Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 01:49   #1
BHPian

Swift VDI Question from an owner of Swift LXI

I have been driving the Swift LXI since the last 2.5 years.

Since dad now likes to drive that car instead of the old Alto we have and I needed a new car, I am getting myself the Swift VDI.

Another swift? don't ask. I just love the car and it is somewhat in my budget.

I don't want to go for a sedan as I hate the idea of re-learning reversing the car without banging it from behind in tight parkings in delhi ncr region.

I searched through the forum but failed to find answers for my questions.

I saw the expense comparison charge between the petrol and diesel version.

Still a bit confused.

I have driven the petrol version for around 50K in the 2.5 year period.

Some of my questions.

I am getting the non ABS version right now. ABS version might arrive in a couple of days.

Which one should I buy. I can stretch the budget for the ABS version if that is a value for money thing.

If the non ABS version is a good buy I can go pick it up tomm. I am paying full amount. So no finance or interest issues.

What should I change in my driving style for the diesel version considering it would be a first in the family... I mean, diesel engines... I read on the forum that i should idle the vehicle for a minute or two (!!) before i turn off the engine. Is this really required?

Is it worth going for the diesel if my average usage comes to around 45-50KM per day? I did check the charts posted before and it seems like it is not unless I keep the diesel for at least 5-7 years!

I just hate the idea of paying 55 rupees per liter of petrol which just gives me around 11-13KM on my petrol swift!

I hope I can get some straight forward answers.

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2008 at 16:21. Reason: Removing comment on request
Old 10th October 2008, 09:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you run about 20000 km a year (As you have done so earlier) the payback period is about 18 months. please see the following post -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...vs-diesel.html

What the above post doesn't consider is the resale value of Diesel car will be much more than petrol version. hence if you use a diesel car for more than 50000 km the car would have given you better returns than a petrol version of the same car.

On your ABS question - If you are driving frequently on highways and going more than 80 kmph regularly please go in for ABS. It gives a good assured braking on roads which have limited grip or when it rains. It will minimize wheel locking to a great extent. when I bought by Swift VDI, Maruti was not booking ABS cars hence didn't have a option.
Old 10th October 2008, 10:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

With the kind of miles you cover, diesel does make sense.

Also, are you absolutely sure that you will get the ABS version pakka se ? There are people on the forum who are struggling to get the VDI ABS, even with jugaad contacts. If yes, then I would suggest waiting for ABS. It is a safety feature and even if it saves one accident, the cost will be more than recovered.
What color btw ?
Old 10th October 2008, 10:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

ABS: If you are looking for safety, opt for ABS version. ABS would help steer the vehicle correctly in case of sudden braking (city/highway). It will not necessarily help to reduce braking distance as it depends on road conditions.
Old 10th October 2008, 10:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

I know some turbodiesels come with a sticker which says idle for a minute before shutting down ( i know mine does) , But I've not seen it on the swift Diesels ( I've got a friend who has a swift VDi and a Dzire LDi. I couldnt find the sticker on either. Maybe its there in the user manual....
Old 10th October 2008, 11:10   #6
BHPian

oh thanks guys. i am now a bit more comfortable with my upcoming purchase.

about the abs model. yeah. it's a bit tough to get. but i can certainly wait. the non-abs version is available at the moment. but i think i can wait a couple of days more for the abs model. i really have some good connections with the dealer in town.
Old 27th October 2008, 05:06   #7
BHPian

got my swift vdi abs today. and i love it. turned out to be much more expensive than i had expected but it's pretty cool.

drove it around for around 100KM today and it was a fun experience.

still getting used to the gear-clutch usage difference when compared to the petrol version. but i think i am going to have fun once i complete 1000-2000 KM in it and it's ready to be revved up.

thanks guys. love you for all the help.
Old 30th October 2008, 03:08   #8
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushubh View Post
got my swift vdi abs today. and i love it. turned out to be much more expensive than i had expected but it's pretty cool.
Congrats on your second swift

How did it turn out to be more expensive than you expected?
Old 30th October 2008, 03:12   #9
BHPian

well i started with the idea of buying the non-abs model. then got the abs one. also ordered a stereo system. also ordered the anti-rust and other coatings they provide. overall deal turned the budget upside down.

but i love the end experience
Old 30th October 2008, 10:20   #10
BHPian

Congratulations.
And to add to your new-found joy, here's some math for you.

(A) At Rs.55/ltr for regular petrol and an average of 12kpl, your petrol Swift would cost you Rs.4.60 per km just in terms of fuel.
(B) At Rs.38/ltr for regular diesel and an average of 16kpl, your diesel Swift now costs you Rs.2.33 per km.

Given that you're doing 1600km a month, you're saving Rs.3700 per month in fuel costs alone.

Who says math isn't fun!!
Old 30th October 2008, 18:37   #11
BHPian

totally. i love it already.

btw. first scratch on the car today. i hate that bike rider in delhi who just could not apply brakes on time and hit my car from behind. it was a pretty frustrating experience. i am not sure if i am the only one who goes through these sucky emotions.
Old 30th October 2008, 19:07   #12
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i hate that bike rider in delhi who just could not apply brakes on time ...
You talk as if there's just one of them.
Old 30th October 2008, 20:32   #13
rippergeo

Idling before and after the drive is good practice. that goes for all Turbos, irrespective of whether there is a sticker asking us to do so, or not.

it is critical especially after highway runs where the turbo is spinning at peak rpm(engine rpm 2000 and above) and needs to be cooled down when we stop.

Old 30th October 2008, 22:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Congratulations.
And to add to your new-found joy, here's some math for you.

(A) At Rs.55/ltr for regular petrol and an average of 12kpl, your petrol Swift would cost you Rs.4.60 per km just in terms of fuel.
(B) At Rs.38/ltr for regular diesel and an average of 16kpl, your diesel Swift now costs you Rs.2.33 per km.

Given that you're doing 1600km a month, you're saving Rs.3700 per month in fuel costs alone.

Who says math isn't fun!!

What about the Xtra money (around Rs.1Lakh) he has paid for a diesel variant (not including the extra cost paid for the ABS version). That would change the math completely.
Old 2nd November 2008, 18:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:

drove it around for around 100KM today and it was a fun experience.

still getting used to the gear-clutch usage difference when compared to the petrol version. but i think i am going to have fun once i complete 1000-2000 KM in it and it's ready to be revved up.

thanks guys. love you for all the help.
Hi Shushubh. Congrats on the new car....

i m planning to go for a vdi with abs too...
i m also from Gurgaon... the dealer here has said 6 months waiting... can u tell me which dealer to contact to get it sooner...

thanks man!cheers:

Last edited by Machine freak : 2nd November 2008 at 18:24. Reason: spelling mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks