Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:49   #16
BANNED

Best LPG Hatch : Wagon R. Tried & Trusted.
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:14   #17
BHPian

Could be usage of domestic (subsidized) LPG in place of Auto LPG. Domestic LPG has a deliberate adulteration of an odorly substance to nasal detect when there is leakage - can you smell gas in your kitchen? The retrofit kit has a filter to trap this odorly agent and has a tap to release it at a said frequency and that used to really stink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hello Guys,

Can you please tell me, why does the smell of LPG so strong with in hatchbacks particularly.

Recently in TVM I was looking at some Santros (2003-2006 models) to buy for my mothers use there (seat hight was a factor for her to get in and out). What I noticed was invaribly in all LPG versions, the smell of LPG was there and even ones clothes had the smell even after getting out of the car. I experienced this in at least 4 cars.

Is it endemic with all LPG hatch backs or was it for those particular cars only.

Thanks for your thoughts

Ram

PS - I bought a Santro 2003 Zip. 39,000 on Clock, PwS, Remote locks, Sonly Xplod, 4 brand new tyres, Generally Good condition for 165 K.
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Could be usage of domestic (subsidized) LPG in place of Auto LPG. Domestic LPG has a deliberate adulteration of an odorly substance to nasal detect when there is leakage - can you smell gas in your kitchen? The retrofit kit has a filter to trap this odorly agent and has a tap to release it at a said frequency and that used to really stink!

Autogas also has the odourly sustance(Mercaptan) in it, but in a substantially lesser quantity than with the domestic LPG cylinder. Regarding, the 'Filter to trap', there is no such thing to trap mercaptin, the filter that you refer to is actually the 'Diaphragm' in the vaporizer kit, and it serves as the membrane between the water and LPG. The heat from the water is transferred easily through the diaphram to the cold LPG from the tank where it gets vaporised.
But, yes there is a tap in most of the vaporisers to drain mercaptin. If you are frequently using Domestic LPG, you need to clean the vaporiser (diassemble it) somewhere by every 12,500 to 15,000 kms.

Regarding the cars. Here goes my ranking.

1. Spark LPG.
This has got the best technology in it. A 100% sequential technology with a slave ECU with injectors for each cylinders. Consistant performance on all weather conditions.

2. TATA indica Xeta.
This has got he second best technology, a semi sequential injection, eventhough it has a slave ECU, there is no seperate gas injectors in it. The lpg is directly guided to the intake manifold through a stepper motor.

3. Santro Eco, wagonR duo

Both of them share a similar Open loop arrangement with emulator. The performance/tuning varies with change in ambient atmospheric temperature. The WagonR also has the tendency for backfiring on hard acceleration which ultimately BLOWS the AIR FILTER BOX at times.

I have test driven all these and found the SPARK engine extremely smooth on LPG. There is no big difference while putting AC in spark, while all the three behaved as if it has LOST ONE BIG CYLINDER!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks