Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 18:00   #1

Hyundai i10 Magna or Chevrolet UVA LS

Hi All,
I was considering the purchase of a new car and am in a quandry whether to go for the high end variant of i10 or the mid end variant of UVA. Let me elaborate the specifics.
i10:
I test drove it. I has slick gears,superb handling and amazing throttle reponse(or should I say accel reponse). The interiors is what I liked about the i10 most.Pleasing colour, contemporary dash .All in all Wonderfully done !Regarding service and maintenance, I guess I can rest assured because it is a Hyundai.
But ultimately it is a small car and might let me down on my weekend getaways that I keep planning often! Also the top end variant retails for around 4.5 On-Road.

UVA:
Not a fair comparison to make but I still have to.Its a big car that looks Uber cool externally and the ride quality is absolutely brilliant. The composure of the car while going over pot holes and bumps stunned me .Bottomline, it was a pleasure to drive it.The space inside is comparable to sedans , thats another thing going for it.The most important plus is the 3 year free service offer which should take care of most of the service costs of the car for the next three years. Now comes the list of negatives.I test drove a car that already had 2000 kms under its belt but still the gearbox seemed notchy.The interiors are dull grey, not all that great.The dials seemed to be resting deep inside their boxes.And last the engine though refined, is still small and I am afraid it might still let me down on a highway.The price is around 5.10 for the LS variant (with free Mp3 and two front speakers)

Having listed these down ,I'll also tell you my requirement and my operating conditions( if you can call it that !)

I want a good looking , city car (Peppy drive,smooth turns,robust handling)
I want peace of mind when it comes to maintenance.
I'll be driving mostly in the city and will probably have a monthly outing on the highway ( radius : atleast 70 km- max 350 km)
All 4 power windows and central locking are a bare minimum.
I have budget of 5.0 L stretchable max by 10K.

Now ladies(if any!) and gentlemen my quandry, i10 MAGNA or UVA LS. Help !
Plus what's this talk about a new UVA being launched ?

Jazz
Old 10th June 2008, 18:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Based on your req, I think i10 suits most. New car, great interiors, Hyundai A.S.S, small and so easy to drive and park in city.

On the other hand the only + I see on UVA is space.

Hope it helps.
Old 10th June 2008, 19:12   #3
BHPian

I feel that you should gather some courage and go for the Uva.Uva is in a diff league altogether and I personally found it as spacious as my car[lancer].Moroever, the FE of Hyundai's are nothing much to write home either + you will be able to get some discounts on the U-va.
Old 10th June 2008, 19:21   #4
BHPian

Surprised as the comparison is made to a GM car and you brought out the issue of FE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
Moroever, the FE of Hyundai's are nothing much to write home either + you will be able to get some discounts on the U-va.
These cars are in different leagues, though I would pick the i10 considering the usage pattern and other priorities mentioned.
Old 10th June 2008, 19:27   #5
BHPian

@JEEp - By no means I was trying to say that Uva has a better Fe but was just saying that if atall the i10 had something better than the Uva it was its FE but again not by a big margin.He seems to have some weekend drives thus I suggested the Uva.
Old 10th June 2008, 19:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
I want a good looking , city car (Peppy drive,smooth turns,robust handling)
i10 wins this one comfortably.
Quote:
I want peace of mind when it comes to maintenance.
Hyundai is only 2nd to Maruti in service. Chevrolet is not known for service, but they are trying hard with some very good schemes like 3 years full free service, including consumables.
Quote:
Plus what's this talk about a new UVA being launched ?
Check this link for pics-
Chevrolet’s new aveo U-VA 2008 | Straight Frm The Heart
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...va-2008-a.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th June 2008 at 19:29.
Old 10th June 2008, 19:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

With the conditions you have put in, I feel you better go for swift. It matches all your criteria. Why don't you try this.

Among your choices, i10 would be perfect and suits your criteria though you do not have more space inside.

Last edited by snaronikar : 10th June 2008 at 19:38.
Old 10th June 2008, 19:36   #8
BHPian

Beleive me the space inside in the i10 is really less.I found the swift better and Uva far far better.
Old 10th June 2008, 22:06   #9
BHPian

If it was me, I would go for the UVA.
Why?
Primarily because I simply don't like driving the same car as everyone around me. Call me an idiot, but I like to stand out.
Other reasons:
(1)I hate the i10 looks. From a distance, it looks like a santro.
(2)I doubt it would give substantially better mileage.

The only thing against the UVA would be resale value.

I would advice you to not rule out other hatchbacks either.
Swift might be a better choice for you.
Old 11th June 2008, 00:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
If it was me, I would go for the UVA.
Why?
Primarily because I simply don't like driving the same car as everyone around me. Call me an idiot, but I like to stand out.
One of the reason I bought i10 was that not many were having it at the time when I bought it and will it be a competition winner was yet to be proved.
What if after UVA-2008 gets launched, people start rushing to buy that? Will U sell your car then and there?

Anyways.
Space in I10 is less than that of U-VA. If planning regular weekend trip, go for UVA, you can put all your luggage there wheras boot of i10 is a bit cramped.

Mileage of current i10 is definitely greater than the current(2007) U-VA though it might just be a difference of 2kmpl.

According to your needs I think U-VA suits you better. I10 is deifinitely a fun to drive car and is a breeze in city traffic but I think when going for weekend drives, more power and space is definitely an advantage.cheers:
Old 11th June 2008, 01:12   #11
BHPian

I think you can test drive getz I personally feel its one of the most balance car with lots of space decent engine (you can look for 1.3 if it fits your budget) very good Fe
Old 11th June 2008, 01:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

go in for the i10 its here to stay, the u-va's future is uncertain and later on the availability of spares,resale value and other things will disappoint you in the long run.

rest assured if you want that peace of mind factor at the end of the day the i10 wins heads up against aveo u-va, so make your move.
Old 11th June 2008, 01:32   #13
BHPian

you can look at a lot of cars in htat budget and your requirements..

Swift
Spark
Getz
Xeta

just to name a few.. Any specific reasons on the UVA and the i10 alone..

To choose between the 2.

Looks are subjective, I agree.. and for me an i10 doesnt do it..
Peppy engine - I dont know about the i10 but the UVA aint all that peppy or smooth turns.. again I dont know about the i10 and my Spark is the point of reference.

Nimz
Old 11th June 2008, 08:55   #14

Whyyyyyyy not Getz ??????

Its, sad nobody suggested the Getz 1.3.

@JAZZ the new variant of the Getz 1.3 - the GVS launched in MAY comes at 5.1L and it has almost everything that you would want in your car.

I booked a Getz 1.3 GVS a few days back and i am more than happy with my decision. Look at my other thread for more info on the Getz 1.3 GVS
Old 11th June 2008, 09:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

i10 would be a better buy. Its new , good interiors , Good A** , Decent engine for city driving. But i think its overpriced for a 1.1 engine.

PS : wait for the 1.2 petrol or the i10 crdi .

Aveo : Looks decent , Excellent Space.
Drawbacks: A** , Interiors not upto the mark, Engine does lose out in highways.

My vote would go for i10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks