Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 19:35   #31
BHPian

@ TheEnd

So what's your point, you have anyway rejected all the three here.

Last edited by Dippy : 9th March 2010 at 19:49. Reason: Avoid quoting a long post for a one liner reply
Old 8th March 2010, 19:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

I own an i20, but I am not going to start bashing the polo or punto.

Before recommending a car... please state your priorities.
Do you want a very quick car, or a car which is very comfortable?
What is you running / month?
What is the last brand of car you owned and whether you were satisfied with the a.s.s.?
Will this car be always self driven or will you ever be in the back seat?
Is luggage space of any importance?
etc .. etc..
Old 8th March 2010, 19:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
"theEnd" has given very valid points. Based on them let kroniq decide based on his requirements.
Old 8th March 2010, 19:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I think he has the right set of points! And he definitely hasn't rejected all cars in question. Each set of wheels will have some good things and some not so good things (esp. in the price bracket we are dealing with here). What matters is what the person buying the car values more - handling, interiors, looks, power etc.

If I had to buy any one of these today I would go for i20 for the overall package it offers (I just love the looks of a Punto though).
Old 8th March 2010, 19:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
For pure city driving, actually an Indica Vista or a Swift Diesel drives better than the i20 - which suffers from an irritating turbo lag.

Of course! Yet the i20's lag isn't disabling in any manner. Although it is slightly sluggish and won't knock you out of your seats at 1800, it still moves along fairly.
Even the Vista and the Swift suffer from turbo lag.

The i20 with its very light steering wheel and a very very pliable clutch makes stop and go traffic an ease to beat.

PS: The only car on which I can claim some sort of ownership is the Punto, although I have TD'd the i20 quite extensively. So, believe me when I say I am not being biased.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

If you wanna live with all the features that makes you safe & comfortable inside the car, with good A.S.S backing you,but get that sly 'pesky Hyundai, copied design' look from your peers (and you can't do stunts on your i20 to impress them either!) - get i20

If you wanna live with a baby maseratti with looks that floor and true to life handling, but suddenly one day your rear wiper falls off (happened in tbhp)followed by rust on the door (also in tbhp), while the A.S.S takes ages to respond - get punto

If you wanna live with a VW badge to flare (a company with proven track record), with (expected) solid handling and decent interiors, but miss out on most of the features that a person in Germany gets by default in his car (purely because you are an Indian) and try out an untested new product - get Polo

I would vote for the i20.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

@ kroniq , you should consider the Figo also...?
Old 8th March 2010, 20:25   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
Misses in Punto:
Electrical OVRMS
Height Adjust for Driver seat.
Kenwood OEM MP3,CD player with 6 Speakers with Aux & USB connectivity.
Telescopic and rake adjustment of steering wheel.
Class's best interiors with beige and brown combination.
Screen airbags- Sun roof in Asta (o)
Alloy Spare wheel- Asta
Punto comes with Electric OVRMs though they do not auto fold, the seat height adjust is very much available in Punto, the audio system has USB connectivity and the steering has rake adjustment. Add the Blue and Me to the list.

The choice of color and looks of Interiors vary from person to person, the improved plastics in Punto are not that bad anymore.

The Price 1lakh+ rupees difference should also be considered.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th March 2010 at 20:27.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I was letting the original poster make a decision based on my observations.

But you're correct. I - personally - have rejected all 3, because I want my next car to have better performance (i.e. 0-100km/h timing), handling, features and reliability than my current car, subject to a budget cap of 10L. That's why I'm still driving my rattle-trap Swift.

I will wait for a better hatchback to come out (eg. Polo 1.6 or Punto T-Jet), or else I might just get a sedan.

To each his (or her) own.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post

I - personally - have rejected all 3...
I will wait for a better hatchback to come out (eg. Polo 1.6 or Punto T-Jet), or else I might just get a sedan.
You are absolutely correct. Just my thoughts. It is a classic case of "Water, water, every where, Nor any drop to drink.."

And my decision is almost the same, instead of a sedan I' ll go for an SUV.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:55   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroniq View Post
hey guys,

i want to purchase a new car but am in a dilemma. My budget is 6-6.5 can stretch to 7. I test drove the punto but it dint appeal to me, and the waiting period for the polo is 3 months. Please advise.

Though i prefer the polo to the punto, i20 has more features. Im confused and cannot wait long for the car.

Quote:

The points are stated above, If you differ from the stated above please put here. Now its up to the OP or others whether he/they agree/disagree these points.

- Definitely i have flattered by the the exterior look of Punto but when i got inside the car it was just opposite. But that was past and i heard they have improved the interior quality. TD all cars and decide.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey guys,

i want to purchase a new car but am in a dilemma. My budget is 6-6.5 can stretch to 7. I test drove the punto but it dint appeal to me, and the waiting period for the polo is 3 months. Please advise.

Though i prefer the polo to the punto, i20 has more features. Im confused and cannot wait long for the car.
The i20 will suit you if you are looking for looks and features. The car looks smart from outside and interiors are beautiful. The space inside the cabin is excellent. After sales again is good but I did find it exiting to drive. Dont buy it if you enjoy driving. No feedback what so ever. However, it certainly will be reliable.

The Punto looks fabulous from outside but sit inside and one will be put off. The ride quality and handling is good and overall the car is VFM. Features on the blue and me are excellent. Cabin space again is decent. After sales again is debatable. If you are to risk the after sales part, why not risk it with VW.

The polo IMHO is the best looking hatch now in India. The interiors are decent. Ride and handling are also good but the 1.2 engine isnt a scorcher. However, the buit quality is fantastic. Resale and after sales are still to be seen. If you want something new, a real head turner, go for Polo. As you know, its already started to get hot here in Delhi and if you dont have a back up, no point waiting for polo.

If you cant wait, i20 it is for you.

Lastly, if your budget can stretch to 7 lacs, why not have a look at Fiesta. My brother's friend got the new 1.6 S in Feb for about 7.15 lac. It included a corporate discount of 25k. He works with IBM. If you cant get the corporate discount, may be you can look for the Sxi version. That ways you will get a fantastic drivers car with a good 1.6 petrol engine.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

LOL.
Done reading 3 pages and OP has still not confirmed if he wants a diesel of petrol hatchback. Amazing!
I will wait for him 2 state his requirements and then pour in the suggestion.
However, TheEnd has given some good points to consider.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:44   #44
BHPian

i love driving and will be driving on my own at all times. Delhi traffic is a bit of a mess so i want a car with a light clutch. My running is around 2-3000 a month. I travel alot as i stay in Gurgaon, had a swift before, was a beautiful car and had put 17's. i dint like the orignal wheels swift offered.\

Have been driving a corolla for the past year, been sharing it with parents and im used to the way the car is. I would like the car to have headlights with seprate bulbs for the high beam. I can always change after market. The car should be powerful and amazing to drive. You can even suggest something out of the list. I had planned on picking up a second-hand cedia but my parents arent too keen on the idea.

if i pick the polo up il be calling for the euro headlamps and 17's.
Old 8th March 2010, 22:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
i love driving and will be driving on my own at all times. Delhi traffic is a bit of a mess so i want a car with a light clutch. My running is around 2-3000 a month. I travel alot as i stay in Gurgaon, had a swift before, was a beautiful car and had put 17's. i dint like the orignal wheels swift offered.\

Have been driving a corolla for the past year, been sharing it with parents and im used to the way the car is. I would like the car to have headlights with seprate bulbs for the high beam. I can always change after market. The car should be powerful and amazing to drive. You can even suggest something out of the list. I had planned on picking up a second-hand cedia but my parents arent too keen on the idea.

if i pick the polo up il be calling for the euro headlamps and 17's.
With 2-3000 km's Diesel would be sensible. I would go for i20 MagnaCRDI (if you can stretch the budget go for Asta) as it is one of the most powerful cars in the 7L segement. (It has ABS, Rear disc brakes) It will look cool on 17's

Polo is VFM in the trendline petrol model, That will be less than 5L on road.

I do agree punto is a great car, but FIAT made it to fail in Inida. I wish if it was sold and services by Maruti

Last edited by hpzone : 8th March 2010 at 22:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks