Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2008, 20:25   #1
udaykars

Swift VDI or Aveo 1.4 ??

Hello Bhpin's,
I am Uday, i am new to this community. I am here for a help from you guys. I am on eve to buy a new car, after selling off my Zen di. Earlier i was almost sure to buy a Swift vdi. Because with maximum budget of 6 lacks, i thought swift would be the best buy [considering some of the reviews from different thread's]. swift vdi with ABS is costing me around 6 on road in Hyderabad.
But, the actual confusion came when, I heard from a close friend that, Aveo 1.4 base model is offered for 6.3 lacks on road [after all the discounts]. I thought, if i could stretch my budget a little more, I can buy a car of higher segment. which has more rear seat space and a Boot. I very well know that , I am comparing TWO different segments and Two different fuels.
I know there are more experience Guys out there, who can help me out.
My running is about 1500 - 2000 kms per month. [city and Highway]

MY PRIORITIES are

1] Good handling and decent performance.
2] Good braking
3] Very good ac.
4] comfortable space.
5] easy maintenance and After sales service6] Decent resale value]
7] reliability
8] decent FE

I know, i might be asking too much for my budget. but, have no choice. I want the best deal. Guys, please suggest me your precious suggestions
Thank you in advance [uday]

Moderator's Note: Please ensure all external tags are removed before posting. For more help, do go through our Announcements section

Last edited by theMAG : 27th February 2008 at 23:12. Reason: FONT tags removal

Old 27th February 2008, 20:46   #2
rippergeo

all your priorities are satisfied by the VDI with ABS except for number 4. how often do you travel with more than 4 people?

the swift is faster, handles better, is fun to drive and more economical.

IMO you shouldnt even consider the aveo till they put a decent engine in it.

Old 27th February 2008, 20:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps some font correction is in order. Aveo is better than Swift in most respects except for points 6 (sure), point 5 and 7 (maybe Aveo owners would know better).
Old 27th February 2008, 21:25   #4
BHPian

hi Udaykars
I feel u should go for swiftvdi, a) servability swift much better than aveo
b) parts avalibility
c) Maintainance cost
Old 27th February 2008, 23:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Swift vdi would give you all you need except more space comparing aveo as said by the doc-rippergeo.Aveo would never be as cheap to run as swift vdi.It would never give you a good resale value too.Service -depends on the two dealers at your place.
But on the contrary aveo gives you a boot,better interiors etc.So chalk down your preferences and take a test drive of both and decide.
ram
Old 27th February 2008, 23:22   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post

IMO you shouldnt even consider the aveo till they put a decent engine in it.

Why? The Aveo is more of an all-rounder than the Swift is. It does everything its supposed to in good stead. It may not have the same mindshare as the Swift does, but then again thats a generic condition to most non-Marutis in India.
Old 28th February 2008, 00:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well. If your running requires a deisel engine. Go for the Vdi. Nothing much to think at that price. UNless you want to wait for the March 11 launch of the Palio 1.3 Diesel. However it might take even longer for cars to really get on roads. But i think if you wait for this it would also meet your space requirements too.

Since better ride comfort, better quality interiors, a boot is not seen in your priority list i think you dont need to look at the aveo.
Old 28th February 2008, 00:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Why? The Aveo is more of an all-rounder than the Swift is. It does everything its supposed to in good stead.
Agree with you Mag!
Aveo is one of the underated Cars on this forum!

It is a nice car with good interiors, decent engine, Space, fresh Looks etc.
GM service is ok too.
Old 28th February 2008, 08:20   #9
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Why? The Aveo is more of an all-rounder than the Swift is. It does everything its supposed to in good stead. It may not have the same mindshare as the Swift does, but then again thats a generic condition to most non-Marutis in India.
the swift is quicker, handles better, has better resale, better service, better FE. just because the swift is more popular than the aveo, doesnt mean the swift is worse.

the swift is beaten on space, ride comfort and braking.
but everywhere else the swift wins.

what makes the aveo better? the car was insipid on a TD I had done.

the only way to make our manufacturers take notice is to vote with our wallets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Well. If your running requires a deisel engine. Go for the Vdi. Nothing much to think at that price. UNless you want to wait for the March 11 launch of the Palio 1.3 Diesel. However it might take even longer for cars to really get on roads. But i think if you wait for this it would also meet your space requirements too.

Since better ride comfort, better quality interiors, a boot is not seen in your priority list i think you dont need to look at the aveo.
I thought this was sound advice.

sorry mods, should have used the multiquote feature instead of back to back posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th February 2008 at 09:30. Reason: Back to back post

Old 28th February 2008, 09:26   #10
udaykars

Thank you very much guys for your advices. I really appreciate that. Most of you supported Swift vdi. But am still confused that, what is so bad about Aveo 1.4 ? Would it be a mere waste buying that car.

Old 28th February 2008, 09:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine owns Aveo 1.4, I liked following aspects of car:

- Space - quite roomie
- Ac -very effective
- Power - decent for its size

I think you can get good discounts on Aveo since its not selling that well

Only downside I see is re-sale, so unless you plan to keep it for 5 year or more it might not give you good value while reselling it.

Also the running costs on the Swift VDi will be lower due to higher mileage & lower fuel cost
Old 28th February 2008, 09:39   #12
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaykars View Post
Thank you very much guys for your advices. I really appreciate that. Most of you supported Swift vdi. But am still confused that, what is so bad about Aveo 1.4 ? Would it be a mere waste buying that car.
I'm not saying aveo is bad, I'm saying swift diesel is better, according to my interpretation of the priorities you listed out.

of course, the politically correct advice would be:-take a test drive of both and decide for yourself!
BUT
whats the fun in having an auto forum then?

Last edited by rippergeo : 28th February 2008 at 09:40. Reason: punctuation corrections

Old 28th February 2008, 09:48   #13
BHPian

Hi there,

any day Aveo 1.4, its one of the best appealing cars in its segment. The looks itself it so pleasing and fresh when compared to distorted looks of Swift.

Amit
Old 28th February 2008, 09:49   #14
udaykars

hello gemithomas, Thank you for responding to my thread. As you mentioned in your post. Is palio 1.3 diesel scheduled to launch on march 11, Is it official now ? Is this the same engine that comes in swift diesel and Grande punto ? If that's the case, then i shall [FONT=&quot]Definitely[/FONT] wait for it. And how do you think the service backup would be ?

Old 28th February 2008, 10:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

See one issue with 2008 is that if we start waiting we would end up waiting.lol.If fiat mjd is launched on march 11 punto will follow.Then the splash and the swift sedan.
Aveo 1.4 is a good looking(almost) car with very good interiors.Interiors of all GM vehicles have been too good.
But thats not enough to get the car going.Or else the figures would have told us otherwise.
ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks