Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 21:02   #1

Swift Zxi vs. i20 Asta Diesel

Hi all,

Needed some help regarding what car to buy. My priority is really really good performance for city driving.

I would like to make modifications on the car post delivery. I hear the Swift is better to work on but I personally found the Asta Diesel engine much torquier except at low RPMs.

What car do you suggest I buy and what modifications can I make on it.

All your help is much appreciated Thanks.

Regards,
Shalin
Old 7th November 2009, 11:32   #2
BHPian

swift zxi (petrol) and asta diesel - are you sure you're comparing the right cars?

the ddis can also be modified. may consider between the ddis and asta diesel IMHO.

sameer
Old 7th November 2009, 13:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalin1010 View Post
My priority is really really good performance for city driving.
Are you intentionally comparing a petrol with a diesel? Why not Swift diesel instead of the petrol?

The only priority you have mentioned here is the performance for city driving. Hence giving my suggestion based only on that parameter.

Since you are considering i20 Asta diesel at 6.8L ex-showroom, I'd suggest the Ford Fiesta 1.6S at 6.9L ex-showroom. What you get is a 100 bhp petrol in one awesome handling package!!! For performance alone, doesnt get any better for that price, IMO.
Old 7th November 2009, 15:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

firstly why are you comparing between a petrol and a diesel hatch.
Secondly if its only for performance orient you should also consider ford fiesta as well which is a gem of drivers car with quite good options to modify as well.
Old 8th November 2009, 03:55   #5
BHPian

It would not be appropriate to compate Swift Petrol and i20 Diesel. When you want a peppy driving experience within the city, go for the Swift.

IMHO Swift is a sporty car good for modifications. i20 Diesel suits when you are looking for an overall good package in a hatchback.

Yes, as others pointed out if the consideration is for Petrol, go for the Petrol version of Fiesta for its power and better handling.
Old 8th November 2009, 08:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Swift petrol isnt a good city car, you need to keep it on revs to keep it moving inside the city; very irritating IMHO.

A good city car needs lot of good usable low end torque. i20 diesel is costlier than ZXi by a big margin right?
Old 8th November 2009, 09:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

A good city car in bumper to bumper shouldn't have too much torque as well. I find the excess low end torque of the swift downright irritating. See other threads about clutch for more
Old 8th November 2009, 16:44   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shalin, if one of the main purchasing criteria is mod-friendliness, then the Swift wins hands down. It's more of a drivers car than the i20, is quicker and has a tight suspension setup. You'll find easy after-market support for this hot hatch.

The i20 diesel is also a fantastic car. However, the handling / dynamics aren't exactly driver-oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I find the excess low end torque of the swift downright irritating.
You meant poor low end torque of the Swift petrol?
Old 8th November 2009, 16:49   #9

Thanks guys. I'm primarily looking at the Swift Zxi because airbags is a must (sorry I didn't mention that earlier). If there were a Zdi, I would have already bought it Budget is not really a constraint. The 1.6S is something that I had completely ignored. Thanks for that! I'm also looking at a Honda City but not too keen for it. Overall, I like the Asta the most. But can I change the low end torque? That's really my biggest hiccup.
Old 9th November 2009, 19:59   #10

I think if budgets not a constraint, consider basic mods to a Honda City. Free Flow, Airfilter, Spark Plugs.
118ps basic power. Tweak it a bit more. Will outclass the 1.6s or any of the hatches.
Old 9th November 2009, 21:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk123 View Post
I think if budgets not a constraint, consider basic mods to a Honda City. Free Flow, Airfilter, Spark Plugs.
118ps basic power. Tweak it a bit more. Will outclass the 1.6s or any of the hatches.
You forgot something; the handling. Dont think the City will be a match for Fiesta's handling.
Old 9th November 2009, 21:35   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Swift ZXi is a great driver's car - peppy engine and great looks.
Personally I would go for the I20 Diesel top end for its very elegant looks, stance, extra features, safety, low end torque, diesel power and larger space and capacity than the Swift. It would serve very well as a city commuter as well as an occasional highway cruiser in my opinion.
Not to mention that the I 20 is born of later more updated technology than the Swift.
After sales service - both companies are very easily comparable in terms of access, quality of service and inexpensive nature of maintenance.
If your choice is clearly limited to being between these two cars - buy the I 20, you wont regret it.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Test drive all the three variants fiesta-S/Swift/i20-D back to back. Not to mention CEDIA.

CEDIA: Its a completely rally breed.Torque always available for city and highway drive as well. Cost 10.5L on road. See if this changes your mind.
Fiesta: Its a true drivers car with necessary features.
Swift: Nothing to write home about. ZXI comes with all the bells & whistles.
i20: New,with all the gizmo's and a diesel engine. different from the above ones.

If money is not a constraint i20 Asta with sunroof if the one to go. Has a great stance with quality interiors. Looks more bold than a sedan.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 10th November 2009 at 11:24.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
the handling. Dont think the City will be a match for Fiesta's handling.
Totally agree on this.

@Shalin- Why dont you wait for the 1.2 K series on Swift?? If budget is not a constraint and running is on higher side-i would opt for the i20 Crdi.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
You forgot something; the handling. Dont think the City will be a match for Fiesta's handling.
City driving - I doubt the handling will be such an issue .. will it? Havent driven a Fiesta 1.6s, however, I am told Mods for a Honda are way easier than a Fiesta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks