Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2008, 00:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

another thought: buy the palio 1.6. unless he travels lots, say even 1k km per month.

Then compared to a 12-13kpl of a 1.1L hatchback, he loses 3kpl FE. So for 1000km, he pays 1150 bucks a month extra. Over an year, 14k extra.

But at 4.8L onroad, and sheer driving pleasure, the 14k extra is worth it. Else, if no driving pleasure but only FE he wanted, he can go for the nano, no? Why spend even 5L?
Old 8th February 2008, 08:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
another thought: buy the palio 1.6. unless he travels lots, say even 1k km per month.

Then compared to a 12-13kpl of a 1.1L hatchback, he loses 3kpl FE. So for 1000km, he pays 1150 bucks a month extra. Over an year, 14k extra.

But at 4.8L onroad, and sheer driving pleasure, the 14k extra is worth it. Else, if no driving pleasure but only FE he wanted, he can go for the nano, no? Why spend even 5L?
I know it very well. And thats why i own an Adventure. But he thinks 10-11 is very taxing on his pocket. Logically you are right.
Old 8th February 2008, 09:02   #18
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I think it would need more gear changes especially in city. THe car stalled a few times when my friend tried to move at low speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
funnily, the same has happened when friends of mine tried out my car as well. Maybe its a diesel thing. I learnt driving on an indica DLS , and havent driven petrols much. just a friends alto once, and i had problems keeping it moving in the lower gears as well.

as far as I'm concerned, 2nd gear is usually all i need for stop and go traffic ( ulloor - pongumood in the mornings) . except for an ocassional downshift to 1st.

The whole point of getting diesels is that you need less gear shifts in the city.
I dont know what you guys mean by low speeds, but any car will stall if the torque produced at a particular RPM is not sufficient to overcome inertia.
@greenhorn- its definitely not a diesel thing. diesels are more difficult to stall than a petrol.

2 possibilities, you guys are lugging the indica, or...the indica's low end is not as good as other cars.
Can indica owners please respond.

if it was me,I'd pick the palio 1.6
but I would'nt be caught dead buying a petrol

Old 8th February 2008, 10:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
The whole point of getting diesels is that you need less gear shifts in the city.
I dont know what you guys mean by low speeds, but any car will stall if the torque produced at a particular RPM is not sufficient to overcome inertia.
@greenhorn- its definitely not a diesel thing. diesels are more difficult to stall than a petrol.

2 possibilities, you guys are lugging the indica, or...the indica's low end is not as good as other cars.
Can indica owners please respond.
Yup, i believe he TD'd the car with more than two people ( the comment about the rear passengers having to wind up the windows)

Its very hard to stall, in fact , with just me , the it starts moving by itself in first , and can even climb slight inclines without any accelerator . you can even start it from second , and in some occasions , third from a complete standstill .

The only time i need to downshift is to prevent autorikshas etc from cutting in front of me
Old 8th February 2008, 10:29   #20
BHPian

Id suggest the Palio Stile. Its a solidly built car. Good Looks and great ride. Only thing to look out for is a service station that is close by and the price of spares.
Old 8th February 2008, 11:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> I think it would need more gear changes especially in city. THe car stalled > a few times when my friend tried to move at low speeds.

I checked out the specs at the site.

Indica DICOR & XL DICOR

Output (max) : 70PS@4000rpm
Torque(max) : 140nm@1800-3000rpm
Kerb weight : 1105kg / 1185kg

I don't remember how I thought in XL the torque starts from 1400rpm. Maybe the weight difference gives that push at around 1900rpm in the Indica DICOR. actual driving, the XL pull was better as it was even and strong continuously from 1400rpm.

Indica DLS / DLG, DLX

Output (max) : 62PS / 68PS @4000rpm
Torque(max) : 12.5kgm / 13kgm @2500rpm
Kerb weight : 1050kg

Indigo CS

Output (max) : 70PS@4500rpm
Torque(max) : 135nm@2500rpm
Kerb weight : 1065kg

From the above, you can see that the CS and the Indica Turbo are evenly
matched in specs especially the higher versions of the hatch.

I should do a test drive of the Indica DICOR!
Old 8th February 2008, 12:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
I should do a test drive of the Indica DICOR!
YES! YOU SHOULD. I felt it as good as the swift engine. THough a bit more louder. And here i get more space and better ride as a bonus. I think its worth keeping an eye on.

Can anyone confirm if it is the same engine that comes on the Indigo DiCOR and the Marina DiCOR. In that case how do they claim such extream F.E figures where i think the indica DiCOR was giving only around 15-16 km/l
Old 8th February 2008, 12:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Yeah. I do feel the same. I think it would need more gear changes especially in city. THe car stalled a few times when my friend tried to move at low speeds. I guess the CS would shoot out of his budget of 5L OTR. Not sure. Will check that out.
Check out Indigo CS LS last week. It costs 4.8lac OTR at Tvm. I was driven around in one ( I didnt drive coz of time concerns).

Do check it out. Its one great looking car with lots of space. Also built quality was great than I had seen. And the in cabin noise was well contained (a relative of mine has the Marina SX and that felt louder than CS; big difference.).
Old 8th February 2008, 12:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

gemi, ask him to drive a used palio 1.6 of a friend. tell him that the badge outside is just a sticker, like the ZDi ABS swifts we sometimes see.

let him drive, then you see!
Old 8th February 2008, 12:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
gemi, ask him to drive a used palio 1.6 of a friend. tell him that the badge outside is just a sticker, like the ZDi ABS swifts we sometimes see.

let him drive, then you see!

Guess he would murder me as soon as he buys it and reaches the petrol bunk.
Old 8th February 2008, 13:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> And the in cabin noise was well contained (a relative of mine has the Marina
> SX and that felt louder than CS; big difference

Yes. The noise levels are much much reduced.

At 8PM, when I got into the car, I never realised that the engine was already running. Hardly any noise or vibration.

The Indica family spoils you for space. The Indigo and cousins offer more.
Old 11th February 2008, 22:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ok. HEre are the updates. We got a test drive on the Palio Stile 1.1. Nothing much to say since its already been discussed and all of us know about its pros and cons more than any other car.

Another one was the Indica Turbo. Well. Nothing much to say. Its better to go for the Dicor at around 30K extra.
Old 12th February 2008, 08:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Also had a look at the CS. Guess you should actually open the boot to see what youa re getting into. There are two Solid Pillars right at the middle of the boot. Probably it must be the shocks. So You actually get to practically use only 50% of what you see. No power windows. A steering that looks like its been picked straight from the 407. I would probably choose the indica turbo or DiCOR over this one. Unless i want everyone around to shout out...Oh! he has a boot too!!!!

Last edited by gemithomas : 12th February 2008 at 08:49.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

not all of us have the same priorities, and tata has done nothing but cater to the majority .

auto vs tata nano-> ooh he has a CAR
indigo CS vs indica-> ooh he has a car with a BOOT
Ace vs lorry auto -> ooh he has a 4 WHEELER.

these are status symbols, and while it may not make a difference monetarily, there are , fringe benefits.
IIRC, one of the reasons why the ACE was made was because it would help the owner's marriage prospects.

Tata - Helping indian men get married since 1945

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th February 2008 at 11:21.
Old 13th February 2008, 14:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
IIRC, one of the reasons why the ACE was made was because it would help the owner's marriage prospects.
You are right....I recall reading an interview of Ravi Kant of Tata Motors where he mentioned about their research finding where men of marriageable age preferred a 4 wheeled load-carrier than a 3 wheeled one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks