Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2007, 00:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Esteem Vs Swift diesel-Test driven both

Test drove both the swift and the esteem.
Although i have driven an esteem lot of times but never driven an esteem and a swift diesel both in a row.Did that so that the pros and cons could be assesed right then
This is what i felt about both the cars
Esteem:-

Interiors are dull and look outdated
Took her for a 15 kilometer drive in traffic and on the highway
U need to really pull her in each gear to make her reach good speeds fast
At 80 kmph in 5th gear i jabbed the accelerator and her reaction.NOTHING
Downshifted to 4th and her reaction=DUDE i ll take my time downshift to 3rd
Downshifted to 3rd and then she pulls like a rocket
Din actually like this as 80 is a good enough speed for 5th gear and if there is no reaction at that speed and if have to continiously down shift on the highway and rev her up mileage will go for a toss.
My dad and me have loved the esteem ever since i remember but then the drivablity factor is really sad.
AC was good
From the outer looks point of view i feel the esteem looks way way classier than the swift.
I drive the 800 day in and day out and driving a bigger car like an esteem did not feel any different from the visiblity and control point of view.I could move it around in traffic and on the highway almost like i move my 800.Really loved that

Swift Diesel

Interiors are classy

Took her on a 15 km city and highway test drive too and man is she impressive.1900 rpm+ and your neck gets a jolt from the turbo.The push is to die for.
In the city traffic she was very much drivable and even on the highway no revving the engine needed.Slot her into 5th at 50 and she ll pull all the way without any downshifting
Driving a swift did feel like i was driving a bigger car.Did not feel confident about controlling the car in traffic as well as on the highway as compared to how i felt controlling the esteem.
Exterior looks - Hate the rear end of the swift
No tacho on the ldi.An aftermarket one can be fixed right?

Running of the car will be around 800 km per month+very very long distance trips now and then.

So confused between both the cars and which one to go for.Both are priced almost the same if i consider the swift ldi.
Old 30th December 2007, 00:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

Between Swift DIESEL and esteem, my vote for Swift diesel! Unless you want a boot.
Old 30th December 2007, 00:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Humyum, i would sugest you to go for the Swift, no not because i own one, but because of the following reasons : -
  • The Esteem is being phased out or maybe it already has.
  • Swift is more econimical to run.
  • Swift is more fun to drive.
  • Swift has better handling.
  • Swift has better looks(subjective)
  • Swift has good traffic view.
  • A Swift wont bottom out on the worst speed breaker due to hard suspension, wheras the Esteem would.
  • Swift wont have a model change for quite a while so resale will be very good.
  • Swifts engine is the latest, engine of the year 2005
  • Swift can be Peted
Enough said, its upto you, if you need a boot, go with the Esteem, but i think Esteem has been around too long.

Yes you can fit a aftermarket tacho to the Swift LDi.

About the rear, you can add a spoiler and blacken the tail lamps, it will look better, though the rear of the Swift is not bad IMO. Also if you are willing to spend 8k you can get aftermarket tail lamps like these.

Old 30th December 2007, 01:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

My vote also goes to swift. But I suggest you to go in for the VDi. That additional 30k you pay is really worth it. you get tacho, body colored handles and mirror, faux aluminium coated interior bits, day/night rear view mirror etc to name a few.
Old 30th December 2007, 08:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Took her on a 15 km city and highway test drive too and man is she impressive.1900 rpm+ and your neck gets a jolt from the turbo.The push is to die for.

No tacho on the ldi.An aftermarket one can be fixed right?
Erm.. Two contrasting statements.. Is it the RPM converted from the KMS on the ODO?

You should go for the LDi. If you can stretch it a bit, go for the VDi. Lot more features than the LDi.
On the other hand if it doesnt matter much, go for the LDi. But it has to be the swift. Esteem's PLC is on the tenterhook and is definitely on its way out.
Old 30th December 2007, 09:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

hey wait for the swift sedan buddy.dont know when its lauched but it will be soon on our roads.pricing might be arround 5.75-6.75.but still a new car fresh looks.woow for a few months as availablity will be an issue for some time.or else with what we got now ldi would be fine,but if loong drives are a priority wait for the sedan.boot will be asked for when you start your long drive.
ram
Old 30th December 2007, 09:30   #7
BHPian

I defnitely agree swift is a new car compared to the esteem which is being phased out. But i would like to add the esteem is great fun to drive in the highways, Its awesome power to weight ratio enables to pull really quick.Only con is city driving due to the tall gearing of the car you need to rev up it up. I fell the esteem is a good looker (subjective), Only bad part is its been there for too long. I havent faced any problem of my esteem bottoming out in the "god given" roads of Bangalore (Read - Potholes+Speedbreakers). Ride quality is definetly better in the Swift. You have decent space for leg room in the rear in the esteem, you can take 5 well built people comfortably. With a FFE and header its one of the fastest car's out there on this side of the 1.5/1.6 ltr's (OHC's / Baleno's)

So it just depends on your choice on what u feel more comfortable in.
Old 30th December 2007, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With a FFE and header its one of the fastest car's out there on this side of the 1.5/1.6 ltr's (OHC's / Baleno's)
A esteem with a FFE and headers will still be slower then a Peted Swift When it comes to performance there are few cars which can beat the Swift below 8L. Also Swift has almost double the torque then the Esteem.

Quote:
Erm.. Two contrasting statements.. Is it the RPM converted from the KMS on the ODO?
The test drive car is a VDi which has a tacho.
Old 30th December 2007, 12:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
At 80 kmph in 5th gear i jabbed the accelerator and her reaction.NOTHING

Din actually like this as 80 is a good enough speed for 5th gear and if there is no reaction at that speed and if have to continiously down shift on the highway and rev her up mileage will go for a toss.
Frankly thats a wrong way to drive a petrol. 5th gear is not meant for accelerating. 5th gear is for cruising once you reach the speed you wish to maintain. Accelerate in 4th and then shift to 5th when you reach the desired speed.
Old 30th December 2007, 12:50   #10
rippergeo

the tacho is very useful in driving the car for both performance and mileage. I thought an aftermarket tacho will cause issues with the speedo. its definitely worth the extra 30,000 for the VDi, also, if you plan to pete it, get the ABS. hell, get the ABS anyway!

an esteem is no match for the Swift d, unless you rev it like its on a race track.
you should try the swift D in 5th gear from 80kmph. it pulls like a angry bull all the way to 140. its the ideal overtaking gear on the highway!

Old 30th December 2007, 12:54   #11
BHPian

Hi Humyum,
Swift makes more sense unless you specifically want a boot but try to go for the VDI with ABS.
But in that price range you can get other cars with a boot, which will provide the same utility.Your monthly running does not justify a diesel and the premium price attached to it.
You can also look at the following:
Hyundai Accent
Mahindra Logan( best vfm)
Hyundai getz (petrol)
Or Tata (but it is lottery)
Cheers
Old 30th December 2007, 13:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Frankly thats a wrong way to drive a petrol. 5th gear is not meant for accelerating. 5th gear is for cruising once you reach the speed you wish to maintain. Accelerate in 4th and then shift to 5th when you reach the desired speed.
Yeah but when i shifted to 4th there was no acceleration too.Now thats not something i would want from a car and if i keep shifting to 3rd all the time FE goes for a toss.I dint like this about the esteem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Yeah as BUSA said the test drive car was a VDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
hey wait for the swift sedan buddy.dont know when its lauched but it will be soon on our roads.pricing might be arround 5.75-6.75.but still a new car fresh looks.woow for a few months as availablity will be an issue for some time.or else with what we got now ldi would be fine,but if loong drives are a priority wait for the sedan.boot will be asked for when you start your long drive.
ram
No boot was not a priority at all but liked the looks of the esteem thats why wanted it.Have been in love with it since a long time and since the esteem was within budget looked at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
the tacho is very useful in driving the car for both performance and mileage. I thought an aftermarket tacho will cause issues with the speedo. its definitely worth the extra 30,000 for the VDi, also, if you plan to pete it, get the ABS. hell, get the ABS anyway!

an esteem is no match for the Swift d, unless you rev it like its on a race track.
you should try the swift D in 5th gear from 80kmph. it pulls like a angry bull all the way to 140. its the ideal overtaking gear on the highway!
yeah but the budget does not permit us going anythin more than 5.If i get an LDI i can ask for alloys/fatter tyres bla bla but if i go for a vdi that option wont be there.
Yeah exactly the esteem needs to be driven all the time like its driven on the race tracks.Thats what i dint like.

Anway i think the idea to go for a swift diesel sounds more sensible.
Also from the maitainance point of view both of them will be almost same right?esteem and the swift as from what i see the esteem is much more simpler like an mpfi engine and the general stuff where as the swift crdi is much more complicated with the turbo and crdi unit.
Old 30th December 2007, 13:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Humyum - Maintainance of both the cars will be almost the same. Esteem might be slightly cheaper to maintain but MSIL has discontinued the Esteem so spares can be a problem later on(much later though, in the near future there should not be any problem)

But even with slightly higher spares for the Swift vis-a-vis the Esteem, the FE of the diesel will make the cost of ownership much much lesser.
Old 30th December 2007, 15:02   #14
BHPian

humyum if you can wait, then it'll be better to atleast have a look at the sedan which would probably phase out the esteem, may be MUL prices it even better
just my say

cheers
Old 30th December 2007, 15:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

go for the swift - defenetly the better choice and im saying this after having owned the esteem - but that was when the swift was not around in the market...

the esteem does have its pluses but those pluses - i dont think matter for your requirement from the car...

and let me add in here - rear space is PRETTY BAD in the esteem too -

red rage - im not sure what is ur defentition of well built ppl but im around 65 kgs and ive found the rear is VERY VERY cramped with 3 ppl of even medium built....

the swift with a taller seating atleast might mitigate a part of the discomfort..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks