Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 23:07   #16
BHPian

Why not the Alto - the xcite version it's some 3L ex-showroom - with power windows and a defogger. I do believe that the alto is the best VFM of the lot. use part of the left over money to get some ICE, and still save 20K or so.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:25   #17
BHPian

I suggest that you stretch your budget a little and go for Ford figo if you can.I don't see a more V.F.M option here than that.But you should be more aware of your pocket than anybody else.Go for it if you can stretch a little.But IMHO it will be worth it.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:30   #18
BHPian

The Figo is a whole 1 lakh costlier. The mid variant is 4.57 on road, Hyd. I'd say go with the Chevy Spark with the great 45000km free maintenance and 3 year extended warranty and the insane discounts. It is a great ride with airy interiors, a stable set of wheels and an A/C that doesn't have to be turned off for more power.
It is another thing that I do not like the way it looks, maybe because it looks like a car for the fairer sex, which is good, for your cousin is female.
Old 11th May 2010, 00:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'd say SPARK!! Its the best of the lot. Moreover, it has GM's maintenance plan too. Santro is a tried and tested product. Its a good car for ladies but, its too dated now. So, I'd recommend the Spark over the ageing Santro.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Are the Spark or Santro BS4 compatible?
Old 11th May 2010, 11:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Why isnt the A-star here ?Doesnt it fall in the same price range?
Old 11th May 2010, 11:42   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
My cousin sister
Spark ?

I know the new WR would be costly because of no discounts, so not considering it.
Didn't the girls fall head over heels with the Matiz? The Spark is newer,better

The WR is good if budget can be stretched a wee bit

Quote:
the Spark might be BS IV, not sure about Santro Uncle
Old 21st May 2010, 15:21   #23

Even my budget is strictly 3.5L, but I got a quote of Rs 3.74 Lacs (Spark LS) non metallic just yesterday from Pashankar Motors (Pune)
Any comments on how fair a deal would that be ?
Old 21st May 2010, 15:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spark is BS4.

From Chevy website.

Quote:
Chevrolet Spark, Spark LPG, Aveo U-VA, Aveo, Optra Magnum petrol, Optra Magnum diesel and Cruze are being upgraded to BS4 levels and will be available from 1st April as per our production schedule.
Reference:
Chevrolet India

Edit: Even Santro is BS4.

Last edited by HammerHead : 21st May 2010 at 15:43.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:13   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from Spark, you can even consider the largest selling car in India (Alto). Its nimble, has PS and AC too.

If its planned to be used for atleast 3-4 years then its a great car to start your driving career ( like most indians do now).
Old 21st May 2010, 16:47   #26
BHPian

I recently bought a Alto Lxi for my parents who are very strict on the 3.5L budget mark after considering all the options discussed here. All said, Alto works out to be cheaper and reliable when we take the total cost of ownership into consideration ( even taking Chevy 3 Yr maintenance free). Alto Lxi BS3 with some free accessories like sun film and remote lock thrown in came to 3.18 on road in Hyderabad.
Old 21st May 2010, 17:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubsmart View Post
I recently bought a Alto Lxi for my parents who are very strict on the 3.5L budget mark after considering all the options discussed here. All said, Alto works out to be cheaper and reliable when we take the total cost of ownership into consideration ( even taking Chevy 3 Yr maintenance free). Alto Lxi BS3 with some free accessories like sun film and remote lock thrown in came to 3.18 on road in Hyderabad.
Care to explain? On the face of it with 3 years free maintenance I cannot fathom how Alto will be more economical? You are also forgetting that Spark comes with a bigger 1 litre engine which makes it safer while overtaking and wouldnt take as much load as the 800 cc engine in the Alto does after you switch on the A/C. Its safer as well.

I would say either the Spark or the Santro.
Old 21st May 2010, 17:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people say that the "3 years free maintenance plan" from Spark is a great deal. On an average, I don't think anyone would spend more than 3000 Rs in maintenance during the first 3 years. I would take this only as a marketing gimmick.

Warranty claims would be the same as in other cars, I guess (If you fry the clutch, they'll not replace it free of cost, right?). That means you are saving on some engine oil and oil filter cost for the first 3 years. That is not a big advantage over other cars, in my opinion.

Bigger engine alone doesn't make a car safer while overtaking. A lot of other factors such as braking stability, steering response and handling (to name a few) also need to be considered.

Note sure whether the Alto is superior in the above respects, but I think Alto is more crash worthy (and hence safer) than the Spark or Santro.

I think the Alto has the least overall cost of ownership compared to Santro and Spark (if you consider a longer duration of ownership, say 7 years). The ride quality is also the best among these (ride is less bumpy). The downside is that the Alto is not as spacious as the other cars, and the power and pick-up is not that great, especially with the a/c on.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 21st May 2010 at 17:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks