Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 10:23   #1
BHPian

What second hand small Hatch?

Hullo Bhpians. Apparently my Grand father finds the Swift too large for regular City use, so looking for a small car for the same beat. Choosing between Alto, i10 , Santro and the likes. Preferable second hand. Located in Mumbai btw. I'm tending to favour the i10. Any views on the same? Or any other suggestions? Our current cars are

Maruti Swift ( 2 years Old )
Hyundai Accent ( 6 years old )
Audi A4 TDI ( 5 months old )
Old 11th September 2009, 10:34   #2

Hi redeff,

If you can find a good i10 then that would be ideal for city driving especially mumbai. If i were to prefer i would prefer a vehicle which would have not crossed 20-30K KMS.

It also depends on your bugdet.

Alto would be the best for driving in the city especially when it comes for parking space in mumbai.

Since i see that you have three rides already you might have to check that you get power steering vehicle when you buy.
Hope that helps !!!

Thanks,
Vivek
Old 11th September 2009, 10:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Alto - Maybe upgraded with a new engine next year. 2nd hand prices of the existing model might fall drastically then.
Santro - Already phased out in rest of the world. Got a pathetic facelift sometine back in India. If youconsider that, try to get a xing model second hand, not a zipdrive. Prices should be low.
i10 - 5 variants available now. New model (2 years since launch), so 2nd hand models should primarily be of the older irde 1.1 engined ones,and relatively fewer 1.2 kappa engined ones. irde is ok if you drive it exclusively within city (peak torque @ 2800rpm).

I would suggest go for i10 1.1 irde era/magna, if buying now. Comfort level is better in i10 than in santro.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:55   #4
BHPian

Hi Redeff, from my personal experience, I would like to suggest you Santro Xing.

I have clocked 81000+ kms, beleive me I have not faced single problem, no rattles, no niggles and Hyundai A** service is pleasurable experience in my ownership of 3.5 yrs. I have changed time belt at 80000 kms and have done regular service at interval of 10000 kms, I feel car same like new one, all parts intact and same driving pleasure.

Secondly Santro have high sitting position which makes you more comfortable while driving and sitting on the back seat.

Second option I would like to suggest you is i10, but I have not driven car, so I can't comment.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Buy a new Santro Xing - good discounts & very attractive pricing will lean you to buying a new one.

A good condition i10 in the 2nd hand market would be a bit tough as there are very few available.

And BTW if you have a A4 then I do not understand why you would want to buy a second hand i10 or Santro ? I mean you can certainly buy a new one !
Old 11th September 2009, 12:28   #6
BHPian

I have bought a pre-owned i10 - iRDE (Era) model for 3.2L in chennai./ The car is good as it is still under warranty. I did spend some 20k for all those accessories. The car is bliss to drive as compared to the older Santro (LE) we had. Well I intent to keep this i10 for another 2 years (probably 3/4 years), then probably go for a bigger sedan.

I would suggest you go for i10.
Old 12th September 2009, 13:50   #7
BHPian

Well, I may have an A4, but that does not rule out sensibilty right? As i said, we already have 3 cars and this will be an addition, not a replacement. Granpa wants it for city use parking and all, finds the swift too big, hence it just makes a lot of sense to go in for a second hand car!! Besides, saving is saving right?

@ Mutant- How old is the car?
Old 12th September 2009, 16:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

For your grand dad I would say get the i10 1.2 Kappa AT. Nothing can beat the ease of a compact AT in the city.

You will have to stretch your budget but I would say it is worth it.
Old 13th September 2009, 04:14   #9
BHPian

I would recommend i10. iRDE 1.1 will be available in the market around the price tag of 3.2 to 3.5 depending on the condition and Kms done.

Second preference would be Santro xing if you are looking for a comfortable tall seating position. I own one and its good for handling city driving.
Old 13th September 2009, 09:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Spark?

Why not consider the Spark too? Ask your Grandfather to TD it once. I'm sure he'll be pleasantly surprised. IMO, it's one of the best cars available for intra city driving right now.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 13th September 2009, 10:47   #11
BHPian

I'm sure the car will be driven by my brother and me too. The spark is a bit too 'cute' for my taste. Ps. we don't need a diesel or an auto. My grandfather loves driving . It's manual all the way for him!!
Old 13th September 2009, 13:28   #12
BHPian

Go for Wagon R Vxi + ABS, great to drive in the city, ease of ingress & egress, better engine than Santro.
Old 13th September 2009, 13:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Choose between i10 1.2 L AT and i10 1.1 L Magna.
Old 18th September 2009, 17:41   #14
BHPian

I dont see much difference between swift and an i10 to be swapped. I will suggest you Alto or and Astar(Though its not at al VFM) or Tata Nano. Its the smallest and cutest.
Old 18th September 2009, 19:54   #15
BHPian

Hyundai i10 - One of the easiest car to drive in city traffic. Your grandfather will love it. As others have suggested, try to find one that has done less than 30K.

Hyundai Santro - Again, lighter than the Swift and easy to steer and drive in city traffic. Hundreds of cars to choose from in the 2nd hand market. Again try to find one with low mileage.

Wagon R- If you want to look at the Maruti stable this is the best option in terms of ease of driving. Many available in the 2nd hand market. The Alto will be too cramped and will not impress the driver in your grandpa

Zen - If your granddad really loves to drive and does not mind a phased out car, he can also go in for a Zen. It is one of the best small cars ever sold in the Indian market and quite a few well maintained 3 year old low mileage VXi's can be had for 2.5 lakhs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks