Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2009, 12:26   #1
BHPian

2.5 years of 60% unhappiness with SWIFT

Swift is my first car which I got in Aug 06 but I am seriously thinking of selling it now. Top 4 Reasons ?

1. As all of the world knows, it rattles badly. Numerous trips to service station and they manage to fix it temporarily. After 2-3 days it is back to normal.

2. Power steering not good enough and lack 'feeling'. I am sure I would have loved hydraulic power assist.

3. Suspension noise ...seems so much hard and noisy

4. My swift has a 'mood'. Suddenly she will be so silent and refined on a particular day and will continue to be so for a couple of days. But again it gets back to normal 'sound' machine..

The reason why I kept her till now ?

1. Fuel economy, road hugging, style

I am kind of person who likes absolutely silent car. So I am going for FIAT which I believe build strong cars (I know a 10 year old UNO cruising like a butter). Linea I might try...
Old 26th January 2009, 12:57   #2
BHPian

I have a 3.5 Year Swift Vxi and I am pretty happy with it. It still runs sweet! Looks like Linea is prompting you to highlight the unhappiness with Swift . However, good choice! Good Luck!
Old 26th January 2009, 12:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

These are all known BUGs in Swift and most of new Models in Maruti.

Maruti failed again and again to deliver quality/practical cars. They do big marketing to capture more buyers but people who still need economy cars should consider Maruti and If trouble free luxury safe car is priority then one should not choose Swift (Maruti cars).

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th January 2009, 14:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hope you had rearched a little more before plunging into buying this. The problem is MSIL is taking people for granted with their unfit or halffit vehicles and people are also believing them just because of their A** and cheaper spare parts which is better than their counterparts.

Fiat has their own problems. Though the cars do not have problems, their dealerships might have. You also have to live with high cost of spares (for few parts) compared to MSIL. We have read many threads here in this forum which informs us about the dealerships of fiat.

In short, all vehicle/dealerships have some +ves and -ves. You have to cope with these things.

Linea is sure a good vehicle in all respects. But be doubly sure of the dealership's A** and then take the plunge.
Old 26th January 2009, 14:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Abhay- Agree with you on most drawbacks on Swift. I too own a Swift and aint too happy with its suspension. As snaronikar mentioned its better if u have researched before zeroing on Linea. If you looking at petrol :Fiesta S , Honda city . Diesel : Verna and Linea and Fiesta TDCI . If you want a petrol sedan i would recommend you the Fiesta s !! Brilliant VFM!!!
Old 26th January 2009, 15:57   #6
BHPian

I had My first car as petrol Swift LXI, sold long time ago, now i have Hyundai i10...Good mileage, .....I sold it for the reason No 1....and for bad mileage.
Old 26th January 2009, 16:15   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
In short, all vehicle/dealerships have some +ves and -ves. You have to cope with these things.

Linea is sure a good vehicle in all respects. But be doubly sure of the dealership's A** and then take the plunge.
In other words, when it comes to Fiat (and Tata, if I may add - and some other brands too - to be fair), you need to do some additional research on the quality of service available in your locality. Being in Pune, A/S/S for Fiat is not likely to be problem for you. In case of doubt, you should ask the P.U. G too.
Old 26th January 2009, 16:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

I do agree with you Abhay on the points you mentioned. Rattling is a big prob for me if not for many people.
But then i don't find any hatchback so much fun to drive as swift.
And i really doubt if you would like Linea's drive after being a swift owner (assuming you haven't td Linea yet).

I'll suggest wait a couple of months and see how GP is before deciding.

Last edited by harry10 : 26th January 2009 at 16:27.
Old 26th January 2009, 20:48   #9
BANNED

2.5 years! If I was so unhappy with a car and was able to afford buying another car, then I should've sold it long ago.
Now that you've realised that it's no longer suitable for you, better sell it as soon as possible. Cars tend to depreciate day by day.

Wish you all the best with FiAT.
Old 26th January 2009, 21:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

After two years with my Swift diesel, I am mostly happy.

The performance is not what it was, but I am hoping that a new air filter at the next service may help that. The engine is just as quiet as it was.

The seats are just as uncomfortable as they were: can't manufacturers understand that the lower back needs support? They don't need to spend more money on the seat, just design it for human-shaped people!

What really worries me is its longevity. The tailgate hinges are rusting, the windscreen wipers are rusting. I haven't seen like this since British cars in the 1950s!

I don't have such worries about the engine, but will the car fall apart?
Old 26th January 2009, 22:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

The car rattles on so many different dimensions, it'd put most physicists to shame. I think I can now hear rattles before they actually occur.

My uncle's Indica V2 GLS Xeta at 6000 kms is much quieter than my Swift was at a 1000 kms. And the trashy ride is starting to get on my nerves. If it wasn't for the slowdown, 3 years would have been a good time to sell this car.
Old 26th January 2009, 22:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
After two years with my Swift diesel, I am mostly happy.

I don't have such worries about the engine, but will the car fall apart?
IMO, these are common problems in the any of the producs released by these manufacturers. They have compromised on the quality of parts for the cost. I still feel that the car will not fall apart but it will have some problems like above and you need to get it rectified during your next visit to workshop.
Old 26th January 2009, 22:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

All the problems regarding the Swift that you have mentioned are known and the car is famous for Rattling. Another drawback is the poor FE ( Petrol ). I know too many people who hate the FE it gives.

Other than that it is a cute little car and a very good car overall this side of 5 lacs.

On the other issue - LINEA. Now that is a good car as of right now. Have not heard anyone complaining about it. Wait for a few weeks before making a decision, follow the threads here on Linea Ownerships. I am sure it will help you.

BTW you buying a Diesel / Petrol Linea ? I asusme Diesel.
Old 26th January 2009, 23:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Another drawback is the poor FE ( Petrol ). I know too many people who hate the FE it gives.
I have had an overall FE of 13 kmpl, since the time I bought the car. This has had a complete mix of all types of driving cycles. I would say that's quite a reasonable FE figure.
Old 26th January 2009, 23:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
I have had an overall FE of 13 kmpl, since the time I bought the car. This has had a complete mix of all types of driving cycles. I would say that's quite a reasonable FE figure.
Yes that certainly is a good FE figure. But many peole do not come close to that, In fact they crawl around the 8 - 9 kpl mark.

I am not a Swift owner so maybe I am wrong. I have heard many people complain about the Petrol FE.

The Diesel of course is a different story

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks