Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 19:31   #1
BHPian

Alto Xcite OR should I wait for E-IV version?

Hi Folks,

As many already know, Maruti has launched the Xcite version of Alto with the following features:

front power windows,
manual central locking,
body colored bumpers,
internally adjustable ORVM (not body colored; they are black),
two tone interior color scheme,
interior color coordinated seat fabric,
rear demister,
rear parcel tray,
body side mouldings,
fabric inserts on door panel,
remote boot opener,
half wheel covers (silver colored), -- adds 0 appeal
body side graphics, -- not good looking at least in my opinion
new gear knob, -- nothing great
grill with garnish (chrome plated),
rear qtr trim,
two new colors – beige (not as gracious as in sedans) and passion red

All this at an additional cost of 13.5K to OTR (in Bangalore) only.

The Xcite makes a compelling case for itself while one is looking for very functional small car that is already the best selling car in the country today.

HOWEVER, my question is, does it make any sense to wait for the E-IV version of Alto that is rumoured to be fitted with the engine from A-Star?

While I am decently sure (aren't manufacturers too predictive these days!) that these additional features will not make it to the E-IV version (given that Xcite is another Limited Edition version), I am a bit confused if we should go ahead and purchase this knowing very well that it's heart is gonna change in the space of six months?

Of course, there is every chance that the innovative company might just make the existing engine E-IV compliant (don't know if this is really feasible).

Kindly let me know your opinions on the same.

BTW, I thought they should have added the rear spoiler to the Xcite as well (it's hard to satisfy the Indian customer, you know ). Guess how much the dealerships charge for one? 7.5K - that's atrocious when you consider the list of features offered in Xcite for just 13.5K rupees extra!

Best Regards!
Old 20th October 2009, 20:29   #2
BHPian

All those features for extra 13.5K is real VFM. The first 3 features you have listed will cost that much if taken as accessory from the Maruti dealer on the regular Lxi. Most of these features are very much utility oriented. I would say go for it.
Old 20th October 2009, 21:33   #3
BHPian

Alto with those features is surely tempting (If you have urgent requirement, then go for it). Wheel caps and graphics (side) look a bit odd, but that can be taken care of. What's the on-road price of X cite version??
Old 20th October 2009, 21:40   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
All those features for extra 13.5K is real VFM. The first 3 features you have listed will cost that much if taken as accessory from the Maruti dealer on the regular Lxi. Most of these features are very much utility oriented. I would say go for it.
Agreed, most of the features are utility based. And some of them are very good to have (power windows, central locking, remote boot lid opener)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Alto with those features is surely tempting (If you have urgent requirement, then go for it). Wheel caps and graphics (side) look a bit odd, but that can be taken care of. What's the on-road price of X cite version??
Not very urgent. But Xcite won't last long. (Add to that '08 Xcite was nowhere near this year's offer of long list of features.)

OTR in Bangalore, before discounts and after including 3rd and 4th year extended warranty is 346,xxx.
Old 20th October 2009, 21:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Seriously one stop getting being excited when the dealers make you look king showing free accessories.

Its high time the stopped M800 and Alto. Please look at A-Star or so which is way better and performs better. Would suggest a Nano over an Alto if engine power isnt an issue! Yah, getting a Nano is tough though but hope you got what I meant. ( I own two Alto; for records).
Old 20th October 2009, 22:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Seriously one stop getting being excited when the dealers make you look king showing free accessories.

Its high time the stopped M800 and Alto. Please look at A-Star or so which is way better and performs better. Would suggest a Nano over an Alto if engine power isnt an issue! Yah, getting a Nano is tough though but hope you got what I meant. ( I own two Alto; for records).
Jk, thanks! Just to clarify, Xcite is directly from Maruti, not a dealer offering.

A-Star (Vxi) is one lac away and is equally short on space and almost non-existent boot.

Nano - now that is one spacious car (from NC and Sam's thread). Just that can't get hold of one anytime soon.
Old 21st October 2009, 12:48   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post

HOWEVER, my question is, does it make any sense to wait for the E-IV version of Alto that is rumoured to be fitted with the engine from A-Star?
Kindly let me know your opinions on the same.
Waiting for the Euro-IV doesnt make much sense to me if you are satisfied with the car and its current performance. You may get a higher resale though. Also, the current engine is a tried and trusted one, go for it if you need the car now.
Old 21st October 2009, 20:19   #8
BHPian

Anyone has additional info? Thanks.
Old 21st October 2009, 20:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Any reason you are not looking at the Spark?

Its better than Alto in almost every way & costs the same.
Old 21st October 2009, 21:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Thats a brilliant option. The LS version, comes with all the features in Excite except for the rear wiper and demister at ~ 3.6L on-road in Bangalore. Thats ~ 15K more than the alto.
Old 21st October 2009, 21:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Thanks for the suggestion Techno. My reasons are,

Peace of mind - no uncertainity of the car or the maker
Cost of spares
Maintenance - of course I understand that Chevy offers a great 3 yr package for periodic maintenance, but what about other costs like painting a bumper etc.? May be that is low too, but I am not sure about the same.

Note that this will be an add-on car and I want to keep all costs (first/one time cost and the recurring ones) as much low as possible.
Old 21st October 2009, 21:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

13K for the mentioned accessories are a steal. I inquired here and the excite is not available.
There were threads running here on the proposed change in engine for the Alto.
Old 21st October 2009, 21:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey, looks like you prefer the Alto, but might I suggest taking a look at the Santro. Its quite competitively priced. Maintainence costs are low, and it really is quite a reliable car.
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

My Comments inline
Quote:
Peace of mind - no uncertainity of the car or the maker
Well even during its parent's bankruptcy there was no impact in India
Cost of spares
Maintenance - of course I understand that Chevy offers a great 3 yr package for periodic maintenance, but what about other costs like painting a bumper etc.? May be that is low too, but I am not sure about the same.

Everything is covered under this package which include prices of oils, wheel alignment balancing, there is zilch expense on the car for 3 years. The bumpers are <= Alto's in price.

Why would you need to paint a bumper as maintenance? Anyways usually painting charges are similar in a city.
The spares arent much expensive than an Alto.

Again If you plan to keep the car for a long period the maker shouldn't make much difference as there are enough cars on road today to ensure steady supply of parts in future.

Also please confirm if the painted bumpers are included in Insurance or not i.e. if they are from dealer end or Maruti as I have heard conflicting reports.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd October 2009 at 11:58.
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Better to stay away form Alto.See if you like the RitZ, the best among the lot than a 3-cylinder A-star.

Ritz is always good or i10 rules the roost of the sale figures after the Alto.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks