Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2008, 23:15   #1
BHPian

Which car for CNG?

Hi Guys,

I've been contemplating on buying a car for my daily commuting needs. I can't afford a new car, so will be getting a used one preferably about 1-3 years old...
I would be doing around 80km's daily...so to prevent the cost of fuel burning a hole in my pocket, I would need it to be fitted with CNG kit..

The options which I have regarding the cars are:
Santro, WagonR, Indica and Zen (if I can find a used estilo)

Lookwise...well all seem to look OK to me, though I would rate indica to be little higher from the current lot, but I guess anyone will do..
I'm looking for a car with least amount of running cost ie low maintainance and high fuel efficiancy (no surprizes there )
I don't care much about performance, since it would be mostly used for driving in peak hour Delhi traffic but would prefer an easy to drive car, since this would be my first car..

So guys, Which car would be ideal for fitting with the CNG kit? Please suggest me which one to go for considering above parameters..

Regards,
Old 28th January 2008, 09:44   #2
BANNED

My vote would go to WagonR/Alto or any maruti car.
Old 28th January 2008, 09:47   #3
BHPian

Go for the Wagon R...can get a bigger cylinder in the boot
Old 28th January 2008, 11:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

santro and wagon r qualify for the needs which you have mentioned,alto is a smaller car so less cng which can be filled means lesser distance covered for each top up.that can be an irritant,in the long run.
ram
Old 28th January 2008, 11:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

WagonR with the biggest boot (yes its even bigger than the Indica), gets my Vote.
Besides, its a Maruti. So, peace of mind.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:05   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Instead of retro-fitting a gas kit on a brand new car, why don't you just buy the WagonR Duo? It comes with a factory-fit LPG kit which is pretty well-mated to the engine. For reliability and security, this is the only option you should consider.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the Wagon R Duo, Hyndai also offer the Santro CNG from the factory itself. Are you only inclined to petrol cars? You could also look at diesel options like the Indica though it would better better to buy that brand new.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Usually,Japanese engines take to alternate fuels well.
OT:
LPG doesn't look lucrative anymore.
Hope the LPGA does something about it.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

I suggest the Santro CNG if its going to be a new car and WagonR if retrofitting a kit in a used car.
Old 28th January 2008, 14:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Let me answer several confusion here with a single shot.
a. Buying New: Your ONLY options are a Indica Xeta GLX or a Santro GLS, both CNG. Xeta preferable because that 1.4L engine has oodles of torque. its a pretty decent vehicle though handling is inferior to alto/rear suspension gets too compressed. But otherwise, good vehicle. Santro+CNG doesn't sound like it'll have much Pickup.
Should you be willing to trust MUL dealers, methinks Apra/Rohan ensure warranty if you buy car+kit from them. Then a WagonR fits the bill. Having put Alto on CNG through Apra, I highly recommend them. Ofc, this arrangement isnt really sanctioned by MUL, but is the defacto standard among most airport esteem/call center wagonR cabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Instead of retro-fitting a gas kit on a brand new car, why don't you just buy the WagonR Duo? It comes with a factory-fit LPG kit which is pretty well-mated to the engine. For reliability and security, this is the only option you should consider.
Not really. LPG is quite expensive compared to CNG. In that case, Indica DLS would be as fast (or as slow) as the CNG cars above.

And personally Indica Turbo DLG is pretty decent. More peace of mind given the Km you will put on it. Plus the engine is peppy enough. The heavier feel takes some getting used to. However, it takes alot of abuse on a daily basis. But yes, if you live far away from a good workshop, ignore tata. TASS can be a pain in rearside if your workshop is bad (most are, unless you know the mgmt!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post
I would be doing around 80km's daily...so to prevent the cost of fuel burning a hole in my pocket, I would need it to be fitted with CNG kit..

The options which I have regarding the cars are:
Santro, WagonR, Indica and Zen (if I can find a used estilo)

Lookwise...well all seem to look OK to me, though I would rate indica to be little higher from the current lot, but I guess anyone will do..
Xeta suits you fine. Plus true factory warranty. 3 years for CNG, 4 years for car.

that being said, you won't get many of it used. In used, best suggestion would be to take a esteem, and put CNG. You get a kickasss 1.3L engine (even if 4-5 years old), light car, boot, and you get easy 18-20ish mileage plus good pickup

In any case, DONT take alto for CNG. The engine just has very little low end torque left post CNG. Becomes a very peaky engine, and still fun to drive, but bad for highway overtaking/stop go traffic.
Old 28th January 2008, 17:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Go for WagonR or a Santro. It will accomodate if you want to change LPG/CNG. Go for Maruti than others for a better A**.
Old 28th January 2008, 17:45   #12
BHPian

Is LPG available in your city or is only CNG?

Because performance wise LPG is much better than CNG.
Old 28th January 2008, 22:39   #13
BHPian

Well LPG's available....but i feel the same like some others, LPG doesn't cut it anymore as a cheap fuel, or atleast when cheaper CNG is available and that too more easily

I've thinked much about new car vs. used car a lot...in the end I've decided on getting a used one in good condition due to budget constraints and also I don't see more advantage in getting a factory fitted CNG kit(barring the warranty factor), since the same kits or of equivalent quality are also available in markets also...

Esteem+CNG is a good idea, but seems an expensive proposition...will give it thought though when I begin my actual hunt for the used car and 'am not considering alto since I don't its not roomy as others..

Options most likely are Santro, WagonR and Indica
I don't have much idea about quality of TATA workshops in Delhi or west delhi more specifically...maybe some good delhi members can share their opinion

And thanks for awesome response guys
Old 29th January 2008, 11:35   #14
BANNED

My Sugession :
Santro + CNG
Esttem (older Model ) + CNG
Indica + CNG
Old 29th January 2008, 16:46   #15
BHPian

Wagon R Duo. Go in for a car that comes with factory fitted LPG kit and its worth to invest in a new one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed