007, 09:58   #21

Hi Phamilyman,

Your suggestion is good about fitting a basic GLE Getz model with Autocop power windows. I asked the dealer about this - he was mentioning that the look would not be good since the color would not match the interiors and it would be a big box sitting on the doors. I want power windows only for the front doors and this costs me 7500/= The dealer probably wants me to go for the higher GVS model that is 50K extra and probably gives him more profits.

I really do not understand the pricing from Hyundai. GLE costing 4.55L and the next higher model costing 5.1L is really ridiculous. The only things extra in GVS model are the power windows, larger tyres, wooden grain coloring for the dashboard and a spolier. Out of these, I do not care about the last two. The 1.3L GLS model comes for 5.4L but they are ready to give corporate discount of some 8K along with some accessories (will cost ~ 5.3L)

The other feedback regarding Swift is also useful. However, I have a family of 5 and I do not think Swift will swerve my needs. I am really surprised how so many people are going for Swift since every other car on the Bangalore roads is a Swift - probably, all of them are bachelor techies or are at most 2 people who are going to travel in the car.

Anyways, I think it is i10 or Getz GLE 1.1 for me. Chevy U-VA seems to be a good car but I do not see too many of them on the roads. Also, I am a brand person - so, I would surely prefer Maruti or Hyundai since I intend to keep the car for 5 yrs at least.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Suresh
Old 5th November 2007, 11:22   #22
BHPian

I bought a Getz GLE from Trident Hyundai 3 months back. While buying the car I had the same confusion in selecting the car. Anyway, I could very easily rule out swift from my list as I dont like the looks and also lack of space inside the car. Then I took both U-VA and Getz into consideration. I liked U-VA better than Getz in almost all aspects. It is much more spacious compared to Getz, looks are equally good and performace of U-VA was slightly better than Getz. I dont think there would be much difference in the fuel economy. But the one and only reason for ruling out U-VA was service. There are only 2 service centres for GM, Sundaram motors at Kasturba road and Garuda at Kanakpura road. I have got very poor feedback about Sundaram motors(they spoiled the reputation of Fiat vehicles in India by giving poor service). So if I need to take my vehicle to Kanakpura road from Cox Town, its going to kill a lot of time and imagine if I have to take it for repeat service. I was not sure about the service of GM outside city limits (I heard that they have improved. But I didnt want to take risk myself). Also U-VA base model doesnt have the 60:40 Split Double Folding Rear Seat, which was a very high priority thing for me and I didnt want to spend more money going for a higher model.
I didnt feel that Getz is underpowered. I agree that it is not as powerful as Swift, but still it has enough power for city driving and performance is not bad in highways. But I agree that paying 4.55 L for a 1.1L engine looks to be a bit over-priced, but still I bought the car since I couldnt find a better choice for myself that gives me almost everything what I am looking for.
I got the front power windows (Autocop) fitted extra for Rs.5500(Actual price is 7500. Got some discounts )
Old 5th November 2007, 14:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh183 View Post
Hi Phamilyman,

Your suggestion is good about fitting a basic GLE Getz model with Autocop power windows. I asked the dealer about this - he was mentioning that the look would not be good since the color would not match the interiors and it would be a big box sitting on the doors. I want power windows only for the front doors and this costs me 7500/= The dealer probably wants me to go for the higher GVS model that is 50K extra and probably gives him more profits.
Dealer has a conflict of interest.

Like I said, its autocop XS, and matched the swift lxi interiors very well (except it says autocop). Nice small, like OEM only. Some 4.5k. Will post pics and exact price paid when i meet my cousin during this week. THE OEM part at Maruti dealer was 6.9k.

Ofc, i cant vouch if they have a variant matching interiors of getz
Old 5th November 2007, 14:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

@Suresh i still feel you should zero ur decision on the Getz Prime 1.3GLS and you wont regret your decision,if you can stretch your pocket a bit to get your hands on the Getz.All decisions are on you best of luck
Old 5th November 2007, 16:40   #25
BHPian

I'm in a similar dilemma right now. I'd zeroed in on the Swift, I don't really like the looks on Getz and Swift has a really powerful engine which is my main concern and second comes features offered
Space isn't an issue for me as only 2 people will be in the car for most of the time. I had decided on the Swift after researching cars for a month (Thanks to T-BHP!!). But now Hyundai has come up with the I10.

Although I haven't got a chance to test drive it, I did look at the interiors and all, it looks really cool! That's got me all confused now since i10 has more features than Swift for the same price. Swift Vxi with ABS costs around 5.2 Lacs while i10 Magna (all features included except sunroof - i don't really care about it) costs around 5.25 lacs. The downside is that Magna has a smaller engine and it's just been launched so it's hard to comment on the performance. But Hyundai is a relaible bet.
Old 6th November 2007, 15:51   #26

Ramie2400 - I agree than Getz GLS 1.3L is better - however, the price differential of 80K is too much between 1.1L and 1.3L (4.55L and 5.3L)

Most probably, I will go for Getz GLE 1.1L and have the power windows fitted as Joseph suggested. If anyone sends me a snap of how this would like, it would be useful.

Meanwhile, I am talking with a friend of mine today and he was suggesting to go for Maruti Esteem since one is getting 35K discount on the car. So, it would cost only 4.9L. This car is spacious although low in height. The engine is 1.3L - however, it is close to end-of-life. Any suggestions on this one?

Thanks,
Suresh
Old 6th November 2007, 18:18   #27
BHPian

Here's some fodder for more confusion!

Why not go for Ford Ikon iKool?
Old 7th November 2007, 09:40   #28
BHPian

hi,
i own the uva base. june 07 platinum metallic. PM me ur queries- if any. i'll be glad to be of help.
emd

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks