Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2008, 21:47   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Palio D, 2004(40k km on odo) for 2.4(haven't bargained yet)
Palio EL 2002 with gas kit for 1.6
Both are single owners.
Just another question, is it better to buy a car from an indivisual? My biggest concern there is the paperwork and the risk of buying a stolen car.
I am somehow not liking dealers. Already got into a verbal fight with "classic automotives", bangalore today. He didn't have any Palios and he was digressing and giving me vague excuses like how santros are better.
One of the main reasons why I don't want to buy a santro/alto/wagonR is that I stand at 6'3''
Palio D is a much better choice than the 1.2. Its so much more easier to drive in he city than the 1.2. It does get a bit boomy at high speeds though.That said, check from your Tata-Fiat if spares for Palio D are easily available. The 1.2 should have an upper hand in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Also, do pop the hood and look at the ECU. See if it says D8 or D9

How prominent is this on the ECU?

I have to decide between a 2002 and prior palio and a 2005 Ford Fusion....any inputs?
Pricealio around the 1Lac - 1.50Lac
Fusion: whats a price for some of these, the seller is asking for 3.85Lac (I heard a loud laugh in my head when I heard that figure.. ent "yeah right, take 2.50 or 2.60 tops)
But Palio or Fusion?
The D8 or D9 is prominent enough. The D9's engine will also be smoother than the D8's. But thats about it. The D8 is a much better car to drive with decent pick up and fuel efficiency.
Fusion, being a 1.6 cannot be compared to a Palio 1.2. Fusion is a brilliant car to drive and has much better quality levels than the Palio. The steering is better than the Palio.Why dont you go for a Palio 1.6 instead if power is what you want? Super value for money and almost as good as the Fusion in all aspects at half the Fusion's asking price.

Last edited by roms : 1st June 2008 at 21:49.
Old 1st June 2008, 22:22   #17
BHPian

Palio

I just saw a Palio 1.9 D elx, asking price 3 lacs , make 2006????, so either bangy has huge resale gap or you need to find a broker and a friend with sound car knowledge.

We can find many cars of 2003 genre below 1.7 k, however I would suggest you to go for the S10 edition available for nearly 2.5 L in good condition. scan the net, there are a few available in bangalore.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:37   #18
BHPian

I bought mine last month..A Fiat Palio ELPS December 2003 40k km done for 1.5 lac and am pretty happy so far with the cars performance. Also got the ICE Cassette one and 4 Power windows OEM Vision made.
Engine is very good and scratchless body. Just tyres may need replacement in couple thousand kms.
As per me its worth every penny if we compare it with brand new Alto or santro pantro or any car. Its giving me mileage of 11-12km in Delhi.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
I bought mine last month..A Fiat Palio ELPS December 2003 40k km done for 1.5 lac and am pretty happy so far with the cars performance. Also got the ICE Cassette one and 4 Power windows OEM Vision made.
Engine is very good and scratchless body. Just tyres may need replacement in couple thousand kms.
As per me its worth every penny if we compare it with brand new Alto or santro pantro or any car. Its giving me mileage of 11-12km in Delhi.
I would like to add further that I did not bargain much with the Owner since i Found the car to be in very good condition. The asked price was 1.55 lack and I said 1.50 lack and he said Ok and deal. May be it was decision by heart. Just was a passion to own a Palio!! I know the fact that service is bad parts are rare breed to find and expensive. But at the end of day I'm riding a machine which is made to perfection!!!
Old 7th June 2008, 02:07   #20
BHPian

So, I have been hunting for a used Palio for the last few days.

I'll first start off with a small advice. Mahindra firstchoice should be avoided. Atleast the one on Bull temple road in bangalore. I was quoted 1.9L for a 2002 Palio ELX. Saw the car today. It had dents and scratches all over. The bonnet was not aligned properly, had dents. The front right door wouldn't close completely. There were dents at the bottom most part of the bumper.To top it all, the car was registered in the name of some "XYZ Silk house pvt. limited".
Obviously, the car was driven carelessly by chauffeurs.
One funny incident occurred.
To begin with, I came across some of the worst and most hostile salesmanship EVER.When I was pointing out that a lot of flaws exist in the car, I was told by the showroom owner that these are minor flaws which even exist in premium cars like Honda city. When I told him that Palios run in Europe, Honda city's don't, I was promptly told that "Fiat sends rejected stuff from Europe over to India".
By now, I had decided that I am not dealing with these guys ever. So I just asked him "Can you write down your statement for me? I think lawyers at Fiat would be really interested to hear what you have to say about them"
I walked out of the showroom shortly after telling them that I'd have to think twice to pay even 1 L for this car.
Just an advice to everyone, be careful if you are dealing with these used car showrooms owned by big brands like mahindra and maruti. They are hardly different from your average joe-Used Cars showroom. To top it, they charge you more with the argument that they tested the engine.

Anyhow, I found another Palio with a local dealer. 2001 EL. I still haven't seen the car, but I was told by the owner that the car has Power steering. AFAIK, the EL has no power steering and I have doubts that the car has power steering.
I am quoted 1.1 for the car. It has a gas kit fitted in. I just need a car for every day commute(35Km average per day).
Thus, just a few quick questions:
(1)Does one really need power steering on a 1.2 car?
(2)What difference does a gas kit make? Can I still use petrol?
(3)What all do I need to check which are related to the gas kit? I'll be going with my mechanic.

Again, thanks a lot everyone. Any further help can only be appreciated.
Old 7th June 2008, 07:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Palio Sport 1.2

my cousine got a Palio Sport 1.2 2002 make last week for 1.25L. it has 4 power windows, power steering rear viper , sporty dial n pedal, rear spoiler. owner quoted 1.5L first and later since he was in hurry to go aborad, offerd at 1.25L. only problem is tacho isnt functioning properly for which showroom people told 10K to replace the entire set and a small dent at left front.

It was driven only in city with AC on always with FE around 10. Had a chance to drive it. I must say it is too good.

After driving that, i have dream of owning a Palio if getting such a good car around 1.5L
Old 7th June 2008, 08:33   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I told him that Palios run in Europe, Honda city's don't, I was promptly told that "Fiat sends rejected stuff from Europe over to India".
Any idea which all European countries it was sold in?
Quote:
(1)Does one really need power steering on a 1.2 car?
Its not about the 1.2 engine. Its more about the weight of the car, and the Palio is more into the premium hatchback category when it comes to size and weight.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th June 2008 at 08:37.
Old 7th June 2008, 11:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any idea which all European countries it was sold in?
None AFAIK. Other than the rare sighting of the sedan and the truck versions.
The idea was not to give him facts but to intimidate him.
One has to go to to the bull temple showroom to witness the hostility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Its not about the 1.2 engine. Its more about the weight of the car, and the Palio is more into the premium hatchback category when it comes to size and weight.
That makes sense.
Any comments on what to test for, in the gas kit?
Old 7th June 2008, 12:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Anyhow, I found another Palio with a local dealer. 2001 EL. I still haven't seen the car, but I was told by the owner that the car has Power steering. AFAIK, the EL has no power steering and I have doubts that the car has power steering.
The Fiat Palio 1.2El has a power steering along with Central Locking

I just saw a ad posting for the above model in Bangalore...you can check it

http://www.clickindia.com/detail.php?id=213267

Hope this info helps you..

I myself on a lookout for a used Palio in navi mumbai/mumbai and i tell you its tough to find a good one!

Cheers~
Old 8th June 2008, 20:17   #25
BHPian

Finally, it has come down to two choices. I need to book one by Tuesday.

(1)Palio 2001 EL
61000 Km
Good condition, slight scratches but nothing major.
No speakers
2nd owner
Only one rear view mirror(driver side)
Maroon
3rd party insurance
LPG kit(certified)
Final price on offer:1.1(including registration transfer and an upgrade to a comprehensive insurance).

(2)(1)Palio 2002 EL
74000 Km
Excellent condition.
Pioneer speakers
JVC CD player
Good interiors(seat covers etc)
1st owner
Only one rear view mirror(driver side): (is this the spec for the 2002 EL? I found this a little surprising)
Silver
3rd party insurance
LPG kit(certified)
Final Price on offer:1.25(including registration transfer and an upgrade to a comprehensive insurance)

Test drove both the cars and hired a mechanic to check them.
Frankly, both the cars felt the same. I couldn't tell the difference. Drove on all gears(except 5th, thanks to bangalore traffic) with AC on/off and on both petrol and LPG. With LPG, the car somehow feels smoother. I was expecting a drop in pickup.But I guess, one would feel that ~5th gear.

The mechanic saw both the cars and turned out to be a moron. He couldn't tell me anything conclusive about either cars except "Iska tyre 4 mahine me change karaana(for the first car). Jo bhi lo,4 mahine baad servicing karaa lena. barabar hai, parwaah mat karo. Jo achha lage aapko, woh le lo."

I was never into the whole gas thing, but both the cars have a gas kit which just comes as a bonus.
So, just a few questions:
(1)Which one? I am inclined towards the 2nd because it somehow feels better maintained.Besides, I prefer Silver to maroon
(2)However, one concern I have is that, is it possible that a truck rams into my car from behind and the gas-tank explodes?
(3)I am literally scared of paper work. What all do I need to check? All I have seen till now are the registration papers for both the cars, Insurance papers and registration certificate for the LPG kit.
(4)I am expecting the car to have a life of at least 3-5 more years. Anyhow, I don't have an issue spending upto 20k a year for maintenance. I know fiat service is expensive, but is there a chance that i may end up spending 35k+ a year on the car for maintenance?

Thanks in advance.
I am really excited about this because this is going to be the first car that I am buying.I was a student till last year, the reason I can't buy a new car. No bank is willing to give me a loan since I do not have a credit history.
Old 8th June 2008, 22:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest the sliver just because its the first owner car and second it has some goodies too
Old 8th June 2008, 23:22   #27
BHPian

Just a silly question.
If I empty the gas cylinder and just run my car on petrol, can the cylinder still pose any danger?
Old 9th June 2008, 00:02   #28
BHPian

He he he. You seem to be paranoid about the gas kit . Yes, an empty tank should not cause any danger.

The prices quoted seem fine to me. You can take the cars to Green Tracks and have a complete check-up done just to be on the safer side.
Old 9th June 2008, 09:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Silver one ! As Manikjeet already mentioned its 1st owner and has goodies too!
Old 9th June 2008, 14:45   #30
BHPian

GO for the silver one!

As for as LPG Kit is concerned, you would surely like to know since when the car is running on LPG and whether the kit is open loop or closed loop and the name of the kit manufacturer. I would also suggest you to take it to an expert get his opinion to understand if there is going to be big maintainance work ahead!!

I have installed a BRC sequential Kit on my 1.6GTX and enjoying the power and mileage of the car. It is very unlikely to see anything going wrong with Engine related stuff if the car has run only 10-20K but you can expect some work in the Engine head after the car has run 40k in LPG(this is what I heard from the Mechanic).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks