Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2008, 11:17   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamry View Post
My initial choice was always Santro then I read some horrendous Long term possession threads about Santro's crank shaft/engine failures.
There are quite a number of major engine failures being reported for the Santro Xing. However, if you notice closely, all of them are 2004 models. Must be limited to a particular batch.

Santro is a tried and tested model. Spark may be a better car, but ownership is something of a risk, specially because of resale factor.
Old 24th May 2008, 13:04   #17
BHPian

FirstCamry, We too have narrowed down our choice of a second car to the Santro GLS and Spark LS. My dad drives a '03 Santro and to this day it has been highly reliable and perfect for the city. However this time looks like the Spark package is better on all counts except resale value.
A word of caution though, we've had bad experiences with TVS sundaram for our Palio, friends and family have had mixed experiences with TVS for Honda and Peugeot A.S.S.
Haven't heard much about KLN motors, Ambattur the other Chevy authorized service center.
Old 25th May 2008, 00:07   #18
bkm
BHPian

Spark , a high class drive experience is the choice at the offered price
Old 25th May 2008, 01:00   #19
BHPian

FirstCamry, go for spark

After lots of mind puzzling between i10 and spark, I also booked one spark LS for my sister today. Seeing and counting all the terms that turned out to the best vfm
Old 25th May 2008, 18:58   #20
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamry View Post
Thanks you all for your responses. I was getting inclined towards Spark until I started reading all the replies.
If we are calling Santro outdated now, I am afraid that 2 years down the line Santro will become historic ? Will it have still good resale ?
My initial choice was always Santro then I read some horrendous Long term possession threads about Santro's crank shaft/engine failures.

Worst part - I cant to a TD because I am really not confident driving .
On resale value and A.S.S. Santro wins, as pointed out. If you are going to drive the car under load (say, with 3-4 people in it), Santro wins because it is more spacious and has better pickup. Considering that you haven't much driving experience, you will like the fact that the Santro has a minimum turning radius of 4.4 m (versus Spark's 4.6 m); so Santro is more maneuverable. Also Santro wins on power steering (superbly accurate; believe me, you can corner and maneuver the pants off some of the more fancied cars in a Santro). On gear shift, Santro wins. Here is a comparison of Santro and Spark by one buyer:

HYUNDAI SANTRO XING ERLX Review

Of course Spark is also a good car and you won't regret going for it. Its main advantages appear to be on better mileage, better ride and possibly more refined engine (debatable).

I have a 8-year old Santro (1-lit), done 73000 kms so far. Engine is still smooth and at its peak despite hitting ~150 kmph speed on the highway every week. No rattles, great after-sales support from Hyundai despite this model being discontinued for several years. The stories you have heard about crank shaft failures, etc. are inevitable, considering the large number of Santros being sold in the market. I love my old Santro because of its legendary reliability and its superb handling and maneuverability, whether in city or highway. I don't mind the stiff rear suspension because it helps in high-speed handling (I do Pune-Mumbai-Pune every week). It is true that the accelerator position is a bit awkward, but I am used to it by now.

If you go for Santro, make sure you immediately exchange the stock tubed tyres with a good tubeless brand of stock size (e.g. Bridgestone, Michelin). I don't think alloy wheels will be within your budget and you don't need them if you stick to stock-size tyres.

Last edited by rks : 25th May 2008 at 19:07.
Old 25th May 2008, 20:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

I'd put my bet on the time-tested Santro, though Spark might me newer and offer better interiors( though I detest the centrally-placed speedometer) . On the mileage front, I think both are on par.
Whatever problems were reported on Santro crankshafts seem to be limited to a particular year--2004. Only issue with the Santro is that the ride in the rear is a wee bit bumpy.
From what I've read, the Santro is more peppy and fun to drive than even the i10.
Old 25th May 2008, 21:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

If you plan to use the car only around big cities where all makers have presence, go for the Spark.
Otherwise do also look at the Wagon and the Estilo.
The Santro is almost at end of life cycle here, and even the Wagon for that matter! The difference is that the Wagon is Maruti and support will NEVER dry up.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:08   #23
BHPian

Go for Spark, its really a lovely car and fun to drive.

I bought a WagonR LXI 10 days back. Its nice and car and I love it. The only reason I didnt buy a Spark was that We own a Matiz and spark is built on the same platform and I wanted something different.

Santro is time tested, but still I find a Spark to be way better.
Old 27th May 2008, 14:14   #24
BHPian

Bro I dont know why are even confused between spark and santro. Spark hands down. Its latest and Its too early to comment on its resale. I think its resale in next two years will improve considerably, duo to high sales.

Dont be Confused. Sparky is good car. Though I dont like its looks at all. Still at your budget I would go for it. Anyday.

I10<Spark<Santro.
Old 27th May 2008, 14:18   #25
BHPian

FirstCamry, any reason why you are not looking at WagonR or Zen? With the discounts on these, they will work out to be very low on cost. Both of them have great FE and resale value. Is it because of the looks?
Old 27th May 2008, 14:25   #26
BHPian

@FirstCamry.

Since u aren't really comfortable in the Driver's seat the Spark is the ideal choice. And now GM cars come with a 3 year warranty with 3 yr cashless service. So if you plan to sell after 2 yrs, it will defintely be an incentive for the next buyer
Old 28th May 2008, 19:21   #27
BHPian

Where went the thread starter?

Decided yet or want to know more about my Sparky (going to be a year old soon!!)

Nimz
Old 28th May 2008, 20:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post

Decided yet or want to know more about my Sparky (going to be a year old soon!!)

Nimz
Nimz - tell us about it. Would like to know, considering it as a replacement for my mom's 800.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post

Nimz
Apologies from me. I have been following the comments everyday but just didnt get a chance to reply . I want to thank each
I did post a big reply about certain other choices but that comment never got posted. I dont know whats the reason. It said the moderator will review your post and then it will be published. But anyway it never got published.

The news is re-sale factor is big again. I though of giving this car(Spark) but that plan me not go forward. He already have a Alto and want to live with it.
Also I have been hearing the new of oil prices going up and petrol in India may touch 60/- and diesel 40/- . Some part of my brain is voting for Indica V2 and going the diesel way. My city highway split will be 80:20, with 80 in city. Would Indica would be advisable then ?

Had test-ride on Sparky , loved it except the awfully misplaced speedometer/odometer . The rep was honest to accept that re-sale might be a problem.
I will hear from you guys for couple of days more and on Saturday I am booking the car.
So speak out for two days more.
Thanks all!
Old 29th May 2008, 12:05   #30
BHPian

I also own a spark, brought it month back.
Honesty its a great car. initially we were also worried about re-sale value but since we are keeping for long time, the cost to ownership is lowest in class with 3yr cashless warranty. so its works out to be cheaper.

Second thing was placement of controls.
1) speedometer/odometer in center didn't bother much, i am sort of driver who does'nt look at meter every now and then concentrates on road. Also there are warning lamps given right in front is anything that needs your attention.
Also this is the "in" thing. as many latest models are coming with this(New indica,nano) and also gives a distinct look to spark.

2) For some reason The position of turn indicator & windshield wiper has been interchanged. I being a slow learner took around a week to get familar with it.
now its perfectly okay.

ALso there is romour that price of spark are increasing from next month...
so act fast

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks