Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2005, 23:25   #1
BHPian

Indica DLS vs Palio 1.9D EL - help !!!

hey guys - need your help on this one.
we are planning to buy a diesel car - small - in class of Indica - thats 'A' segment i guess.

our budget would be upto 5 lakhs. in this range i guess only Indica and Palio 1.9D are available.
my dad would be driving it about 80 KMs per day - thats city + highway driving and he's expecting good FE out of it ( well thats the reason why he's going for a diesel car - otherwise he always opposes them )

Maintainance is not a problem - dad just loves looking after his cars - also, pickup wont be much trouble as he doesnt race them

existing Palio 1.9D / Indica DLS users - please share your opinions about your cars.
Old 21st September 2005, 23:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

I just got a Indica DLS 2 weeks back... Its excellent, costed me 4.25 lakhs and gives me 14.5 FE.... With the money left from your budget, you could also go for alloys [if needed] or exchange your car tyres to better rubber... + car audio setup....

Also, I don't think the entry level Palio D comes under or within 5 lakhs... Atleast not in Chennai...

Wait for the opinions from Palio D users.... There are a few other Indica D users too, wait till you hear them out....

Gud luck!!! Cheers
Old 22nd September 2005, 00:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

In short, if you have money, close your eyes and go for Palio D. If you are short on budget, go for Indica DLS. Indica is good, but Palio D would be much superior and worth the money. And in Pune, A/S/S should be no big deal for Fiat. Probably even better than Tata. Watch out for low resale value. Palio D should have higher resale than Palio Petrols, but may still be lower than others.
Old 22nd September 2005, 08:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Is a small size really important for you? If yes then for 5L Palio D is certainly better option though both the palio and indica are underpowered. But if you not too worried about the size but want to fit in 5L budget close your eyes and go for the indigo E-III. With 20000 discount the LS version will fit in your budget

Now lets say you want to buy only a small car and your budget is 5.0L on road.
Forget the Palio D. The base version will cost your 5.6 approx on road.
Tata indica is 3.5 DLS, 3.7 DLG and 4.0 DLX(Top end model) compred to Palio which is 5.0 ex showroom for base and 5.4 ex showroom for top end.

So doing that math, you have 1.5L price extra to pay for the Palio D, for which you can go for an indigo and save money for alloys too.
Old 22nd September 2005, 09:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Go for the Palio D. It should give you around 14-15 kmpl with AC in City and around 17-18 kmpl on the highway.
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Tata willwin in the cost sweepstakes, though you may have to check out the situation in Pune first. If it comes to the overall package though, money not being the constraint, and if you are going to be in Pune/Mumbai, the PalioD wins hands down.
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Surely if i were you with a 5 lac budget, i would go for neither Palio nor Indica. Instead, the bigger and better Indigo LS TDi. The TDi drives like a Petrol car, and gives you a big boot as well..

Last edited by DCEite : 22nd September 2005 at 12:27.
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Is a small size really important for you? If yes then for 5L Palio D is certainly better option though both the palio and indica are underpowered. But if you not too worried about the size but want to fit in 5L budget close your eyes and go for the indigo E-III. With 20000 discount the LS version will fit in your budget

Now lets say you want to buy only a small car and your budget is 5.0L on road.
Forget the Palio D. The base version will cost your 5.6 approx on road.
Tata indica is 3.5 DLS, 3.7 DLG and 4.0 DLX(Top end model) compred to Palio which is 5.0 ex showroom for base and 5.4 ex showroom for top end.

So doing that math, you have 1.5L price extra to pay for the Palio D, for which you can go for an indigo and save money for alloys too.
I agree - you can buy an Indigo for the price of a Palio D.

The Euro III Indica (TD) should have power thats similar to a Palio D (since it features the EII Indigo's engine) and Indicas are known to be very fuel efficient too. You've already mentioned that power isnt a major criteria - the EII Indigo had adequate power which should make the new Indica a much better performer than what it is now.

If you're looking at a smaller car, go for the Indica unless you like to take chances. If size doesnt matter, go for the Indigo and get more for less.
Old 22nd September 2005, 13:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The Euro III Indica (TD) should have power thats similar to a Palio D (since it features the EII Indigo's engine) and Indicas are known to be very fuel efficient too. You've already mentioned that power isnt a major criteria - the EII Indigo had adequate power which should make the new Indica a much better performer than what it is now.
Steeroid, the Euro III Indica does not come with a TD or the Indigo's Euro II engine either [62-64 bhp]... Its still the same 54 bhp engine that was sold before.... There were a few members here on this forum discussing a Sport version of Indica, but nothing of that sort is slated for a release anywhere within the 1st quarter of 2006.

I know cause I just got a Euro III Indica DLS 2 weeks back...

The Indigo is a powerful vehicle tho.... for a diesel... And its a football field inside with the rear seats double folded..... Very very spacious.....

Btw, I never got to say. Congrats on buying the Dicor Safari....
Old 22nd September 2005, 13:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
Steeroid, the Euro III Indica does not come with a TD or the Indigo's Euro II engine either [62-64 bhp]... Its still the same 54 bhp engine that was sold before.... There were a few members here on this forum discussing a Sport version of Indica, but nothing of that sort is slated for a release anywhere within the 1st quarter of 2006.

I know cause I just got a Euro III Indica DLS 2 weeks back...

The Indigo is a powerful vehicle tho.... for a diesel... And its a football field inside with the rear seats double folded..... Very very spacious.....

Btw, I never got to say. Congrats on buying the Dicor Safari....

I thought my dealer told me that the Indica will soon sport the Indigo diesel engine...must take him up on that if its not true.

Thank you for your wishes.
Old 22nd September 2005, 15:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Surely if i were you with a 5 lac budget, i would go for neither Palio nor Indica. Instead, the bigger and better Indigo LS TDi. The TDi drives like a Petrol car, and gives you a big boot as well..
this totally makes sense!!

although honestly if it were me I would probably buy the DLX (top) Indica and get some more goodies on it and still save some money
Old 22nd September 2005, 15:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
this totally makes sense!!

although honestly if it were me I would probably buy the DLX (top) Indica and get some more goodies on it and still save some money
Abhay, your idea is good, but I wouldn't recommend a DLG or DLX... I got a DLS for 4.25 on road, and what you get xtra with the DLG are 1) Heater along with A/C, 2) Fog Lamps, 3)Front Power Windows, 4) Prolly leather steering cover [i'm not sure] and with the DLX you get: 1) front and rear power windows, 2) Full wheel covers, 3) Leather Steering cover, 4) Fog lamps and some more stuff, certainly no ABS or airbags...

Here's what I did after I got the Indica DLS

1) Front and rear power windows - 12k
2) Leather steering cover - 350/-
3) Fog lamps - 2500/- [I didn't get the fog lamps, just indicating the price]

I added a rear spoiler with stop light, cause it made the otherwise too curvy looking rear, a lil sporty....

Alloys + goodyear 185/60 R13 Ducaro tyres in exchange for Bridgestone tubetype tyres - 15000/-

IMHO, get the DLS, and upgrade with components you'd prefer.... Even the DLX model does not come with a remote locking option... Just central locking using the key.... sad, that!!!
Old 22nd September 2005, 17:48   #13
BANNED

nowonwards both will have same FIAT engine..1900CC. So Indica GLS will cost more..once this happens. FIAT & TATA has signed MoU today.
Old 22nd September 2005, 18:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasopi
nowonwards both will have same FIAT engine..1900CC. So Indica GLS will cost more..once this happens. FIAT & TATA has signed MoU today.

I just cant wait for Indica to get that Palio 1.9 Torque... yummy....
Old 22nd September 2005, 19:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

more like the Palio may get the Indica diesel and the Indica get the Palio 1.2L petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks