Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2005, 14:35   #1
BHPian

Planning to Buy a New Car

Hi Guys,

I just joined the forum about a week ago, I found this forum very interesting, to know the different opinions and views about cars etc.
By the way I have a M800 (1995) which I bought in 2003 second hand. Now I want to go for an upgrade.

My usage of the car is not that much, since I work offshore, the car remains in the garage for every alternative month, and even when I am in Bombay, I take the car around maximum 25 - 50 kms a week. So keeping in mind my limited usage, Initially, I had shortlisted two cars, New Honda City, Ford Fusion and the Hyundai Getz. After a lot of deliberations, I ruled out NHC and FF. I think for a city like Bombay the GETZ would be just fine.

Actually, I was all set to buy the GETZ, but I have been told that GETZ might come with a EURO III version, So I postponed my decision to buy it after 1st. of April 2005.

So guys, Please give me your opinion about this to help me make my case whether I should go ahead and buy the GETZ or is there something better than that in that particular category.
Secondly, Is there any news about when Hyundai is going to launch the EURO III version of GETZ and what is the actual mileage in city conditions for GETZ
Old 5th March 2005, 14:59   #2
BANNED

Hey Irwin,

The getz is a good car. It has got two car of the year awards. The City would also be a good car but its costlier then the Getz and being a Honda it will be trouble free. If you can wait for Mid April then ou have another good vehicle to choose from that being the Suzuki swift(based on the Concept S)

Cheers.

Maybach
Old 5th March 2005, 15:02   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With such a recent launch, I would think that the Getz is already Euro III ready.

GTO
Old 5th March 2005, 16:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
With such a recent launch, I would think that the Getz is already Euro III ready.

GTO
I asked several Hyundai dealers, and also the Hyundai World showroom in town and they told me that it is not yet EUROIII compliant, and they plan to launch the EUROIII model in April 05. Even I am surprised that being a recent launch it should have been EUROIII, if it was, then they would have made it a point to advertise it accordingly and very aggresively.
Well, like all the car manufacturers (foreign) in India, they treat INDIA in an indifferent manner and try to push cars that were launched elsewhere a year or two years ago.
I guess Suzuki SWIFT is an exception. And things are changing pretty fast now, however not as fast as we would like them to be.
Old 5th March 2005, 18:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybach
Hey Irwin,

The getz is a good car. It has got two car of the year awards. The City would also be a good car but its costlier then the Getz and being a Honda it will be trouble free. If you can wait for Mid April then ou have another good vehicle to choose from that being the Suzuki swift(based on the Concept S)

Cheers.

Maybach
Hi Maybach!

Thanks for yr comments, I quite agree that Honda City is a good car, Initially, I was more inclined towards buying a Honda City, I had gathered all the information quotes etc for the accessories regarding the NHC, but later I felt that since my usage is not that much, it would be quite a waste. (Budget is not a problem) and as the things are going, in the next 3 - 5 years there will be a lot of new cars launched in India. For the moment though I think a car like GETZ would serve the purpose (unless someone convinces me otherwise) then at a later stage we will have a wider choice than what we have now. For the moment however, I still cannot figure out any other car that can match the features and fresh looks of GETZ, even though GETZ has its own negative points, so far unsure about the mileage and the Aircon.

I hope the SWIFT will be launched in INDIA as they would in any other country with most of the features offered as standard, if not as options. I am very disappointed with these companies in INDIA in regards to their products being offered. I work in Indonesia, and I find that here most of the features of any particular car are offered as standard. whereas in INDIA they are offered as options and in some cases totally absent. Somehow, I feel we in INDIA dont get the same deal as others. We pay more and get less!!
Old 5th March 2005, 22:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Well from what you want, the Getz oes seem a convincing buy but i have heard that its ride and handling is not one of the best around.
Another option would be the palio so you can check that out too.
Waiting for the Swift would be a good idea but don't expect too much as the quality may be like that of esteems and balenos.
Old 5th March 2005, 22:20   #7
BANNED

Irwin your most welcome.

Is Fuel Efficency your concern or not??

Since budget is not your problem and if you let your heart rule then go for a RS. But i guess its better to let the head rule.

I totally agree with the features point of view in India. Indian cars dont get all the features they ar juss stripped versions of their western counterparts.

Did you Test Drive the Getz. How did you find it?
Old 6th March 2005, 12:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Irwin your most welcome.

Is Fuel Efficency your concern or not??

Since budget is not your problem and if you let your heart rule then go for a RS. But i guess its better to let the head rule.

I totally agree with the features point of view in India. Indian cars dont get all the features they ar juss stripped versions of their western counterparts.

Did you Test Drive the Getz. How did you find it?
Well, Fuel efficiency is one of the main factor I am concerned about, and secondly the Aircon. I wonder how the AC will be performing in the summer months, I remember reading on this forum about the AC on GETZ, that it is not so good. However recently, on the day I test drove the car I felt that the AC was quite good. Regarding the other aspects, such as interiors; I quite did not like the two different color schemes for the upholstery, Grey fabrics for seats and doors, the ceiling and the A pillar corners are beige, which somehow doesnt blend. Its a real dilemma, as to which color leather seats to select Black or Beige, Unlike in NHC the EXI is Grey overall and the GXI comes in beige uplholstery.

Since, I did not go for a long test drive, I guess my test drive experience was not that extensive. However, I felt it was a little bit bumpy, not very peppy, especially off the block. I guess the pickup part of it perhaps have to be overlooked, keeping in mind that the car has to be fuel efficient as well. as most of us tend to look at that aspect as the first criterion, since the gas is getting expensive by the day.

The Hyundai Dealers are offering some good deals, it started as NO DEALS, and as I was in the process of deciding I was getting several offers, Cash Discount upto 10,000, Insurance Free and a few accessories. So eventually I had to tell them that I was waiting for a EUROIII version. So far Modi Hyundai seems to be giving the best offers.
I plan to buy GETZ GLS/ABS which comes with alloys. What do you think about the Parking Sensors, is it a good idea to have them, I guess they are not that expensive, should be within 3000 Rs.
Old 6th March 2005, 12:50   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin
I plan to buy GETZ GLS/ABS which comes with alloys. What do you think about the Parking Sensors, is it a good idea to have them, I guess they are not that expensive, should be within 3000 Rs.
Do you mind a diesel vehicle. You can get a Marina for the same price which is bigger anyday. Parking sensors are good and will help you in parking.
Do take a long test drive of the Getz and try out the Marina.
Cheers.
Old 6th March 2005, 13:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Well from what you want, the Getz oes seem a convincing buy but i have heard that its ride and handling is not one of the best around.
Another option would be the palio so you can check that out too.
Waiting for the Swift would be a good idea but don't expect too much as the quality may be like that of esteems and balenos.
As most of us agree, PALIO is a good car, however the FE I am told is not upto the mark, whats the FE of Palio in City driving? besides as the word is going around, the future of the company seems quite uncertain, their After Sales Service is also I am told is not upto the mark, going by the posts on this forum and also elsewhere. I cannot understand why, given the fact that they had the FIAT India operations going on for so many years (their association with PAL) looks like it was difficult for people in FIAT/PAL to shed their attitude when there were only 2 cars to chose from, and that too one had to wait for a long time to get their hands on them.
As you mentioned in your post, Even I am inclined to believe that the Swift would perhaps be not that exciting at all, unless Maruti Suzuki want to pull out a rabbit out of the hat and surprise us all, as Toyota did it with Innova!!
Old 6th March 2005, 13:15   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin
Even I am inclined to believe that the Swift would perhaps be not that exciting at all, unless Maruti Suzuki want to pull out a rabbit out of the hat and surprise us all, as Toyota did it with Innova!!
Well Suzuki sure gonna pull the rabbit out of the hat and surprise us. The swift is believed to be the most wanted car in India here and believe me it will live upto it IMO.
Old 6th March 2005, 16:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Suzuki sure gonna pull the rabbit out of the hat and surprise us. The swift is believed to be the most wanted car in India here and believe me it will live upto it IMO.
How can you say that with complete surety? I think maruti are going to mess up...

The swift can be the most wanted car in India if and only if its priced right...no amount of features can save it if the price is not right...maruti is a budget brand and nobody would pay a premium for it. But then this is just my opinion.

And yes the Getz is not a bad buy....and it seems to fit your requirements perfectly Irwin...you can wait if you want to for the swift...but somehow i still think you will end up buying the getz.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 6th March 2005 at 16:13.
Old 6th March 2005, 16:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
I think maruti are going to mess up...

The swift can be the most wanted car in India if and only if its priced right...no amount of features can save it if the price is not right...maruti is a budget brand and nobody would pay a premium for it. But then this is just my opinion.
i have the same feeling too......

the interiors will be the first thing to get short charged ....the rims and tyres too ..not to mention the detuned engine for FE......

like drifty says - mul is a budget brand and no one would pay a premium example the baleno and the grand vitara.

but with the swift being a looker ( i love the looks) .. i guess people here mite just take to it like a fish takes to water !

but i guess Irwin - if u have almost decided on the getz all i can say is GO GET IT ! its not a bad car .

cheers

Last edited by normally_crazy : 6th March 2005 at 16:37.
Old 6th March 2005, 18:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Do you mind a diesel vehicle. You can get a Marina for the same price which is bigger anyday. Parking sensors are good and will help you in parking.
Do take a long test drive of the Getz and try out the Marina.
Cheers.
Hi Maybach,

Isn't the Marina almost same as Indica and Indigo, I like the concept of Marina, however the workmanship and quality of any Telco products especially passenger cars is not upto the mark, as compared to any other car manufacturers. One look under the hood, and you know what I mean, Maruti on the other hand are miles better than Telco in quality and refinement in workmanship.

Yes, off course I will take a long test drive on GETZ before I hand them over my cheque, However it looks more likely that I may seal the deal by end of April, once I have had a good look at SWIFT.

If my usage warranted, I would have definitely gone for INNOVA, I have seen the INNOVA (New Kijang) at close quarters in Indonesia which was launched here almost 6 months ago. Its a damn good CAR/IMV whatever you can call it. I have driven the previous version of Toyota Kijang Super, Kijang Krista, which were the successors of Toyota Old Kijang (Our Qualis) which was phased out here in Indonesia way back in 1997. The Kijang Super & Krista both are really good vehicles, spacious, smooth to drive, good handling and looks to match (unlike our Qualis in INDIA) There are several cars that are available here in Indonesia, which I would have otherwise bought them if they were available in INDIA, one of them is Suzuki ESCUDO, and another one is DAIHATSU Taruna to name a few, superb cars!!! I wonder when would we get to see cars like these?
Old 6th March 2005, 18:04   #15
BANNED

The interiors of the swift look quite nice(talking about the foreign one) Also this is the first launch by suzuki and not maruti so i expect it to be real nice rest only time will tell. Cheers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks