Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 07:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Are the MUL goin to really revamp the ALTO with the New K-series engine, if so, please throw some light on topic
WHAT!!?? now what'll happen to my dreams? my plans?
well, i bought my alto a yr ago (aug '08) and have done 19k on it already and have liked it all. its peppy enough as long as its only 2 pax driving. 4 pax, gets dreary. maybe these are the reasons for the which abhi was considering sellign it.
My 2 big reasons for alto
terrific FE (18 kpl with 60% ac)
good resale value. but now with the said (but unconfirmed) engine upgrade to the K-series, the current version may take a beating. for once , i'd opt against change!!
coming to think of the upgrade, its easy for maruti to reduce the volume of the current K-series engine on the A-Star and drop it into the alto. makes manufacturing sense for maruti.
tata does that to their 1.2 ltr engine which is essentially a 1.4 ltr engine block.
Old 11th September 2009, 08:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
I did not properly evaluate or consider other Cars. That time, i felt being a newbie Driver and first time Car owner, i should go in for the Alto. But as time went by and i mastered my Driving Skills, i am feeling the need of more Power, Comfort.
Classic case of typical Indian car buying workflow. I know many people who just went in for the Alto without thinking for a second time.

Alto, though it is a small car, is not a very drivable car. I always finds its clutch much more difficult than a bigger car's - the point of action is restricted to few mms during the entire clutch travel. - its not easy to smoothly deliver power to the wheels using this. Another problem is that the breaks are integrated with the AC. Just kidding, the moment you turn on Ac, you feel like the car is towing another car behind.

Anyway, I'd suggest that you wait for an year or two, and buy a bigger car after selling off the Alto.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th September 2009 at 08:05.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I always finds its clutch much more difficult than a bigger car's - the point of action is restricted to few mms during the entire clutch travel. - its not easy to smoothly deliver power to the wheels using this.

Just the case with my dad's 2001 M800, clutch action limited to top 10 mm of clutch play.
But I like the gearbox of the M800 better than my unlce's Wagon-R (I cannot be sure many a times whether a gear has fallen in slot or not!)
Old 11th September 2009, 11:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion to you is to hold on to this Alto for some more time because the engines of all the cars now available would be upgraded to meet BSIV norms by June 2010. And can expect that some good engine options would be available by then. The present upgrade on Santro cant be considered really an upgrade because same engine etc. We can perhaps expect a three cylinder version of the 1.2 Kappa to power the santro some time in the late first half of the next year. So wait and watch woul be a finer option. I have a just 2year completed Alto which clocked 20000kms and was in the same dilemma but for the present waiting and watching. I also spent 3.08 lacs then (on-road) with ICE and keyless entry. The GM dealer last week offered a price of 2 lacs plus exchange bonus for the Spark.
Old 14th September 2009, 22:07   #35
BHPian

The new Estilo comes with the KB series that is 3-cylinders one litre engine, with a max of 68 Bhp. The power to weight ratio is really high in the new Estilo. While buying my Alto I was hoping there would have been such and engine in my Alto. However, I am quite satisfied with my choice of Alto. Yes, it hurts when the car slumps with AC turned on, but otherwise it does quite well. I chose the Alto because the car would be used for only two persons; and would be used only for long drives. After applying sun-films, there is not much need for AC as we prefer to take in the outside air on long drives. After all that is the primary aim of the drive.
Last weekend I solved my problem with comfort. Just tilted the driver-seat's back rest a tad more and moved the seat a tad behind. Now the drives have become so much more enjoyable.
Old 21st September 2009, 10:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

I saw an asking rate of 210K for an Alto LXi 2006 model at a True Value outlet.
My advice to Abhi is to wait for couple of months because by that time new variants would be launched to meet BS IV specs. Alto may get a K series 3 pot engine which would definitely reincarnate the Alto to higher performance levels.
(Maruti could even fit in the old Zen AAC heart with tweaking in Alto)
So wait even at a small cost by way of lesser price for your present Alto the. Still worth waiting.
Old 21st September 2009, 20:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I saw an asking rate of 210K for an Alto LXi 2006 model at a True Value outlet.
My advice to Abhi is to wait for couple of months because by that time new variants would be launched to meet BS IV specs. Alto may get a K series 3 pot engine which would definitely reincarnate the Alto to higher performance levels.
(Maruti could even fit in the old Zen AAC heart with tweaking in Alto)
So wait even at a small cost by way of lesser price for your present Alto the. Still worth waiting.

Hey Thanks Rajeev for your Input. You and everyone will be pleased to know that i have decided not to part with my Alto for atleast a couple more years or probably more. I have decided to do certain Mods and make it a Hot Hatch. I just fitted Fog Lamps today. The Part surrounding the Fog Lamps are Black. So am planning to stick Vinyl Tape on the 2 Horizontal Bars in the middle part of the Front Bumper just above the Number Plate, as mine is Body Colored Bumper. Another option i have is to color the Black Part surrounding the Fog Lamps to Pearl Silver. Am cofused between these 2 Options. Am also planning to blacken the B-Pillar.

My Future Mods in the order of priority include :

1) Remote Boot Release.
2) Door Visor, Spoiler.
3) K&N Air Filter.
4) Tyres and Alloys.
5) RPM Meter.

Any suggestions and views are welcome.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:13   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Smart decision! I am of the belief that one shouldn't even part with their 5 year old car, and here you were about to dispose off a nearly new ALto! That li'l Maruti does offer a lot for the price, will serve you well in the years to come and is extremely nippy within the city.

Related thread

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2009 at 11:14.
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:50   #39
BHPian

Fog Lamps

Got Fog Lamps installed on my Alto Yesterday from Carax, Baner on the
Mumbai - Pune Highway.

The Pricing Details are as follows :-

Fog Lamp Kit - 950
Switch - 45
Labor - 200

Though the Showroom is nice and the Owner, Mr. Rai was quite helpful, I was dissapointed with the Installation Part. The People doing the fitting Job removed the Bumper and removed the old Fog Lamp Square Area from the Back Side of the Bumper using a Drilling Machine. When i checked the Front side of the Bumper, the Pearl Silver Color had come off the surrounding Areas of the Fog Lamps on both the Sides on the Bumper. Such careless work.

They did stick Black Vinyl Tape but that was also shoddy with bubbles at many Places. So, i decided to do a small DIY.
Purchased Black Vinyl Paper, removed their crappy Vinyl Stickering and did it myself. Took an Hour or so to complete it.

Attached are the Pics. It's not perfect but much better than what it was before. What's your take on this, Guys?

I am also planning to stick the Vinyl Tape on the 2 Horizontal Bars above the Number Plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrade a recently bought Alto?-dsc00163.jpg  

Upgrade a recently bought Alto?-dsc00164.jpg  

Upgrade a recently bought Alto?-dsc00165.jpg  

Old 26th September 2009, 21:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Purchased Black Vinyl Paper, removed their crappy Vinyl Stickering and did it myself. Took an Hour or so to complete it. Attached are the Pics. It's not perfect but much better than what it was before. What's your take on this, Guys? I am also planning to stick the Vinyl Tape on the 2 Horizontal Bars above the Number Plate.
Hi Abhi,

Good DIY job!

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Are black vinyl paper and black vinyl tape 2 different things?
2. In Pune, where can one buy them, and for how much?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th September 2009 at 21:40.
Old 27th September 2009, 09:12   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi Abhi,

Good DIY job!

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Are black vinyl paper and black vinyl tape 2 different things?
2. In Pune, where can one buy them, and for how much?

Cheers,
Vikram
Hey Thanks Vikram.

I guess they both are different. The Black Vinyl Paper i got has a Matt kind of finish to it.
I got it from City just before Raviwar Peth.

Directions :-

Go straight from Nana Path, cross Alpana Theater, cross the Signal.
Then on the left side as well as on the right side there is a Shop called Al-Duraani i think where you get these Vinyl and Radium Charts.
I dont remember the exact price but I paid around 60 Rs. for a Big Chart Paper size Vinyl Paper.
Old 27th September 2009, 12:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot! If you manage to source vinyl tape too from some place, please do let me know from where you got it.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 27th September 2009, 13:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I felt the same way a few months after I purchased my i10 1.1. When I was buying this car, I was a learner. Hence, i10 1.1 seemed more than sufficient for my usage. After a few months, as I mastered my driving skills, I started to have the feeling that I could have gone for the i10 1.2 or even the Swift (which was initially ruled out because of poor visibility). But I am sure that even if I had purchased the Swift at that time, after a few months I would have felt that I could have gone for the Swift Dzire.
Rohan, *same pinch*. I am/was in the same dilema was what you are in. I got an i10 era. I was learning how to drive at that time. But now, i just for a few days/weeks felt that I could have got the kappa model. But now, I am happy as i10 is more than sufficient for commuting. I have decided to have this for another 3-4 years. After which I would upgrade to a sedan. I understand that this upgrade bug bites everyone, but it is always better to pass this.
Old 27th September 2009, 14:03   #44
BHPian

If you want to improve the looks of an Alto the first thing to do is get a nice set of alloy wheels and wider tires. The stock tires look as if the car is riding on stilts!

I got the door frames covered with black stickers and if you get an appropriate colored sun film to go with the color of the car, it can do wonders to improve the look of the car.
Old 6th October 2009, 16:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Abhi:Pls go for FFE along with K&N.only upgrading the filter will not show much improvement.

Rear spoiler doesn't suit well for Alto,altogether its a personal choice.

Alloys will definitely enhance the looks.Try to remove the decal looks good.

Blackend the A & B pillars.

upgrade to 100/90 philips rally bulbs.

Upgrade your horn etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks