Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: which car for tall drivers

I am 6'2 and have been driving a Ritz for last 3 years, and i can assure you , its a very good car for tall people.
You don't have to seat in the car, you can just walk into it.
But like all the hatch , if we have a driver who is 6'2 you can't expect any space behind the drivers seat .

Vista is also a very good option for tall drivers.

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:46   #32
BHPian

@drsingh - I found the
-Santro - okay,
-Figo - good. (I bought it this car)
-Ethios / Liva - very comfy, (have not driven it for long, so cant say if its good/bad). -i20 - satisfactory.
-Punto - excellent.

Sedan-wise
-Honda City - good,
-Manza - excellent, but I am wary of Tata quality.
-Logan - quite good.
-SX4 - Very good.
-Quanto - (not driven) but IMHO, it should be adequate.

In fact if I leave ingress/egress out. I find my Baleno very comfortable to drive around

Last edited by neofromcapone : 23rd April 2013 at 11:47. Reason: added SX4
neofromcapone is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:00   #33
Team-BHP Support

I am 6'1", and I found these to be very comfortable for my height and driving posture :

Swift / Ritz : excellent ergonomics, the driver sits slightly more upright, and is close to perfect.

Punto : perhaps the maximum legspace in any hatch with maximum seat pushback travel (I even showed a picture of this in my ownership review). Overall ergonomics are very good for tall drivers, but some people find the driving position itself awkward for some strange reason. While the Swift/Ritz are more upright (which I prefer), in the Punto you sit lower down in a sportier stance - not a universally liked thing by all drivers, although we enthusiasts may like it.

Figo / Fiesta - decent ergonomics and legspace, but the Figo felt too low, very close to the ground.
i20 - decent legspace for tall drivers, but inadequate underthigh support for long legs.
Polo / Fabia - average
Beat - Free Dancing classes in your seat after a couple of hours.
WagonR - decent legroom, but the seating position is way too upright for my liking.

My pick among the hatchbacks for no-nonsense, universally pleasing ergonomics would be the Swift. For sheer cockpit legspace and airy feel, Punto wins.

Among sedans :

Honda Civic : absolutely amazing ergonomics for tall drivers. I couldn't find a single flaw with either the driving position, seat support, armrest or reach of controls. Would be my pick for one of the best ergonomics among all the sub-20L cars I have driven so far.

Nissan Sunny / Renault Scala : Its a Caaaaaaar.. no need to ask any more questions

The Fiat Linea is very similar to, but better than the Punto. The only difference is that you sit more upright and higher than in the Punto, with better underthigh support. Both these cars have very good seat travel capacity (front to back movement), but that also means making your cockpit spacious will hog backseat legroom totally!

Other tall-people-friendly sedans I have driven :

Corolla Altis
Skoda Laura
Hyundai Accent

I've left out some of the cars which people have already mentioned about.

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd April 2013 at 14:16.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 20:50   #34
BHPian

@Schoudhury, Being 6'1" I enjoyed my first TD of RITZ and I paid advance too for a ZXI. My second TD was on a Muddy road with huge bumps all over. Alternating b/w break and accelerator left me with a bad ankle pain with slight hip pain on the right. It got me worried.
Could you mention the exact seating position normally in bump-bump to traffic and also when you have rear-seat passenger behind the driver's seat.

I will try a third TD. This will be my first car and I want it to be perfect.
Old 26th April 2014, 01:04   #35
DWC
BHPian

Can anyone comment on the leg space in the polo/vento for a 6 footer? Heard that the left knee is in contact with the center console. Looking to go the gt tdi/tdi route, but this would be reason for me to walk away.
Old 26th April 2014, 06:05   #36
BHPian

I am 6 ft tall and 6 ft wide
My Vista is really comfortable in this regard and so is the Manza.
The new Honda City was another car I found really comfortable.
Old 26th April 2014, 10:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakharamcool View Post
Hello

I recently am thinking of buying a car , but to my horror my 6'2" frame couldnot fit in the drivers seat of a maruti esteem ,, so which all cars can fit my frame comfortably

or which cars are suited for tall drivers ?

in the "small car ., hatch ,. sedan" segments
My friend, who is 6'4", had a similar problem. As an added complication he also had undergone spine surgery for disc issues.

Most of his drives are work commute of 20-30 kms with a driver. Other times he drives the car himself. I strongly suggested that he look at the SX4. He cribs a bit about the average but otherwise finds it excellent. When being driven around he sits in the front passenger seat as it is very comfortable there. Also ingress & exit is manageable.

Take a good look at the SX4. If you can afford it go for the AT-ZXI model. You will be able to wrangle some good discounts at it is nearing end of production run.
Old 26th April 2014, 11:41   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I am 6'2 and have been driving a Ritz for last 3 years, and i can assure you , its a very good car for tall people. You don't have to seat in the car, you can just walk into it. But like all the hatch , if we have a driver who is 6'2 you can't expect any space behind the drivers seat .
+1. Once the seat is set for a 6' tall person the rear seats are only for kids. Nothing much can be done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
Could you mention the exact seating position normally in bump-bump to traffic and also when you have rear-seat passenger behind the driver's seat.
I am 5'11 and I had the Ritz for 3 years will heavy driving (covered 1.08 lakh kms in 3 years) but no pain anywhere. If you have experienced pain the ankle then the seat is positioned too near the pedals/steering wheel, try pushing it back and drive around. The pain you were experiencing in your hip area could be due to the too upright angle set of the backrest. Try slanting the backrest a bit backwards and then do a TD.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 13:34   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Can anyone comment on the leg space in the polo/vento for a 6 footer? Heard that the left knee is in contact with the center console. Looking to go the gt tdi/tdi route, but this would be reason for me to walk away.
I am not sure if this is going to be of any help but I am a 6 footer myself. I haven't been in the driver seat of a Polo but once I traveled in my friend's Polo. He is 5'10" and was driving while I was sitting behind him. For the 10 odd kms distance I had a pretty bad time. My legs were squeezed between the front and rear seats (I can't comment on the seat travel of the front seat) and my head was almost scraping the roof. That was the last time I sat in his car.
Old 26th April 2014, 13:59   #40
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am not sure if this is going to be of any help but I am a 6 footer myself. I haven't been in the driver seat of a Polo but once I traveled in my friend's Polo.
Thanks for the reply ashis89. Won't be using the backseat at all. I'm already aware of the cramped rear seat but it's just me and the Mrs. with the occasional rear passenger so back seat comfort is not really a priority.

Can anyone shed some light on the front seat comfort of the polo for a 6 footer?
Old 26th April 2014, 14:50   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post

Thanks for the reply ashis89. Won't be using the backseat at all. I'm already aware of the cramped rear seat but it's just me and the Mrs. with the occasional rear passenger so back seat comfort is not really a priority.

Can anyone shed some light on the front seat comfort of the polo for a 6 footer?
Front seats are not a concern anytime. Most of the hatchbacks have good front seating.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 20:36   #42
BHPian

Was searching for a similar thread before I bought RITZ VDI after a minimal TD just to assure myself that ingress / egress will be okay(I am a 6 footer with not so small paunch too!). Now it is 2 1/2 yrs old. Apart from my comfort, ingress / egress for my 73 yr old mother is also easy in RITZ which offers peace of mind as we buy car not only considering ourselves. But I find others mentioning Honda City as comfortable for tall people which appears contradictory to me as it is a low slung sedan. Why I say this is because the FORD FIGO which is my office conveyance, I find it difficult to get out which has comparable height to City. Can anybody clarify
Old 26th April 2014, 22:00   #43
BHPian

I am 6'2" and 90 kgs. With this big a frame I am just about manage to fit in my current ride Wagon R. I had booked an ecosport last July and will be getting it soon. Wanted to ask how comfort on long drives for tall drivers is when compared to New Honda city and the 2014 first linea. Had only a 10 min TD of ecosport so can't comment much.
Old 18th July 2014, 08:07   #44

Hi, I am 6'4" and 100kgs. Please suggest a premium hatch or a sedan (sub 10 lakh).
Main consideration is the driver leg room, rear leg space does not matter. No Tata cars please.
Would specially like to know about Amaze and Dzire. Other options also welcome.
I am upgrading from Ritz zxi

Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 09:00   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp_magnum View Post
Hi, I am 6'4" and 100kgs. Please suggest a premium hatch or a sedan (sub 10 lakh).
Main consideration is the driver leg room, rear leg space does not matter. No Tata cars please.
Would specially like to know about Amaze and Dzire. Other options also welcome.
I am upgrading from Ritz zxi

Thanks
I am 6'2" and weigh little more than you. I have been driving a Dzire for over 4 months now and I felt its marginally better than my Swift in drivers leg room. No complaints so far. Take a longish test drive because it takes some time to find the ideal seating in new cars.

I have not driven the amaze so I will leave it to other members to comment. But I think it comes with a integrated head rest that might be a problem.

If you are looking at Petrol option then the new City is the best in driver leg room and it should be under 10 Lacs. It also leaves lot of space for rear passengers too. My pick would be City.

Also check the face lifted Fiesta the seats are one of the best in the class, but again diesel will be out of the budget I guess. You can also wait for the new Honda Jazz fairly a large premium hatch.

Last edited by GullwingGT : 18th July 2014 at 09:02.
GullwingGT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks