Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 16:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Add FIGO to your list of highway cars , it has a great diesel engine, excellent mileage, chiller AC, decent music system & loads of space to carry around your luggage.
Old 15th March 2010, 16:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
You have driven the i-10 , but still did not list in the choices- any reason?
Petrol. On an average, the car will be driving 50km everyday within the city, to office and back. Add that to the highway drives and petrol becomes an insanely expensive option. None of the petrol cars are contenders for that reason.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:15   #33
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharPrabhu View Post
Petrol. On an average, the car will be driving 50km everyday within the city, to office and back. Add that to the highway drives and petrol becomes an insanely expensive option. None of the petrol cars are contenders for that reason.
Gotcha
The in that case Punto OR Figo amongst the new ones.
Manza has good reviews, i own none hence surely my suggestion is not the best, you should only consider experiences of the owners i guess
Old 15th March 2010, 17:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
and when you do, don't forget to compare its suspension as well, with Swift.
Yeah, I have a problem with the suspension of my Swift. But, it offered me the power and made me forget about that. I will definitely compare the suspension AND the power with Punto.

Swift handles the highway surprises gracefully and that made me put Swift in this category and also, the way it helped me overtake other vehicles.
One should mainly look for the POWER, RIDE COMFORT, HANDLING and ECONOMY before selecting/choosing a car for highway travelling. If the car you've selected satisfies at least 3 out of 4 criterias, go for it!

Just in case, if I have missed out any point in this, feel free to add.

Last edited by vinesataris : 15th March 2010 at 17:58.
Old 15th March 2010, 20:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinesataris View Post
Swift handles the highway surprises gracefully and that made me put Swift in this category and also, the way it helped me overtake other vehicles. One should mainly look for the POWER, RIDE COMFORT, HANDLING and ECONOMY before selecting/choosing a car for highway travelling. If the car you've selected satisfies at least 3 out of 4 criterias, go for it! Just in case, if I have missed out any point in this, feel free to add.
How much have you used the Swift on the highways? What speeds have you achieved? And how's the engine noise at high speeds in the Swift? Of course, it doesn't come with a number of safety features that Punto offers, but the Swift is one of the cars I am considering.
Old 15th March 2010, 22:05   #36
BHPian

Tushar, The Ford fiesta is a very good car and have heard it handles better than the Punto. The ride quality is also very good in a Fiesta. However, you might have to stretch your budget a bit for Fiesta.

Among hatchbacks, dont have any second thoughts. It is Grande Punto all the way. You will have to drive it to believe it. The steering is an absolute gem. You are wrong to assume that EPS is better than HPS. When driving on the highway, the weighted steering of the Punto gives you complete control and confidence to drive the vehicle at high speeds. Go for it and you wont regret it

We, as Punto owners have never had any issues with FIAT A.S.S till now.
Old 15th March 2010, 22:08   #37
BHPian

SWIFT should not've been there in your list. We are not indebted to SUZUKIs. Try something different like VW POLO, FORD FIGO, NISSAN MARCH aka MICRA. Anyhow all the best for the new car
Old 15th March 2010, 22:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
SWIFT should not've been there in your list. We are not indebted to SUZUKIs. Try something different like VW POLO, FORD FIGO, NISSAN MARCH aka MICRA. Anyhow all the best for the new car
It's not about being indebted to anyone. But 7 lakhs is a little expensive way of "trying something different". And why should SWIFT not be on the list besides the Suzuki debt? Are there issues with the car, its servicing or other aspects that make others so much more superior to it? Not that I am buying it. Just curious to know why.
Old 15th March 2010, 23:01   #39
BHPian

if you are getting jazz at 6.75 lakhs OTR, i20 crdi asta for 7.5lakhs OTR and honda city SMT at 8lakhs OTR, which one should we buy?
these are the prices for CSD. i20 is not available in CSD so the price is normal.
Old 15th March 2010, 23:09   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
if you are getting jazz at 6.75 lakhs OTR, i20 crdi asta for 7.5lakhs OTR and honda city SMT at 8lakhs OTR, which one should we buy?
these are the prices for CSD. i20 is not available in CSD so the price is normal.
These are Bangalore OTR prices? Jazz in Diesel? Since when?
If this is not related to this thread, should you not be starting a different thread?
Old 16th March 2010, 01:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
These are Bangalore OTR prices? Jazz in Diesel? Since when?
If this is not related to this thread, should you not be starting a different thread?
jazz is not diesel and neither is city. these are CSD prices for gurgaon.
Old 16th March 2010, 01:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
jazz is not diesel and neither is city. these are CSD prices for gurgaon.
Ah ok. Well, this thread is discussing the Diesel Highway Hatchbacks that cost under 7 lakhs, that's why your post struck me as odd.
Old 16th March 2010, 07:49   #43
BHPian

OT. car-dent, at a price lesser than that of Jazz and i20, you will get a fully loaded Linea petrol from CSD (Cost me 6.5 OTR from CSD Chennai), unless you have some apprehensions about Fiat.

Last edited by NutsNBolts : 16th March 2010 at 07:52.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
How much have you used the Swift on the highways? What speeds have you achieved? And how's the engine noise at high speeds in the Swift? Of course, it doesn't come with a number of safety features that Punto offers, but the Swift is one of the cars I am considering.
40K kms in 2yrs. This is my current odo reading. I used it pretty enough to decide it is capable to take over a few vehicles on the highways.
Max speed was 170 a couple of times and once I did 170+ (you can consider it as 175). It is not that the car does not go beyond that (of course I don't know the max speed one can make in that car) but I did'nt have enough guts and road to make 180 on that car. But I'm a little sure one can easily make 180. When driving the car @ 170, I had no vibration issues and handling issues with the car.
Engine is not that noisy at high speeds. Put on the AC and with some music and drive @ 170, I bet you won't be able to make out the speed unless you see the trigger touching the 170 mark.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:41   #45
BHPian

Driven my friends Punto the other day and liked it much. Well, I can say, I liked it as much as I liked the Swift when I took the test drive for the first time. If I did not buy the Swift, I'd now be in a state of confusion whether to buy Swift or Punto. Loved the car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks