Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 19:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
If you are considering the diesel the swift would be the best buy as of now.
Have a friend who owns the VDi. Heard nothing but excellent reviews....
Old 17th October 2008, 00:36   #17
BHPian

Friend,
I would Strictly suggest you going for Getz 1.3, You shouldnt bother about a car being discontinued, as it doesnt matter to you seeing the time you use car for. You are going to keep it for really really long time, Secondly It fulfills all your purpose, It will take all the abuses that you give her. Moreover its a very comfortable car. TD it you'll know. Getz is anyday better than I10, Aveo, Palio. You shouldnt look at cost much when you are planning to buy a car for such a long time. So even if you shell out a little more invest in something good.

Palio would need lot of attention with age. I know that from a friends exp. I have i10 but not planning to keep it for that long thats why didnt buy getz coz its going to be phased out soon. Otherwise getz is my first choice anyday its a perfect car.

Swift is pretty cramped up from inside.
Old 17th October 2008, 01:26   #18
BHPian

Grande Punto is said to come next month end with Linea and also the i20 wait for what is in store rather than settle for what you have in hand.
Old 17th October 2008, 01:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Grande Punto is said to come next month end with Linea and also the i20 wait for what is in store rather than settle for what you have in hand.
Hehe..
Fiat Punto.. and Linea. Dont even talk about those. They aint gonna launch that in India in near future. see threads in Teambhp already that has hell lot of discussion.
Old 17th October 2008, 03:03   #20
BHPian

Well i went for an interview yesterday ,for the post of sales man for Linea , The Sales manager "SAYS" that it will be launched next month , but was asking me what kind of an promotional approach should be made for the Linea. . Just too much for me.
Old 17th October 2008, 09:42   #21
BHPian

if your dad hadnt hated automatics so much, i10 Automatic would have been a no brainer. its perfect for the requirements you mentioned.

Why dont you try the Santro? its proven, reliable and available with lots of offers these days. its also elderly-friendly and comfortable to drive in traffic.

It doesnt look like it would be discontinued in the near future. more over since you plan to keep the car for max 10 years, continuity of the model and resale value should NOT be your concern. i dont think any models would last beyond 5 years in the coming days.

but if u agree with me it would add to the confusion by bringing back Getz WagonR and Palio in your shortlist
Old 17th October 2008, 10:36   #22
BHPian

Praful,

Based on your requirements, I'd recommend either the i10 or the Swift petrol.
A total running is only going to be 6000-7000 km a year doesn't justify the premium you'd pay for any of the diesel hatchbacks.

There are a lot of options in this segment, but based on a price-performance score, the i10 and the Swift come out on top. You could consider all versions of the Getz, the Indica, the Santro, and Palio, but for your requirements the Swift and the i10 still come out on top.

About the i10... with no disrespect to i10 users on this forum, I didn't like the car at all. When we took one for a TD, both my mom and I found it extremely uncomfortable. It was so bouncy that at one point my mom started feeling nauseous. Yes, the interiors are pleasant and it's easy to drive and park and its pretty fuel efficient too, but that didn't compensate for the fact that it's underpowered and uncomfortable when compared to say, a Swift or a Getz petrol, or even an Indica.
What sealed the fate of the i10 for me was it's only marginally cheaper than a Swift. That makes choosing a Swift a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Since a lot of people have offered you advice, what I would recommend is this:

1. Shortlist cars based on your budget and functional requirements.
2. Eliminate the 'bad' cars from the list by doing some research (like by researching the TBHP forum for reviews and advice)
3. Once you've got your final shortlist, test drive them all. Pick the one you think you can live with for 10 years since thats how long you want to keep the car.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Old 17th October 2008, 11:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Praful,

With the serious price cuts by Fiat on the Palio all models, I would really suggest to go for that. Since it has rock solid build and apart from that 1.1L is not really a underpowered car.
Hey ya another thing, 1.6 can also be bought in, who knows sometimes you may end up driving too? Atleast the engine you would get for that 4.5lac onroad (1.6L) would be a real bomb I say.
Comparing just with power/torque/weight:-
  • i10 Kappa - 80/112/860 (ps/Nm/kg)
  • Stile 1.1 - 57/92/990 (ps/Nm/kg)
Am I missing something? Or do these numbers really not make much of a difference on the road??
But 1.6 is out of the question... I would love to have it, but not for dad!

Yes, the Palio has build quality and comfort (I am guessing!) working in its favour! Somehow the poor a.s.s. reviews that I'm getting from TBhp itself is putting me off the Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Friend,
I would Strictly suggest you going for Getz 1.3, So even if you shell out a little more invest in something good.

Palio would need lot of attention with age. I know that from a friends exp. I have i10 but not planning to keep it for that long thats why didnt buy getz coz its going to be phased out soon. Otherwise getz is my first choice anyday its a perfect car.

Swift is pretty cramped up from inside.
The very reason why Getz is not on top of my list is coz that its already at the brink of being phased out. 5-6 years down the line parts/service just might be an issue.

Thanks for the inputs about the Swift and Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Why dont you try the Santro? its proven, reliable and available with lots of offers these days. its also elderly-friendly and comfortable to drive in traffic.

but if u agree with me it would add to the confusion by bringing back Getz WagonR and Palio in your shortlist
Santro, well ummm.. its was more of non-practical decision, as the i10 seemed to be better buy compared to the Santro despite the obvious 1.5L price diff. No doubt and able car, but somehow it doesn't work for us, no specific reasons why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Praful,

Based on your requirements, I'd recommend either the i10 or the Swift petrol.
A total running is only going to be 6000-7000 km a year doesn't justify the premium you'd pay for any of the diesel hatchbacks.

About the i10... with no disrespect to i10 users on this forum, I didn't like the car at all. When we took one for a TD, both my mom and I found it extremely uncomfortable. It was so bouncy that at one point my mom started feeling nauseous. Yes, the interiors are pleasant and it's easy to drive and park and its pretty fuel efficient too, but that didn't compensate for the fact that it's underpowered and uncomfortable when compared to say, a Swift or a Getz petrol, or even an Indica.
What sealed the fate of the i10 for me was it's only marginally cheaper than a Swift. That makes choosing a Swift a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.
Will keep the bouncy ride in mind, the HMP Hyundai guys called I think they are sending over the i10 for a TD today. Will tell parents to give a check to ride comfort, esp. rear seat!
Old 17th October 2008, 12:32   #24
BHPian

Negotiate Additional discount

" We plan on getting a car by December so would not want delay purchase decision just for i20."

Since you are looking at keeping the car for an extended period I guess resale value will not be a cause of concern, but as you are looking at buying the car at the end of the calender year please try and negotiate a higher discount as technically speaking you will be buying a one year old model.

I have used this to my benefit a couple of times. e.g. save an additional 40K on an Innova V (over and above the standard discounts) by buying it around 20th dec.
Old 17th October 2008, 13:10   #25
BHPian

Hey Praful,

My two cents:
If you are thinking about the 1.1 Stile, then you should also think about the 1.6 Sports. The power is more, no doubt, but it comes into play only if you want it. Considering that your Dad will be driving in city, sedate driving of both these cars will be the same.
Also, the Value for Money with repsect to a Palio is quite good.
The after sales service has improved quite a lot and the parts are also available. So there should not be much of a problem.
The point is that FIAT obviously cannot complare to Hyundai and Maruti sales service, but the cost effectiveness of buying the Palio overshadows that a little bit.
Moreover, in Bangalore, FIAT has good service.
Lastly, Palio is a very safe car unless your driving at breakneck speed (no ABS), which I'm sure your Dad will not be. The car is built to last!

In the end,however, the ultimate decision should be made on the driving comfort of the person going to drive the car.

All the best and do keep us updated.
Old 17th October 2008, 13:31   #26
BHPian

I would suggest that you wait a bit - few good offerings are already around the corner. Maruti A star or i20 would be my choices if I were considerings. Maruti may have another surprise in next 6 months or so.
Old 17th October 2008, 14:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
I would suggest that you wait a bit - few good offerings are already around the corner. Maruti A star or i20 would be my choices if I were considerings. Maruti may have another surprise in next 6 months or so.
Yes initially I was pretty excited on hearing about the A-Star/Splash. And would most prolly have gone for one of those without a thought. But waiting till March'09 is too long a time!
Old 17th October 2008, 15:20   #28
BHPian

I think A Start will be available in a month or so.
Old 17th October 2008, 15:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

i just submit two things:
a. i10 (take engine based on junta prefs)
b. Swift.

The rest will NEVER be as widespread as the A.S.S your family would want when they're used to. These two cars have sold like mad and are OK in the product lifecycle and will stay. i10 1.1 is good also because its mostly the same engine.

alsosince you plan on eons of ownership, buy in dec, offers, saving on 08 model and you will save depreciation MASSIVELY over the 20 year ownership

Last edited by phamilyman : 17th October 2008 at 15:34.
Old 17th October 2008, 15:50   #30
BHPian

Prices of palio has been greatly reduced, do not think of getting any other car, get a palio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks