Team-BHP - Help Required Indica Vista Safire or Indica Vista TDI
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Help Required Indica Vista Safire or Indica Vista TDI (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/51283-help-required-indica-vista-safire-indica-vista-tdi.html)

Hello All,

This is my first ever Post on the Forum
Planning to buy our first car for the family
Given My Space (5 people comfort) and Budget (4.5 Lacs max OTR) requirements have zeroed in on the Indica Vista but unable to decide on the Safire or TDI stupid:.

My other requirements/Constraints are as under.
1) Monthly usage around 400 Km
2) I will be the only one driving the car.
3) Usage 75% within city rest occasional Highway trips.
4) May not use vehicle everyday but will be mostly using over weekends.

Test Drove the Safire and found the Engine quite refined however am unsure about its pulling power.

TDI seems attractive given its better torque figures but am unsure about refinement of the engine as its a TATA engine unlike the smoother Fiat Petrol. Havent TD the TDI version yet.

Also Given My intermittetent usage I was told By Sales Person at Tata that Diesel may not be Suitable option??

Can any one especially exisiting Safire/TDI owners please guide me as regards expected Total Cost of ownership and whether power is adequate or not considering my usage requirements.

Many Thanks.

I haven't yet test driven both these cars, so no comments on their performance side. If you closely look at your running per month, I would say a petrol is the best bet. Keep in mind that the TDI diesel would need extra money when it comes to servicing or maintaining the car.

My 2 cents, best is TD both the cars and then decide.

I am not owner of any of Indica Vista Safire or Indica Vista Vista TDI.

But considering you average running, go for petrol version. If you are doing in excess of 1000kms per month, diesel makes sense.
Moreover you are using the car more in city so you wont feel lack of power.
However, from what I have read on net, the petrol is slightly weaker as far as performance is concerned. For city driving, its more than sufficient ( if we consider the current traffic condition, anything is sufficient ), but for highway, it falls on slightly weaker side specially when compared with Swift.

Go for a TD of both the cars and then decide.

Have you considered a Palio 1.6 at those running? You get a god-awesome car, and mileage shouldn't burn much of a hole at that usage! Under current warranty, you are well protected!

I'am not sure whether you are open for checking other models. For usage of 400 kms/month, petrol vehicle makes more sense. Do the TD of other models also and then decide on which model.

For your use, the best bet of the two would be the Safire - Although it lacks zippiness and wouldnt be the best bet for highway runs, Its got all the comfort and space you need and is also a pretty good performer in city roads.

Thank You for your responses.

Now The Petrol seems more appealing and suited for my purpose.
However will TD both and take a call.

Yes the Palio 1.6 is also on my radar but my usage is such that the extra power may not be put to good use (driving in Pune city) and dont find much sense in paying extra premium.

Just got news that TATA may be introducing a limited 10 anniversary edition (of Indica) for the Vista. Will check out specs for it as well.

I own a Safire and have drove it for nearly three weeks now. Though as rightly pointed out it lack a zip, the power is more then adequate for an daily city ride. In fact, i did not find it slugish, though i also have not drove any other vehicle for that matter.

Have not found any issue with the performance till date

My vote for the safire.

As of today, none of the Tata's petrol engine are hit in the market. I would suggest for petrol cars, opt for other manufacture.

for your running, Safire is perfect. it is very refined and silent. unlike what it seems on paper it is NOT sluggish in traffic, but at the same time its not a zippy performer. in my TD i found it perfectly tuned for sedate driving in the city in 2nd and third gears. add to that, the unbeatable space.

if you are not a performance enthusiast, this is the car for you. On the highway it would take its time to reach a good speed, but once it reaches there it would go without any hiccups. I expect the FE to be around 13-14 kmpl maximum in city.

If budget permits, go for the top end Aura. the features it provides are not matched by any other hatches in this price range (around 4.3L). if not Aura, the middle trim Aqua (around 4.0L) also a good VFM.

@Pawan: The Xeta range has excellent petrol engines, esp the now discontinued GLX 1.4 but they unfortunately dont sell that well due to the effects of bad public perception.

moreover Safire has Fiat's FIRE engine (and gearbox).

Why not Fiat Palio SLX?

Pune has no issues whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1110461)
Why not Fiat Palio SLX?

Pune has no issues whatsoever.

I am somehow under the impression that the 1.1 and 1.6 may be on their way out ( I may be completely wrong) feel 1.2 is a safer bet as regards spares given that the Grande Punto may also be sporting the 1.2 petrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel (Post 1110221)

moreover Safire has Fiat's FIRE engine (and gearbox).

IIRC, the engine has Variable Valve timings that increases the power from original motor.

I second to Phamilyman!

For your usage, I can suggest 3 cars to TD as per your running and budget:
Vista Safire 1.2 Aura
Palio Stile 1.1 SLX
Palio Stile 1.6 Sports

I was also in the same dilemma as you are in! Since my first choice was a FIAT car, I opted for Palio Stile 1.6 Sports for sheer driving pleasure.

The Palio 1.6 would now come under 4.3-4.5 OTR :eek: With few thousands more, you get a 1.6 engine, 100BHP, tubeless tyres, FIAT alloys, fog lamps, leather steering wheel and gear knob, sporty pedals and everything what a top model gives! plus now they are giving USB featured music system with 2 speakers too..!

Since you are only going to use the car in weekends, a high performance engine wouldn't hurt you infact you would enjoy the thrill it gives when you take it on highways!

Since you are in Pune, you wont have much issues with TATA-FIAT service also!

Note: Palio 1.1 and 1.6 will not be phased out until a new Palio is introduced. GP would be a premium hatchbatch while Palio 1.1 will be the entry level. This has been conveyed by FIAT in the recent Palio users meet at Pune!

Remember, Palio Stile 1.6 sports is a lone 1600cc, 100BHP car in a hatchback segment under this price!

I strongly suggest you to test Drive the 3 cars and choose the one which makes you happy!

Cheers~

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudrah (Post 1110606)
Note: Palio 1.1 and 1.6 will not be phased out until a new Palio is introduced. GP would be a premium hatchbatch while Palio 1.1 will be the entry level. This has been conveyed by FIAT in the recent Palio users meet at Pune!

Remember, Palio Stile 1.6 sports is a lone 1600cc, 100BHP car in a hatchback segment under this price!

I strongly suggest you to test Drive the 3 cars and choose the one which makes you happy!

Cheers~

Thank you for your inputs. I personally prefer the Palio when it comes to looks. I feel its the only head turner hatch currently available. But am still skeptical about the A.S.S.

Did the Fiat folks commit on a time frame for availability of spares for current 1.1 or 1.6 palio at the meet?

Am planning to test drive all the three and also the TDI vista hopefully will be able to come to a conclusion after that.