Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 21:17   #16
BHPian

The only difference between Maruti True Value and other dealers - you pay 20 k more for 3 free service/wash.

True Value Ad to sellers - We buy any brand/model/CONDITION.

True Value Ad to buyers - We sell ACCIDENT-FREE cars after 120-point check. Where have all the "any condition" cars bought by them gone?

Speedo tampering is also very common. Stretch ur budget a little more, another 70 K and buy a new 800 so that u can spend more time on the road rather than a garage. This comment is based on my personal experience - i have bought two used cars and sold - the next one will definitely be a new one.
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Used petrol beater, city drive

I would like to know my options on the above subject.
  • The car will be used strictly inside the city for errands; may be max 10 kms a day in B2B traffic and tight parking spaces. Or still, it may be standing in the garage idle for most days.
  • Petrol because of the initial and the maintenance cost of a used car.
  • Of course a hatch; and with A/C and power steering.
  • Importance to FE and low maintenance costs including low frequency of maintenance (read reliable).
  • Low end torque would be nice, if I am not asking for more.
  • Not much idea on the budget but heard that I could get a decent Alto for around a lac+ of rupee. So 1 - 1.5 it should be.
  • Dad not interested in the Nano and Omni, for some reasons.
  • Do not mind cars 10 years old, but it should not be an issue car. For that, what odo reading should I be targeting?
I'm tending towards the Alto. But what should I look for? Odo, price, year, model, FE. Which version of the Alto gives best FE?

Any better options?
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:19   #18
JLS
BHPian

Re: Used petrol beater, city drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
  • The car will be used strictly inside the city for errands; may be max 10 kms a day in B2B traffic and tight parking spaces. Or still, it may be standing in the garage idle for most days.
  • Petrol because of the initial and the maintenance cost of a used car.
  • Of course a hatch; and with A/C and power steering.
  • Importance to FE and low maintenance costs including low frequency of maintenance (read reliable).
  • Low end torque would be nice, if I am not asking for more.
  • Not much idea on the budget but heard that I could get a decent Alto for around a lac+ of rupee. So 1 - 1.5 it should be.
  • Dad not interested in the Nano and Omni, for some reasons.
  • Do not mind cars 10 years old, but it should not be an issue car. For that, what odo reading should I be targeting?
I'm tending towards the Alto. But what should I look for? Odo, price, year, model, FE. Which version of the Alto gives best FE?

Any better options?
I am not sure about the pricing in your city, but here in Ahmedabad - a 2006-08 Wagon R could be available in 1.5 to 2 lacs. Older Wagon R engine had better low end torque and hence better driveability than the current K-10 engine.
In my opinion, a well maintained Wagon R with around 40K KMs done, if available at a decent price would be a better option than Alto.
With Wagon R you will get a better AC, more powerful engine-will not run out of breath and also very spacious (very useful when making those monthly grocery runs)
Regards,
JLS
JLS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:29   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you are ok with slighly older cars, I would also suggest you look at the Maruti Zen. 2005-07 models will easily be available in the 1L range. Its small, reliable, fuel efficient and most importantly-fun to drive.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I am not sure about the pricing in your city, but here in Ahmedabad - a 2006-08 Wagon R could be available in 1.5 to 2 lacs. Older Wagon R engine had better low end torque and hence better driveability than the current K-10 engine.
In my opinion, a well maintained Wagon R with around 40K KMs done, if available at a decent price would be a better option than Alto.
I read somewhere that the Wagon-R lacked low end grunt. Older Wagon-R model means, of which year? Also, isn't the Alto cheaper compared to the Wagon-R when bought new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Since you are ok with slighly older cars, I would also suggest you look at the Maruti Zen. 2005-07 models will easily be available in the 1L range. Its small, reliable, fuel efficient and most importantly-fun to drive.
One reason I sold a Baleno was scarcity of spares. I heard the same scarcity of some parts for the Zen from my ASC at that time. I don't know how true it is.

Last edited by thoma : 3rd September 2014 at 21:34.
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Wagon R ought to suit your needs to the T We own one and even after 10 years of abuse and around 1.5lakh kms on the odo, it still serves us well.

The car is pretty peppy (F10D motor) though I have read that the new K10 3 pot units aren't that great to drive.
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:50   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

One reason I sold a Baleno was scarcity of spares. I heard the same scarcity of some parts for the Zen from my ASC at that time. I don't know how true it is.
I owned one from 2007 to 2011 and my co-brother owned one from 2008 to 2013 and did not face any issues with spares availability. But you are right, parts availability can be an issue now and going forward.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Wagon R ought to suit your needs to the T We own one and even after 10 years of abuse and around 1.5lakh kms on the odo, it still serves us well.
I guess it is difficult to get the old model. My friend once asked me if I could find any of the old model. By the way, which year was the model change? What is the rough FE figures that you get inside city; probably B2B? Any major replacements / issues all these 10 years? Average maintenance cost? Or have you put up an ownership thread, I'll go through it?
Old 3rd September 2014, 22:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess it is difficult to get the old model. My friend once asked me if I could find any of the old model. By the way, which year was the model change? What is the rough FE figures that you get inside city; probably B2B? Any major replacements / issues all these 10 years? Average maintenance cost? Or have you put up an ownership thread, I'll go through it?
It should be pretty easy to get hold of one. I think the Wagon R used the good old F10D motor from 1999 right up till 2009. I get about 13-14kmpl in the city and have never had any out of the ordinary issues so far and maintenance costs have been really cheap (this is the smallest car we have owned, I think Alto may be cheaper but really, this is nearly as good as it gets) The only issue I have had are rattles and that is tackled by just requesting the service center to adjust the door locks and generally reduce vibrations from the interiors every year. The car might not really excel at anything from an enthusiasts point of view, but it certainly makes for one of the most easiest cars to drive and maintain. You will even begin to appreciat the folding rear seats coupled with the tall-boy design which makes carrying stuff around fairly easy. Sorry don't have any ownership reviews up yet, but I can bet my testes that unless you have any other odd requirements from your used petrol beater, the Wagon R is certainly your best bet

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd September 2014 at 22:11.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 22:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The only issue I have had are rattles and that is tackled by just requesting the service center to adjust the door locks and generally reduce vibrations from the interiors every year.
Hmm..this one really irritates me, rattles. But I'll have to pardon them on a beater car, right? You are right; I remember being on my neighbor's Wagon-Rattle err..R. And in comparison to my cousin's old Alto, the Alto felt more stitched together.

Thanks for the data though.
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:00   #26
BHPian

Hi Thoma,

I would tend to agree with IshaanIan about the WagonR.
I have owned and driven all the different models - have being driving a Waggie since 2002.
The first gen was probably the best - engine wise.
The second gen (F10D) also good and better interiors.
The current one is a pain in lower gears/revs. Have to make a conscious effort not to stall the car. However, once pass 2K rpm, she flies. On the other hand, the new car interiors are much improved as is the legroom, dashboard and the suspension.
I never had any major rattling issues - any which were there could easily be fixed with grease/Heatlon/packing at your MASS.
Average in B2B traffic in Bombay was rarely more than 10.5. Maybe 11 on a good day. This on all three cars. I keep a log book.
No major issues but one major irritant which also leads to the "rattling" phenomenon is the brake calipers. They need to be adjusted and greased regularly. Not an issue with the new cars.
It is a real "Fill it and Forget it" car. Perfect for the city. Very good A/C and PS. Try and get a Vxi.
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:49   #27
BHPian

Hi Thoma,

Hyundai Satro Xing would be a better option with approx 40K to 50K on the ODO. The Santro comes with a 1.1 liter petrol Engine that generates 63Bhp. It has an excellent suspension setup, good pickup, chilled A/C, smooth power steering which enables better drivability in the city B2B traffic. Approx price bracket is 1.3L to 1.5 L for 2006/2008 models. The Tallboy design of Santro provides for enough leg, head and elbowroom.
Old 4th September 2014, 03:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The Waggie it is. Pick one with the 1.1 ltr engine, I think this label was on the front doors with squarish clear glass headlights, you should get it around your target price.
Alternately you'll get Santro's as well in that price range, Santro has very good low end response and is perfect in city, only drawback, has comparatively pricier spares and I think the body can be prone to rust if along the coastal belt, I have seen that with multiple Hyundai's, not so much with Maruti's.

Santro is very reliable, gives good mileage on highway runs and as you may have noted there are plenty examples from initial days on the road, Hyundai spares are easily available too.
Alto gives amazing mileage but will not have that kind of low end, however Alto is real FTD, as it is nimble and sure footed.
Anyways your options are between Maruti and Hyundai so not much can go wrong here and both being tall boys will be comfortable for elderly, with Santro you can take advantage of its poorer resale value.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 4th September 2014 at 03:17.
Old 4th September 2014, 03:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

I would also suggest to look out for a low mileage well maintained Chevrolet Spark, pretty peppy engine, good FE & easy on Maintenance. Ofcourse, check Chevy support in your town. You should get them cheaper than a Maruti.
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 10:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

@thoma, what car(s) do you have currently ? I see a Beat in your tbhp garage and a Baleno in your profile, but both are sold I guess. Your avatar is the VW logo, so maybe one of their cars.

Reason is, probably you already have one car among the ones you own which could be used as the city-beater, instead of getting a used one which comes with its own problems. If not, then yes, an Alto / WagonR / Santro could be a possible candidate.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks