Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
You have not mentioned your average daily running. I am assuming that it justifies a diesel.

All the Best!!
So far my running 33-35kms so it comes around 1000kms per month which I know is just not that strong reason for going in a diesel. Also I love to ride on my Thunderbird So sometimes i do not touch car.

What makes me incline more towards diesel car is that the cost of disel is 12-13 rupee less that petrol and quite a big amount can be saved on yearly basis.
But when you go at petrol pump and see fellow diesel rider pal giving less money and getting more fuel its just annoying

I've done all calculations of when will it achieve break-even if i go for diesel. I know it will take 4 years to recover extra cost of diesel i.e say around 85k if i assume that my running pattern remain same and that too when i drive car only which I think will never happen since I just love riding my Thunderbird as well.
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Hi there. This is my suggestion. List out your priorities in your new car (what you absolutely want, what you can live with and what you absolutely cannot tolerate) and then see what is the best match in your budget.
A lot of the complaints that you have mentioned are pure common sense. A really fast, well built car, with oodles of space and great A.S.S. is not going to be either cheap or all that fuel-efficient!
You have to make some compromises; which ones you're prepared to make are entirely up to you. NO car is perfect in everybody's eyes. Some like speed, some like looks, some like a comfortable soft suspension, some demand fuel efficiency. If there were truly a car that had ALL of this and that too under 5 lakhs, ALL of us would have that parked in our garage!
Agree with you no car is Perfect and one has to compromise in this or that area and give preference to priorities. Just trying to do that. My main priority is fuel efficiency. Second in the list is comfortable ride with very good pickup even with AC on. Rest I'm not mad about look of a car or some particular brand.
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_doctor View Post
well i think the best deal you could get with your budget is really the getz crdi.......heard its the engine of the diesel verna.....think thats 104 bhp power. swift diesel is one of the most refined in its segment......wait for the palio diesel if you could though. personally a very big fan of the fiat diesels.

the indica diesel turbo is good but not at all refined. mileage is also decent but then from what i hear you have to be lucky with the indica.....i have a one and a half year old indica run 40000 km with 0 prob and there are people who will be hurling abuses from day 1.
Indica was not refined car when had its TD. I know its a good car but is in the last list of my preference. A wise man will always go for VFM car like Indica diesel with all around performance. But I'm not that wise.
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

At just 1000km per month i think you should really be looking at the 1.6 Palio.
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
At just 1000km per month i think you should really be looking at the 1.6 Palio.

Hello Mr Gemithomas how are you? hehe I know you are Adventure guy I too love Palio 1.6 but really feel scary to burn whole in my pocket by paying fuel prices as compared to the guys with diesel hatches are paying.

See palio 1.6 cost 4.75 lack on road here in Delhi but after discounts it may come at 4.5 or 4.45lack. A palio mjd second model (SDE i guess) from base cost 5 lack on road. So the price difference is not much and I'm hoping that mjd can give good taste as the 1.6 gives I agree it would not be at par but would be good performance. Just waiting for TD of Palio 1.3 MJD then would be able to conculde.
Old 23rd March 2008, 23:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Pick up a Getz petrol (I think its called Prime or something like that). The 1.3 petrol has adequte performance and mileage - should serve you well for your 1,000 kms per month and leave you smiling. Why dont you wait for the pricing on this D'zire thing too - the petrol version may well be within your budget. Do not buy Indica/go - its model change year.

I really wouldnt advice a Palio petrol in this day and age - its a model that is over a decade old, which I think may even have been discontinued or is in the verge of being discontinued in the few markets that it sold a few numbers in.
Old 23rd March 2008, 23:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Pick up a Getz petrol (I think its called Prime or something like that). The 1.3 petrol has adequte performance and mileage - should serve you well for your 1,000 kms per month and leave you smiling. Why dont you wait for the pricing on this D'zire thing too - the petrol version may well be within your budget. Do not buy Indica/go - its model change year.

I really wouldnt advice a Palio petrol in this day and age - its a model that is over a decade old, which I think may even have been discontinued or is in the verge of being discontinued in the few markets that it sold a few numbers in.
Getz 1.3 I guess its expensive than swift. No clues about its onRoad price in delhi. Dont want to buy a sedan as we've mess of parking problem. Even a car like Swift is hard to park around in our streets what to consider of 3 box cars.
Old 23rd March 2008, 23:34   #23
BHPian

Your best bet is the Palio 1.6 as you wont be driving it much anyways. Diesel hatch owners are paying less but driving more, so if you think they are paying less, you maybe wrong, since they drive a lot more and are paying the same as you. But if you argue that it hurts when you see diesel hatch owners paying less, then ive got nothing to say.

Since you feel paying 50K more and getting a diesel is better for you then you can wait for a TD of the diesel palio but i would still say this -

You dont mind paying 50,000/- more for a diesel car whose maintainance will be every 5K kms and hence more than a petrol. Furthermore, the refinement and performance will not match upto the 1.6 sport.

Finally, the above paragraph makes a hell lot of sense when you go to see that your usage will hardly be 1000 kms per month, and mostly i think it will be even less as you love driving your bike and already have a 800.

In the end:
Diesel = 50,000 + More maintainance + less performance + less refinement + ur usage does not demand it at all. Also, diesel owners are driving much more even if they pay less, so they are paying the same as you, only they are saving their money because they would have to pay even more if they took petrol because they travel large distances.

And you still feel it hurts more when you will see diesel owners paying less at petrol pumps if you buy a petrol. Well, ive laid it out quite simply for you but in the end, it's your new car and your money. Spend it wisely.
Old 24th March 2008, 00:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Since FE is your concern, I would suggest the Spark or i10 from your list.

But if you like the joy of riding a diesel, Swift LDi or Palio MJD(tough choice here). Also make sure that the Swift LDi falls in your 5 lac budget. I guess it exceeds by around 20-25K.
Old 24th March 2008, 00:54   #25
Team-BHP Support

If FE and Ride is the priority stick with Palio D.
Old 24th March 2008, 12:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

I would not recommend a diesel for your usage. You can go for it if you want the Torque kick.
After discounts on offer, Getz 1.3 is an attractive option. It has got great space, refinement, comfort, build quality with good performance and mileage.

Swift is good for its engine and handling. It loses on space, ride and build quality. I personally do not like the rear looks of Swift.

I would not recommend Palio as A.S.S is really a concern.

As mileage is very important for you, you can consider i10, Santro Diesel and Spark aswell.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 24th March 2008 at 12:09.
Old 24th March 2008, 14:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dont frown at this. But going through all your posts i get a feeling that you are very much in love with your maruti 800. Why dont you look out for another 800 or an alto.
Old 24th March 2008, 20:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Your best bet is the Palio 1.6 as you wont be driving it much anyways. Diesel hatch owners are paying less but driving more, so if you think they are paying less, you maybe wrong, since they drive a lot more and are paying the same as you. But if you argue that it hurts when you see diesel hatch owners paying less, then ive got nothing to say.

Since you feel paying 50K more and getting a diesel is better for you then you can wait for a TD of the diesel palio but i would still say this -

You dont mind paying 50,000/- more for a diesel car whose maintainance will be every 5K kms and hence more than a petrol. Furthermore, the refinement and performance will not match upto the 1.6 sport.

Finally, the above paragraph makes a hell lot of sense when you go to see that your usage will hardly be 1000 kms per month, and mostly i think it will be even less as you love driving your bike and already have a 800.

In the end:
Diesel = 50,000 + More maintainance + less performance + less refinement + ur usage does not demand it at all. Also, diesel owners are driving much more even if they pay less, so they are paying the same as you, only they are saving their money because they would have to pay even more if they took petrol because they travel large distances.

And you still feel it hurts more when you will see diesel owners paying less at petrol pumps if you buy a petrol. Well, ive laid it out quite simply for you but in the end, it's your new car and your money. Spend it wisely.
Hi! thanks...liked your suggestions. But I will surely give it due weightage while finalizing the car. It is true that I ride Bike as well. But M800 will be handed over to my wife.
So I'll be concentrating on my car and bike.
But I'm not much clear about how much maintaineance is extra with respect to diesel and and if you say diesel need service after around 5k kms then what is the case with petrol cars.
Old 24th March 2008, 20:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Dont frown at this. But going through all your posts i get a feeling that you are very much in love with your maruti 800. Why dont you look out for another 800 or an alto.
No, I need a change and move to upper segment from the current league of 800. I know its one of best and I still love it. But time has come to upgrade. Hence looking for options
Old 24th March 2008, 20:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I would not recommend a diesel for your usage. You can go for it if you want the Torque kick.
After discounts on offer, Getz 1.3 is an attractive option. It has got great space, refinement, comfort, build quality with good performance and mileage.

Swift is good for its engine and handling. It loses on space, ride and build quality. I personally do not like the rear looks of Swift.

I would not recommend Palio as A.S.S is really a concern.

As mileage is very important for you, you can consider i10, Santro Diesel and Spark aswell.
Any clues what is the current price of Getz 1.3 onRoad after discounts?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks