Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2009, 09:27   #1

Tata Indica V2 DLS customized vs Tata Indica V2 DLX

I am looking for used Tata Indica V2.

I have seen two cars (2003 DLS and 2003 DLX models).

For Indica 2003 DLS, owner has customized the car with following extra stuffs.

1. All 4 Power windows connected to central locking
2. Central locking with keyless entry
3. White HIDs installed
4. Pioneer MP3 player
5. with Sony 4 channel amplifier and Sony subwoofer
6. All 5 SM alloys
7. All 5 Hankook 185/R13 tubeless tyres
8. 2 month old gel battery
9. Art leather seat covers

Indica 2003 DLX with Sony music system

I have the following questions.

1. For both models, the quoted price is 1.85 Lacs. Is it good price model in Bangalore? What is the normal price in Bangalore.

2. Is DLS with custom loaded facilities better than Indica 2003 DLX?

3. Please share your views if I missed out anything here?

Thank you,

Krish
Old 1st November 2009, 09:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

in resale terms, there is not much difference between a 6 year old DLS and DLX.

Prices are on the high side, especially for the DLX.

I really dont think there are too many differences. Apart from the power windows, i think the DLX has an extra engine dampener (cover), rear head restraints, and rear wash/wiper. Anyway, nothing more than a 15k difference at max.

which month are they from 2003? Check the chassis/engine numbers to confirm. They could be pre V2 stock.

how many kilometers have they run? What condition are they in ? engine wise and cosmetically?

more pointers here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ed-indica.html

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st November 2009 at 09:48.
Old 1st November 2009, 10:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
which month are they from 2003? Check the chassis/engine numbers to confirm. They could be pre V2 stock.

how many kilometers have they run? What condition are they in ? engine wise and cosmetically?
.2003 should be full fledged V2 versions.

@kari, running details will help. And you also need to check if that running is genuine. And how do the two feel ?

My thoughts, but not in correspondence to your listing :

1. Does the DLX have alloys ? What is condition of tyres of both ?
2. Is the customization to your liking, or are you just looking at it as a list of things ?

3. The DLX should have OE power windows.
4. The rear wash-wipe is something important in a hatch.

White HID's ? Do check this again. White HID's may offer more bling than visibility. And if it fails, then you either have to pay that few thousands to get it working again - or throw out the entire HID setup. Either way, it's money lost.

You could use the DLS as a bargaining point for the DLX.
Old 1st November 2009, 10:14   #4

DLX was bought in 2003 October, ran about 56000 KM. It has some problem with central locking.

DLS was bought in 2003 September, ran about 45000 KM.

I need to visit the car next week with mechanic to check the condition and engine.

I think, the prices are at least 25-30 K more than the market price.

I have plan for 1.4 lacs to 1.5 lacs price budget.

It is really tough to decide prices with extra fittings like music system, alloy wheels.

Any idea to judge prices for extra stuffs added for car?
Old 2nd November 2009, 10:04   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You are sailing in the wrong direction, Kari. Don't bother about the extra fittings. Your top priority should be the mileage of the car, what shape it is in and whether the said cars are free from major damage (accident, flood, engine etc.).

Are both these cars available at the same dealer? If so, I'm willing to bet that either has been clocked back. A 6 year old Indica diesel with only 45K on the odo looks doubtful (though, of course, not impossible).
Old 2nd November 2009, 10:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I really dont think there are too many differences. Apart from the power windows, i think the DLX has an extra engine dampener (cover), rear head restraints, and rear wash/wiper.

DLX has got that HVAC too (instead of the AC cooler on DLS)
Not likely for both to be a pre-V2 stock, as they couldn't have remained unsold for 2.5 years (Feb'2001 was the last month of production for the pre-V2's, and sadly our car falls in that category. Yet, Tata made all the retrofits before passing it on).
Old 2nd November 2009, 10:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

@ condor and Dkamath - my bad. I thought the V2 was launched in 2002.

@ the OP, Check the power windows - especially the DLX. the early OE ones had issues.

technically, aftermarket acessories dont add much to the price of a car. After all, you're only looking to buy the car, and not the acessories. About 50% of what they might have cost to install would be a good idea. Alternately, see if the seller can sell them off for a price seperately
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:39   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dkamath : Feb'2001 was the last month of production for the pre-V2's, and sadly our car falls in that category. Yet, Tata made all the retrofits before passing it on).
OT :
@Kamath, during the last few months of the pre-V2's produciton, the car had all the features of the V2 - except the slightly wider tyres. Our Indica has a pre-V2, purchased in Aug 2000 and yet all the V1 niggles had been sorted out by then. The car ran smoothly with us for the next 4 yrs & 83k before we moved to the Marina.
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kari

Suggest the FActory fitting are always better than the after market fittings.
Moreover, Indiacas have prone to electrical malfunctions.

What is the car condition and more importantly, the tyre condition.

It is a known fact that the Indica is a grossly misused car and also that tyre rims tend to disfugure after a while.
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
OT :
@Kamath, during the last few months of the pre-V2's produciton, the car had all the features of the V2 - except the slightly wider tyres. Our Indica has a pre-V2, purchased in Aug 2000 and yet all the V1 niggles had been sorted out by then. The car ran smoothly with us for the next 4 yrs & 83k before we moved to the Marina.
Sorry for yet another OT. Apart from the lower aspect ratio tyres, V2's have a better suspension setup, as well as tie rods and A-links for the front wheels. Though our car has got it all since the time of purchase, i still miss the "V2" owner's manual
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:38   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

suggest you look out for a privately owned Indica V2 DLG Turbo - they started these up in early 2006. Well worth it. You should be able to source a decent one in Bangalore for about 3 Lacs to 3.25 Lacs. I know your budget inclination, but I would sincerely suggest you stretch a bit.

Mileage done would be around 40000 Kms give or take. If you get one, snap it up because it is a very good buy in the used car market provided it has been privately owned and run.

Or else, if you are absolutely sure you want to stick to your budget, then consider a Maruti Wagon R or something of that kind - again you wont regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karikrishni View Post
DLX was bought in 2003 October, ran about 56000 KM. It has some problem with central locking.

DLS was bought in 2003 September, ran about 45000 KM.

I need to visit the car next week with mechanic to check the condition and engine.

I think, the prices are at least 25-30 K more than the market price.

I have plan for 1.4 lacs to 1.5 lacs price budget.

It is really tough to decide prices with extra fittings like music system, alloy wheels.

Any idea to judge prices for extra stuffs added for car?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd November 2009 at 17:40.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You are sailing in the wrong direction, Kari. Don't bother about the extra fittings. Your top priority should be the mileage of the car, what shape it is in and whether the said cars are free from major damage (accident, flood, engine etc.).

Are both these cars available at the same dealer? If so, I'm willing to bet that either has been clocked back. A 6 year old Indica diesel with only 45K on the odo looks doubtful (though, of course, not impossible).

They are from two different person who are commuting to office on daily basis. One Car has taken on corporate loan (Wipro) and due is over. They are not dealer but I don't know whether it is clocked back or not. Any way identify such things?
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:42   #13

Hi Shankar,

Thanks for the suggestion. Initially I had plan to purchase the Maruti 800 then changed my thought to Indica. I never had any experience with cars, thought will go for used car and use them for another 4 years then plan for new one. I haven't thought about Wagan R, it seem to be bit costlier than Indica but reliable one.

My friend suggests me Palio 1.2, somehow I tends to go with Indica. This thread is very useful and I willl update my findings here
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well... The price seems to be a bit on the higher side.

Seeing that you haven't driven much before, how about you try a Santro?

It is relatively maintenance free and are abundantly available. You can try and get the Zip Plus ones.

I am assuming you'll be doing little highway driving.

PS: If you want to post something within 15 minutes of your first post, you can use the edit button to add it to the first one itself.
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karikrishni View Post
They are not dealer but I don't know whether it is clocked back or not. Any way identify such things?
Find out from the owner if the car was serviced in an A.S.S. If so you can find out if the Kms are genuine by looking at the service records. That will also give you the service history - If the car was regularly serviced and if there was any major issue and the ODO reading on the last service with the date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks