Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 22:41   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
If ride and handling is what you want, look no further than the Swift in the list provided by you. The engine is a bit dated. The K12M motor is on the cards by March/April 2010. For city driving though, the Ritz would be the best in the present scenario. The K12M motor is a gem. Superb for both city and highway use. The Swift's motor performs better on the highway. Not that great in th city due to lack of bottom end torque.
Yep performance is important to me. Being a novice, I don't thing the engine will make much difference to me although I might be wrong. I stay in Navi Mumbai which is less congested compared to Mumbai so i guess city driving will not be as painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I would suggest you the Ritz VXi above the Swift VXi.

In Mumbai, the Ritz VXi with ABS costs 4.6 lac. Without ABS it costs 4.37 lac. (Both prices, Ex-showroom)

The Swift would be dearer and is not as practical as the Ritz. The Ritz's great K series engine is fuel efficient and conforms to BS IV norms. Go for it.
Would you recommend Ritz over Swift if both have the same engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
I would suggest to buy the Ritz vxi with ABS. If you are so particular about the Swift, wait till it gets a K-series engine.
I need the delivery on or before 31st March 2010. Lets see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post
harley,
Since you are yet to learn driving 4wheeler, my sincere sugesstion is to buy a used / old Maruthi800 or any other small segment car.
Learn driving in city & Highway traffic and importantly parking thoroughly in a used car for about 4-6 months and once you are well versed with the above things, you can buy a new car.
While learning with a used car you needn't worry much about minor damages to vehicle. You may lose few thousands while reselling the used car but you save lot of damages to new car.
Please take a testdrive & feel the ride of each indivuial car in the selection list and then select a new car. To test drive & feel the ride you should have good expreince in driving otherwise everything seems good.
However in another 6months lot of hatchbacks are going to be released in Indian market & you will have a wide range of models for selection.
I had though of this earlier but the problem is I have had many bad experiences with used/second hand stuff and in case of the used car I will have no control on additional expenditure which might arise of nowhere, so i would like to stay away from it. Although your advice is very practical but i don't want to take chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
IMO the car which best suits your budget and requirements is the Chevy Beat LT with the option pack. So you get a brand new full option car with all the safety features, alloy wheels and climate control function which the i10/Ritz/Swift don't offer at this price range.

The Chevrolet 3yr maintenance plan will also prove useful in the long run.Moreover I don't think you will find any difficulty in driving the Beat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i think the beat would be the best choice here since it is a new launch. its also got some good aggressive looks. its got all the features you want, abs airbags. its interiors are great with that piano black finish, a cool instrument console, and things like climate control. your family and your friends will be really impressed with it. also there is nothing like buying a top end model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
I bought a I10 sportz and driving has been so easy ever since. It will be perfect for your choice. Take a TD for all the above cars and take a wise decision. Hyundai has picked up a lot on the A.S.S.
Sure...I'll update you after the TD experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Ritz VXi - If you are fine with the way the car looks, look no further.

Beat LT - I will rule it out as I think it is not a car for a one car family, it has a ridiculously small boot and although your family would be fine in the rear seat.
For me, it's like the perfect 2nd car or for people who are single (or married with kids atleast 3 years away)

Swift - Think about it but the current engine and tranny package are dated. The petrol is not as efficient as the Ritz's motor.

i10 Sportz - I consider the Ritz to be a better all round car, the engine being superior and I prefer the ride and handling balance of the Ritz too(this is a personal choice though)

Finally: Ritz is the best option if you like the styling (I assume you do as it's in the shortlist)
Yep i am okay with Ritz. I have got used to it .
Old 19th January 2010, 22:47   #17

Thanks a ton to longhorn, DRIV3R, Anand123, sree70, harishnair, akshay1234, rajatsingh78, samabhi and Amartya.

I'll take a TD of all the cars short listed and update you very soon.

Regards,
harley
Old 20th January 2010, 11:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

An update : The Swift has got the K series treatment. Should be available at your dealer soon though they may feign ignorance. Be prepared for a waiting period though.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

K-Series Swift or the i10. Please give a first impression review if at all you go in for the Swift . If the waiting period is not painful that is.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
harley,
Since you are yet to learn driving 4wheeler, my sincere sugesstion is to buy a used / old Maruthi800 or any other small segment car.
+100. Very practical & experienced thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I had though of this earlier but the problem is I have had many bad experiences with used/second hand stuff and in case of the used car I will have no control on additional expenditure which might arise of nowhere, so i would like to stay away from it. Although your advice is very practical but i don't want to take chance.
In case, you settle in for any Maruti Suzuki cars, then, True Value is the place you should go. Anyway, adding my 2 cents, looking for a used car is no rocket science, except that you just need to ask right set of questions & right places to look for, I mean right spots on the car. You don't need to settle with M800, but you can definitely get more features in the used car, compared to the new car, for the budget you have.

Before buying, I would suggest you going through the following advices even if you book a new car

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-used-car.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-mistakes.html
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:34   #21
BHPian

I think it is any day better to buy a new car as compared to an used one, especially if one has the financial means to go for a newer car. Learning to drive isn't a big deal. But getting stuck with an used car giving all sorts of troubles could be a painful experience.
Old 31st January 2010, 00:04   #22

@longhorn
Yep, i enquired about it, a week back, at Automotive & S K Wheels in Navi Mumbai....only the SKW guy was aware about it but had no clue about the availability & waiting period. I got a call from SKW guy couple of days back informing me about the K series engine now being available in swift & surprisingly he told me delivery would be immediate He explained me... SKW sold 3 out of 4 new swift and the last one is available without waiting period and if i miss this the waiting period would be 2 months. The model available is Vxi (without ABS) & colour is sunlight copper. I told him i'll need a weeks time to decide. The price comes to 4.9 lacs on road.

@prince_pervez
Sure.

@aargee
Thanks for those links.....it helped a lot. I'm seriously thinking about getting a second hand car. Lets see if i can find a good deal

@Johnny
I completely agree with you. But I would not be the only one driving it...dad & sis would also use the car. Although as of now none of us know driving..... so a second hand car does make sense.
Old 31st January 2010, 16:06   #23
BANNED

Probably you could give a thought about Indica Vista Quadrajet as well.It should meet your requirements.
Old 1st February 2010, 01:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

@Johnny
I completely agree with you. But I would not be the only one driving it...dad & sis would also use the car. Although as of now none of us know driving..... so a second hand car does make sense.
Well, in that case you could definitely consider a 2nd hand car. Nonetheless, a new car would be able to take a lot more abuse from new drivers than a 2nd hand car. I could be completely correct or I could be completely wrong. IMO if you are getting a good deal on a 2nd hand car, there's no harm in going for it. But get it thoroughly checked from a couple of good mechanics before finalizing the deal.

Last edited by Johnny_ : 1st February 2010 at 01:39. Reason: typing error
Old 1st February 2010, 12:23   #25
BHPian

If the funds is not a problem then buy a new car. Since you have said you need to keep car for 5-7 years its worth the investment. Its not that the new car is going to conk off if you are a new driver. I was in same boat as you few years back and bought a new car and then learnt driving.

Its not as difficult as it seems.

Between the options i would advise a swift or a ritz over an i10 because you are going to have some highway running.
Personally i own an i10 Auto sports and its a superb car . But we do not use it for highway runs.

I dont know how rattle prone ritz is ( other ritz users could comment ) , but you will have some rattles in swift in a year or two , but thats not too much of a problem if you have a decent audio system which is on all the time.

Chevy beat - Just too small . See post by gto of beat review . you will notice that dikki is toddler size . No way are you going to be able to even 2 medium size bags inside
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
harley,
Learn driving in city & Highway traffic and importantly parking thoroughly in a used car for about 4-6 months and once you are well versed with the above things, you can buy a new car.
While learning with a used car you needn't worry much about minor damages to vehicle. You may lose few thousands while reselling the used car but you save lot of damages to new car.
Please take a testdrive & feel the ride of each indivuial car in the selection list and then select a new car. To test drive & feel the ride you should have good expreince in driving otherwise everything seems good.
However in another 6months lot of hatchbacks are going to be released in Indian market & you will have a wide range of models for selection.
+1. I am from the same leaguge! Bought a second hand Palio and did all the tricks of learning on that. Now planning to buy a new car!!
Old 7th February 2010, 10:22   #27

@roadracer
Car's running will be less than 500 kms so a diesel engine doesn't make sense.

@Johnny
one of my friend's friend is selling his Wagon R (2005) driven only 15000kms but power steering doesn't work & recently the car had met with an accident and was under repair till last week plus two accidents in the past. As on date he has not received the car from maruti service center (he is expecting delivery this week) and has asked the maruti guys to evaluate the car's cost. Do you recommend buying such a car?

@manishkapadia
Yep money is not a big problem as the car will be on loan and dad will clear the EMIs Thanks for your advice.

@ObsessedByFIAT
Lucky you
Old 7th February 2010, 12:58   #28
BHPian

As suggested by Sree70 I would also request you to go for a pre-owned Maruti (Zen/Wagon R) from Maruti True Value, which comes with one year warranty too, learn driving in Mumbai traffic and then switch over to a new car. Let me tell you my experience I learned driving long back, used to drive my dad's Matiz when I visit my native place, but not very confident in Mumbai traffic. In Aug 2008 I bought a 2003 Maruti Zen Lx from Maruti True Value for Rs. 1.65 lacs (oddo ~43000 km; I was the 3rd owner). Drove the car about 21000 km, gained full confidence, sold the car in Dec 09 for 1.5 lacs and bought a new Ritz VDi. That Zen served me with no complaint. One of my friend also got a zen as per my recommendation and he also very happy with the car.
Old 7th February 2010, 14:40   #29

Hey Guys,

I took a TD of almost all the hatchbacks within my budget. Although i drove none....thanks to Ashwin (owns Laura), Charles (owns 120), Georgy (Booked Laura and owns WagonR) & Paresh (own WagonR) for driving on my behalf. Except Charles everyone is driving for more than 5 years.

Took TD with Ashwin, Charles, Georgy and Paresh on different dates, one friend at a time and for one TD took Dad & Mom along with me and for another took my Sis. Tried all sorts of combination . During one TD, I, Dad & Mom sat at the back through out to have a fair space comparison of the rear leg room.

My impressions.....

Chevy Beat
: Liked the design, interiors but not the piano black finish, seats were comfortable and enough leg room at rear but then the boot space is so less The ride quality was pleasant and i didn't find it claustrophobic at the back (i know many do). Ashwin & Georgy liked it but Paresh and Charles were disappointed. Adding further confusion

i10: Nice interiors and over all finish but i don't liked i10's shape especially from the front. Compared to Beat, the i10 was less spacious at the back but had a bigger boot space. The ride quality was not as smooth has the Beat but i was not disappointed. Ashwin was impressed with the i10s gear shift especially when the showroom guy told us the TD car was more than one year old. Georgy & Charles were also satisfied with the Car's driving experience. Didn't take a TD with Paresh so can't comment.

Punto: Classic, nice looking car with decent interiors and very spacious. Only Paresh drove Punto Emotion 1.4 and was not disappointed. Punto 1.4 is out of my budget :( The dealer said TD of 1.2 active would not be possible.

Ritz: Didn't like the rear shape at first but now i have got used to it and have not problem with it's looks. Didn't get a wow feeling after looking at i10's interiors but again i can live with it. Build quality felt solid and ride quality was at par with i10. The Ritz was very spacious compared to i10 & Beat. The seats were more comfortable, more leg room and it had enough boot space unlike the i10 & Beat. Ashwin felt the rear shift was not as smooth as the i10 but was happy with the car's power. Georgy and Paresh had no complains.

Fabia: Booked a TD well in advance, almost a week before and confirmed it one day prior but the car was not available with the dealer on time. He was expecting the car after an hour I told him to arrange for a TD, after the car arrives, at my place and he agreed. After an hour i got a call from the dealer confirming that the car was available and was on its way....after 30 mins the car arrived at my place. It was driven 30k kms but felt solid inside. Only Ashwin and Georgy drove it and were impressed with it. The engine was a little noisy but was noticeable as the windows were open due to faulty a/c. Overall the ride quality was first class.

i20: As Charles already owns it I know its a nice car and i am impressed with its looks, interiors and ride quality.

Swift: No dealer has it for a TD. Finally had to phone a friend who owns a swift diesel. I am not a big fan of its shape nor do i hate it. It has decent interiors and the rear leg room is adequate for my family. Dad, Mom & Sis sat at the back for a ride and didn't complain. Could here slight noise but was not irritating. Overall feeling was good.

So the big question is which one? After thinking a lot i have decided to go for a Ritz VXi. Now, again should i go for ABS? and which colour? i know the latter is subjective but still your suggestions are welcome.

I might book the car today. Any tips on negotiations?

Thanks a lot guys for helping. Will update you.

-Harley
Old 7th February 2010, 21:01   #30
BHPian

How about waiting a couple of days for the Figo? They will be in stores for TD very soon!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks