Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2007, 11:52   #16
BHPian

I vote the alto as the best beginners car , small, cute and peppy enough !
Old 12th November 2007, 12:01   #17
BHPian

Although I agree with most of the others on the suitability of Swift as a learner's car, there are a couple of things I would like to add.
She might learn to drive faster on an Alto or Santro, small, trim, peppy cars that they are.
Still if she masters driving a Swift,particularly the diesel, I feel that her confidence at driving any other car would be far greater, than if she were to learn from the above two options.
Of course, you will have to live with the fact that you just turned a VDi into a learning car
Old 12th November 2007, 12:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

I honestly don't believe that there is any such thing as learners car.
And also learners car for ladies
And also diesel learners car for ladies
- well you get the point

Truth to be told with new age common rail diesel cars are really equivalent if not better to Petrol cars.

And as for learning on small car/big car debate.
If taught correctly a person can learn to drive on any car. And if taught wrongly he will fail on every car.

The big disadvantage of making learners believe that small cars are easy to learn is they get very much terrified when time comes to drive bigger car.

So yeah Swift D is fine for learner. Swift has its good points and its minus points. The important thing is to teach driving correctly.
Old 12th November 2007, 13:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

I see two main problems with Swift D for ladies with height < 5.5ft -

1. Visibility both in front and rear would be very poor.

2. Operating the clutch on a stop and go city traffic would be a pain and will put their left leg out of action for most part of the day after driving swift for 30 min.

other than this the car is just perfect for anyone whether it is a beginner or an expert driver or whether it is a gentleman or a lady driver.
Old 12th November 2007, 14:04   #20
BHPian

Whether swift or any other car once she is used to it there wont be any problem.Even she is short once she is get used to it she will be having her on calculation to drive,so that is also not a problem.
Old 12th November 2007, 14:13   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
Whether swift or any other car once she is used to it there wont be any problem.Even she is short once she is get used to it she will be having her on calculation to drive,so that is also not a problem.
and sums it up well. it all depends on how one adapts to a car, yes visibility is not the best feature in a swift and clutch is lil harder in D compared to a P.
Old 12th November 2007, 14:15   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
I honestly don't believe that there is any such thing as learners car.
And also learners car for ladies
And also diesel learners car for ladies
- well you get the point
Absolutely! And, as another member mentioned, people don't stay beginners for long.

But... those first few drives can be a bit scary! Remember what it feels like to stall when pulling out onto a busy main road? And having to think about restarting the engine with the traffic, horns blaring, buzzes around you like a crowd of deadly mosquitoes? Diesels are more forgiving...
Old 12th November 2007, 14:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

@ Speed Devil: If I were in your place, I would definately have gone for Santro/Wagon R as the clutch and other pedals were easily reachable and the front too was visible. In your case your gf is only 5'3".

Moreover, Diesel cars do not give the initial thrust required for pick up after you start moving from a traffic signal.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Moreover, Diesel cars do not give the initial thrust required for pick up after you start moving from a traffic signal.
I disagree. Diesels are all about initial thrust, i.e., 'torque'. The only thing you have to keep in mind is the lag. In the DDiS, turbo kicks in after 2000rpm (?), so it wouldn't be hard to overcome that in first gear.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

The Best car to buy for a Lady Beginner is definitely an Automatic! and there are choices in them in the price range that you looking at.
Its hassle free and she will be Much less stressed driving around.
Old 12th November 2007, 16:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
The Best car to buy for a Lady Beginner is definitely an Automatic! and there are choices in them in the price range that you looking at.
Its hassle free and she will be Much less stressed driving around.

When will she learn driving a manual transmission car then? Just like someone mentioned earlier, if you teach someone to drive in a big car, that person will be able to master other cars easily. This applies to the transmission problem too. Important thing is to teach 'properly'.
Old 12th November 2007, 17:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

The only thing you should consider is whether she is able to comfortably reach all the controls in the car. Everything else can be overcome.
As you have said yourself, she has enough time to learn. There are many driving schools which teach in Swift. Ask her to enroll try that and if she is not comfortable, you can always cancel the booking.

My advice is to ask her to go by her gut feeling.

- Jag
Old 12th November 2007, 20:33   #28
BHPian

So going by most of the replies, swift is a good car to learn. My gf likes the looks of the swift and its road presence.
Only concern is the visibility and it being a diesel.

O.T @Crazydriver Electronics & communication engineering
Old 12th November 2007, 22:47   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Forget about diesel being a concern! It is no disadvantage at all.

Else why does the car have so many buyers the waiting list is absurd? More to the point, it has a keen following on this site.

Diesel is an advantage: that's why I bought one!
Old 12th November 2007, 22:53   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_devil View Post
The reason we are going for the diesel is apart from her, myself and her dad will be drivng it occasionally. And we also plan to have long drives in it.
Guys,

he has mentioned why they prefer the Swift diesel over a smaller petrol hatch.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th November 2007 at 22:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks