Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 15:56   #1
BHPian

Indigo CS or Vista TDI

Hi all. My Dad is to change his car which is a santro xing and I was considering as which of the above mentioned cars should I go for. The daily drive is not more than 30k in stop-go traffic and occasional highway drives. But I guess once you get a diesel car than you tend to drive more. We have never owned a diesel car before and intend to keep it for at least 4-5 years. I was thinking of the i-20 magna but i guess that will not be advisable seeing the reviews. My heart goes out for the CS but prefer freshness in a car. Please help me decide.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:05   #2
BHPian

If you gonna frequently travel as a family, dont go for CS (as space is concern)

Better go for Vista.

If you want a VFM sedan, you can think for a Accent or new IKON (Diesel).
Old 12th February 2009, 11:16   #3
JVH
Senior - BHPian

It's a bit confusing. Daily drive is 30K but just because you might buy a diesel, you are willing to travel more!!!

Anyway, Vista is fresh and a very good improvement over the old Indica.
Vista scores over the Indigo over everything except Boot space. Choice is yours.

Why only Tata? You can have a look at other brands too
Old 12th February 2009, 11:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

CS = tried and tested car, but its a bit old and crude compared to the TDI. Looks a lot fresher after the recent headlamp and grille upgrade. Faster too. decent interior space(more than any car at that price point) and storage space. Buy if you'll be making a lot of trips on the highway with luggage

Vista TDI = newer car, more refined but you'll be doing tata's testing for them.Reliablity may be suspect and you'll face some problems with the car as tata learns to sort them out. Also, the Vista TDI has been known to be a bit slow, despite having the same engine.More passenger space, but less storage. buy for city use
Old 12th February 2009, 11:45   #5
BHPian

Go for Vista my friend. I have gone through same thought process while buying my Vista. Have considered inputs from my friends working in Tata in the process.

Vista is lot more refined platform than Indica V2/ Indigo range platform. You can experience the difference in test drives also. Suspensions are lot more supirior, so is gearshift. I am experiencing both the platforms on daily basis, and I suggest you Vista over CS.

Edit: greenhorn has summed it well for you.

Last edited by Bouncer : 12th February 2009 at 11:49.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:57   #6
BHPian

Thanks Guy's. Will keep your suggestions in mind.
@JVH: Sir, It's just not that I'm willing to travel more if and when I buy a diesel car, but it is the general trend and natural habit of a person to take out the diesel car more often than a petrol one for long drives,outstation trips et all. FYI I have a 1.4 Chevrolet Aveo. Though I'm quite satisfiied with it's performance(Not much of a torque loving guy), It still bites the wallet,especially in these tough times. Still I'm open for any suggestions in this price range-3 to 5 lakh's.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Hi all. My Dad is to change his car which is a santro xing and I was considering as which of the above mentioned cars should I go for. The daily drive is not more than 30k in stop-go traffic and occasional highway drives. But I guess once you get a diesel car than you tend to drive more. We have never owned a diesel car before and intend to keep it for at least 4-5 years. I was thinking of the i-20 magna but i guess that will not be advisable seeing the reviews. My heart goes out for the CS but prefer freshness in a car. Please help me decide.
See the boot always comes in handy even in the city sometimes - a quick drop or pickup from the airport etc - so logically it makes sense for a sedan so first strike for Tata Indigo CS.

But if you do have a sedan in the house already (if) and your dad is gonna do most of the driving in city mostly then Vista it has to be. Vista is leagues (well almost) ahead in terms of refinement, drive etc to the Indica.

Please note that assuming that having a diesel car will make you drive more is silly - ask your dad to take a TD and decide for yourself.

And if its a sedan he wants - go for the Ikon TD. Its a decent value for money and you will get good value for 4-5 years to come. resale value though would be less in comparison to the tata (seniors please comment).

As a drivers car - Ikon beats the Indigo hands down.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

apart from the spare parts and service, another sore point for the ikon is its low seating position, something your dad may not like , especially after being used to a tall boy hatch like the santro. The indica's seating is okay (driver seat not so comfortable), and the vista's is almost SUV like
Old 12th February 2009, 12:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi isldhn
Have you considered the Swift DZire ?
IMO, you will enjoy driving this car a lot more than the Indica/go and also the quality will be much better. On the downside it has a waiting period and the space at the rear isn't as much as the Indica/go. The boot of DZire is well designed and the car is equally well suited for city as well as highway runs.
If its between the TATAs i suggest you go with the Vista with Multijet Engine. In my opinion, its a lot better investment compared to the aging TDi engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
The indica's seating is okay (driver seat not so comfortable), and the vista's is almost SUV like
I agree with that. I almost found it as high as the WagonR.

Last edited by DCEite : 12th February 2009 at 12:23.
Old 13th February 2009, 21:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
If you want a VFM sedan, you can think for a Accent or new IKON (Diesel).
Both IKON and accent are ancient cars. Dont think anybody will get impressed if you tell them you bought an ikon or accent
BTW, I think ikon was the only car with the dull headlamps and taillamps, they didnot even upgrade them to clear lamps . Even maruti 800 has clear lamps. Have they got clear lamps for the ikon during the recent upgrade atleast

Last edited by revhappy : 13th February 2009 at 21:24.
Old 13th February 2009, 22:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

IMO if you can wait a couple of months then Indigo Vista is in the pipleline to get launch soon which maybe a good option as well. Rest everyone has given pros and cons of CS/Vista.
Old 4th May 2009, 20:44   #12

Which one to buy tata indica vist TDI or indigo CS TDI

Hello all,

I had maruthi 800 till date i had to sell it as it was giving me lots of trobles. Now i want to buy a new car and i am confused which one to buy , my budget is 4.5 to 5.0

please help me to buy.
Old 5th May 2009, 05:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

It really depends on this one question:
Do you need the boot?

If not, than the Vista is a better choice as it is a fresh design, with better quality and more space and comfort. Also, shouldn't the Indica Vista QuadraJet be in your budget?
Old 5th May 2009, 11:01   #14

Hello all,

Quadrajet is bit higher on my pocket.
Old 5th May 2009, 13:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

but i think routine maintenence will be less, since the quadrajet takes 3.2L or oil every oil change, while the TDI ( both CS and vista) take about 5.5L. The quadrajet has better mileage as well. If you can stretch, get the vista quadrajet. otherwise, i think the CS TDI is a better option, esp if you want a hatch

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks