Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 12:11   #16

Hi all,

Thanx for your kind answers... I am a driver as my name suggests... Also if I love the getz after my test drive i am going to nurture it and keep for long term.

I had considered swift. But my issue is that swifts are found everywhere on every roads.. I personally dont go much for the looks. i know the Ritz in terms of looks is not very promising. In my test drive i felt that Ritz had some problems in very sharp curves, but it is manageable. Otherwise it is altogether good.

All i am concerned of is the performance. For Getz, i would also like to know about the mileage too because at times, i would like to drive a bit 'mileage tuned'. Also how is Getz in terms of handling for women?

Anyway i am taking the test drive today or tomorrow. Will let you know afterwards... One more thing, How many years should i keep the Getz if you think i should really have benefitted from it????
Old 12th June 2009, 13:41   #17
BHPian

Test drive the Grand Punto 1.4 petrol (90bhp) and the 1.3 diesel cars too when they are launched next week before deciding on a car.

Between the 2, I would go for the Ritz as it is a newer car, uses a common diesel engine & Maruti has better resale value.
Old 12th June 2009, 14:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Diesel is for Tractors (and Taxis)!

be sensible and by a Ritz petrol. dont be fooled by cheaper diesel prices, cause in the longer run you will never be able to recover the premium you pay for a diesel engine over a petrol engine unless you run it as a taxi!

guys dont just buy diesel engine cars cause the diesel is cheaper than petrol!
Old 12th June 2009, 14:28   #19
BHPian

@Parm - Apparently you have not been following the trend world wide which is all in for diesels. Diesels are the future. The though to diesel being for tractors and Taxis is about 2 decades too old.

Not only are diesels more efficient then their petrol counter parts, but diesel engines last longer. Diesel fuel actually burns more efficiently than gasoline, thus having a better fuel economy—about 30% more efficient on average.

If you still want to argue, go and figure out why Honda would invest millions and billions in developing a diesel engine if the 'tractor and taxi' part was true.

Mind you, people world over are buying more diesel cars then before AND this is despite the price of diesel being HIGHER then petrol in almost all the developed nations.

Last edited by Takumi-san : 12th June 2009 at 14:29.
Old 12th June 2009, 14:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

i agree to that takumi san.

honda was one company who hated making a diesel engine, but they have developed one of the best diesel engine there is!

but still i fill up diesel in my tractor and not in my civic!

anyway, the quality of diesel available in india is one of the most adultrated in the world and it gives more pollution than petrol engines in india. ever wondered why the diesel taxis, autorickshaws and buses have been converted to CNG in new delhi?

the new generation small engine cars are very much clean and they pollute less than diesel. A-star, ritz, jazz, i10/i20, punto, polo all with petrol engines are very much refined and leave a very small carbon foot print on the planet.

i hate it when even expensive BMWs with diesel engines give out black smoke on the roads!
Old 12th June 2009, 16:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
ever wondered why the diesel taxis, autorickshaws and buses have been converted to CNG in new delhi?
The older generation diesels - read non-CRDI engines - had a higher particulate matter (minute particles, mostly with a black exhaust output), and hence were converted to CNG in the NCR.

The same does not apply for modern diesels - including Fiat's 1.3 MJD (Used in Palio, Swift, Vista, Punto, Linea) and Hyundai's 1.5 CRDi (Getz & Verna). Ever wondered how come so many red Maruti Swift (LDi & VDi)s blaze around in Delhi, with no "black smoke", inspite of being a oil sipper?

I do not want this thread to turn to another Diesel vs Petrol argument. Please get the fact straight... Peace

Last edited by ph03n!x : 12th June 2009 at 16:02.
Old 12th June 2009, 16:07   #22
BHPian

The reason for that my dear is you dont just drive your family in the tractor, you expect it to take a lot more load. Diesel engines have higher torque than petrol engines. A diesel engine would pull heavy loads easily than a petrol engine. Though the pickup of a petrol engine would be much more than that of a diesel engine, the diesel engine would be steady and carry heavier loads to longer distances.

Quote:
but still i fill up diesel in my tractor and not in my civic!
Thats true for not just New Delhi but also Mumbai and several other cities through out India. Its because of several reasons

1) It helps reduce the import bill - natural gas is produced in India, we dont depend on a foreign nation.

2) The diesel engines were not well maintained and obviously had a much higher emission level then CNG engine. Even a well maintained engine (petrol or diesel) would be hard put to debate with a CNG engine. Since these vehicles are not performance based, it didnt matter this way either.

3) It made much more cost efficient sense for the drivers themselves who could now save on whopping fuel bills but still charge us based on those fuel bills.

4) It was the drivers themselves who adulterated the diesel with kerosene so as to make it cheaper per kilometer. Now its impossible to mix CNG with something (if it is, they havent found yet) so that was another reason to force them. This has also brought down particulate pollution.

Quote:
ever wondered why the diesel taxis, autorickshaws and buses have been converted to CNG in new delhi?
Diesel engines produce more greenhouse emissions, which is true, emissions with diesel are about 15% higher than those of traditional unleaded gas due to higher volumetric energy density. However, the increased fuel efficiency more than offsets the higher percentage, so in the long run, diesels produce less emissions— 15% more per gallon used, but a trip in the good ole family car will use 30% less fuel to get to wherever you're going.

Quote:
i hate it when even expensive BMWs with diesel engines give out black smoke on the roads!
Finally when you argue that the quality of diesel is not as good as petrol in 'this country' ; how is it that Mercs, BMWs and Skodas are running fine without any problems? The same companies are selling diesel that sell petrol. They would be stupid to simply adulterate diesel and not petrol - why would they be biased? Also, premium brands of diesel are also available. Please refer to threads of adulterated petrol, theiving pumps which need to be avoided. Go to a genuine pump and be assured of the quality of fuel - petrol or diesel.

Parts of Answer sourced from - Diesel vs. Unleaded: The Truth About Fuel Economy - International Business Times

and CNG Engine and Diesel Engine Conversion

I also think this is going off-topic now. But please drive a diesel car, before suggesting that all diesels are tractors or taxis. The advent of CRDi put an end to that.

@Phoenix : I like both the cars. Getz is lovely and certainly isnt a common car. I also liked the Ritz unique shape. Just TD both , if you are cost conscious then its obviously the Ritz. If its just fun and love to drive then Getz. Thats not to say that the Ritz isnt fun enough , but the Getz scores much higher in this department.

Last edited by Takumi-san : 12th June 2009 at 16:11.
Old 13th June 2009, 11:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
@Phoenix : I like both the cars. Getz is lovely and certainly isnt a common car. I also liked the Ritz unique shape. Just TD both , if you are cost conscious then its obviously the Ritz. If its just fun and love to drive then Getz. Thats not to say that the Ritz isnt fun enough , but the Getz scores much higher in this department.
Hi there! I guess that should go to the thread-starter - I am awaiting delivery of a Getz CRDi already
Old 13th June 2009, 13:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

1+ getz crdi. Ritz is a fairly a new car and not tested by time whether it will last or not. Better to go for a safer option.
Old 13th June 2009, 17:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for the Getz CRDi. Its a stonker of an engine engine with the added weight of the Verna, so it will definitely will be a blast on the Getz.

But again if you are concerned about resale, then go for the Ritz.

Both Hyundai and Maruti have good service back-up so don't worry too much on the product.
Old 13th June 2009, 18:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

thanks to indian customers, OEMs are still selling outdated models along with the new models...

Alto family from maruti
getz and i20
santro and i10
accent and verna
pajero and montero

so if people still choose getz of ritz, im not surprised as to why the older cars are still sold to us indians!

i dont blame OEMs for fooling the indian customers by selling older models!

Ritz is not a fairly new car, its been selling outside india as splash and its a proven platform!
Old 13th June 2009, 18:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

rather than planned obsolescence, I'd rather something i buy remains on the market longer. Unlike , say electronics, where a processor or a HU is obsolete in a few years, getz, santro, even the m800 are perfectly usable for transportation, and in some cases, arguably better than some of their newer counterparts

Last edited by greenhorn : 13th June 2009 at 19:01.
Old 13th June 2009, 23:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks to indian customers, OEMs are still selling outdated models along with the new models...

Alto family from maruti
getz and i20
santro and i10
accent and verna
pajero and montero

so if people still choose getz of ritz, im not surprised as to why the older cars are still sold to us indians!

i dont blame OEMs for fooling the indian customers by selling older models!

Ritz is not a fairly new car, its been selling outside india as splash and its a proven platform!
I completely agree- we, for once, have been seeing generations of altos here on one name or other, and have made all of them a success- but, relating to this thread (and my stance on the Getz CRDi, which is the bone of contention), anyone looking for a powerful hatch, with non-claustrophobic interiors, decent build, reliability and service will choose this hatch- especially for the stonker of an engine.

It is well known that the Getz is not a new gen, and may probably be phased out. I am still taking delivery of one in 3 days' time (i hope), because i know for sure there is, and will be, no other hatch that can have such an exhilarating power delivery- not in the near future, at least on the straights, like this one. Any petrol or oil-drinker that is being launched is NOT even miles close to this one.

I know the cons- low resale value, bad dynamics (stock)- esp when cornering, no ABS/ airbags et all. But with the right upgrades (which don't cost much), and the right driver behind the wheels, it is a proven fact that cars twice its price cant keep up with it. As for safety features, well, ya- didnt I add it as a con?!!

I invite whoever have a doubt on the car (In and around Chennai, and Bans-galore) to be my passenger (until 5000 KMs on clock, that is!!) and then take a call (I will let you behind the wheel after..! ).

Last edited by ph03n!x : 13th June 2009 at 23:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks