Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 09:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

WTB: Family hatchback for 7 lakhs. EDIT: Fabia 1.2 booked

Looking for a 2nd car for the family. My criteria (in that order of importance):

Must have:
- Safe and confidence inspiring (passengers oblivious to bad roads, speedo reading, braking-drama)
- Classy and comfortable cabin (front and rear)
- Versatile driving (driver/self-driven, city/highway, expert/amateur drivers)

Can compromise:
- Mileage, maintenance costs, reliability, budget, etc.

Other details:
Budget - 7 Lakhs. But not more than 10 Lakhs.
Monthly distance - 1000KM approx
Have two kids below 4 yrs

Ideally I would have preferred to buy a used big-car but family members want a small car so they can drive and also the go-any-where convenience.

If I don't like a car in the showroom, I wont like it on the road. This saves me the elaborate test drive sessions. So I visited few dealers along with family:

1. Polo - OUT
I was really hoping this would fit the bill - but rear space is a huge let down. I predict doom for VW Polo. It is neither a family-commuter-car (less space in the rear) nor an enthusiast car (3-pots).

2. Figo TDCI top-end - IN
Neutral. No big let-down in any department, but no WOW in any department either. Ford's homework is thorough I feel. Serious contender. Lack of dead-pedal is terrible, though.

3. Punto - OUT
Some looker!!! WOW. But sorry. Don't think I will enjoy the cabin - steering column is HUGE, rear seats are too upright.

4. Fabia - IN
Meets all my requirements in the showroom. Lovely hatchback (at least in the showroom) My other car is Skoda Laura (old model) so even though my ownership experience has been great, I am not very excited about another Skoda with similar interiors. People will think I work for Skoda or something!! And they stopped sunroof - awful! The engine choices are also not that great when compared to Figo TDCI.

5. Jazz - TODO

So the shortlist is (full family agrees):
Figo TDCI top-end 6.5Laksh on road Bangalore
Fabia 1.2 petrol mid-variant 7 Lakhs on road Bangalore

I know Figo makes sense, but I am looking for a bit more cabin comfort than Figo What other hatchbacks can I consider?

I am not too keen on Maruti/Hyundai/Tata as their DNA lacks cabin-comfort and road manners. Would be happy to check if there are some options with these dealers.

In spite of so much action in the hatchback segment I have not seen a single car that offers both "cabin comfort" and "driving pleasure" - looks like you can only have one of these and not both.

Will post as events unfold.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Figo makes sense, but I am looking for a bit more cabin comfort than Figo What other hatchbacks can I consider?
Honda Jazz is a good contender as far as interior space and dimensions go, but you may need to stretch the budget a little.

Why not check out Hyundai i20 as well? Its got decent interiors, good features list and the diesel is fast too! I also think you can check out the Indigo Manza. Dimensions are not too bigger than a big hatchback, but it does offer a lot of comfort on the inside. (Saw your point that you are not keen on Hyundai/ Tata. But still, better to check it out and then reject?).
Old 20th May 2010, 09:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am not too keen on Maruti/Hyundai/Tata as their DNA lacks cabin-comfort and road manners. Would be happy to check if there are some options with these dealers.
Take a TD of the i20 and it will change your perception. A colleague owns one I was in for a surprise with what the1.2 had to offer on the performance front.

jayd owns a i20 CRDI, check his ownership thread too.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

My best buddy bought a Fabia 1.2 Petrol Mid Variant a week back for 5.65 Lacs On Road in Agra after all discounts. It has Airbags, Music System. I thought it was a very sweet deal.

I'd say TD the i20 CRDi - the new 6 speed one with Blue Lights Inside

Figo - I have not driven one yet BUT they seem to be everywhere and I see them all over the city. Agreed it's a nice looking car.

Jazz is a fantastic car for the city BUT a bit expensive and I think it will cost you more than 8 lacs OTR.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

I will recommend you to have a TD of Jazz. It might fit the bill perfectly.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

My recommendation is Figo (over Fabia.)
What exactly is the expectation in terms of Cabin comfort? does ride quality play a role?
Old 20th May 2010, 12:20   #7
BHPian

For your requirement Jazz will suit the most, however don't write off Hyundai i20. Personally speaking, I would go for Jazz anyday if I have that much Vitamin M. Do a TD for the Jazz, I am sure you will like it
Old 20th May 2010, 12:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
My recommendation is Figo (over Fabia.)
What exactly is the expectation in terms of Cabin comfort? does ride quality play a role?
Figo is a pleasant find. It is at the top of our list. Real VFM.

Cabin comfort: Hmmm..
Space, NVH, Seating comfort, a/c, suspension/ride, up-market feel.

During the showroom visits (same day, one after the other), there were two instances when all of us were excited:
1. When we stepped into FIAT showroom and saw Punto on display. Best looker.
2. When we opened the Fabia doors. Nice build and interiors.

The rest was just routine experience. Will be checking Jazz and i20 by this weekend.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:39   #9
BHPian

I think your final options should be:
1. i20 CRDi Asta (o)
2. Honda Jazz
3. Ford Fiesta
Leave the Fabia out of the picture, it doesn't seem a viable car after a slew of competent hatches have released in the market.

The only reason I'd still inch towards a Fiesta is its a complete driver's car.

Maybe i'm a bit biased towards the i20 cause i own one, but the car really is VFM & goes a long way in satisfying my need for tech inside the car. Steering mounted controls & electric ORVMs included. The newly re-released diesel with its 6th gear makes the package irresistible!
The Honda Jazz will grab eyes, a rarer car on road than the others. Its got its amazing build-quality (even better than its more expensive City), amazing interior space going for it
Old 20th May 2010, 15:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

As musicmaker suggested, i20 fits considering most of your requirements. Cabin space, quality and interiors are top notch and you also have an automatic variant though expensive.
But did you like interiors of figo? I felt it looks cheap. You can no way compare figo's interiors with i20 or even rather i10.
Old 20th May 2010, 15:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Take a TD of the i20 and it will change your perception. A colleague owns one I was in for a surprise with what the1.2 had to offer on the performance front.

jayd owns a i20 CRDI, check his ownership thread too.

Go ahead with i20. The interior gives you a premium feel.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
As musicmaker suggested, i20 fits considering most of your requirements. Cabin space, quality and interiors are top notch and you also have an automatic variant though expensive.
But did you like interiors of figo? I felt it looks cheap. You can no way compare figo's interiors with i20 or even rather i10.
Figo interiors do not look up-market. But it is spacious and built well. Seat fabric felt very good. Extremely good driving position. 1.4 TDCI is a big plus at that price. It is not up-market, but very good VFM without any negatives. If Ford provides good a.s.s, I expect the Figo to do extremely well.

I need to check i20 and Jazz.
Old 20th May 2010, 17:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Highly recommend the i20 for you. As long as you can live with that new silver centre console on the '10 models.
Old 20th May 2010, 17:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmaker23 View Post
I think your final options should be:
1. i20 CRDi Asta (o)
2. Honda Jazz
3. Ford Fiesta
Leave the Fabia out of the picture
Completely agree. Especially after reading all the Skoda horror stories on this forum.
Old 20th May 2010, 17:54   #15
BHPian

My 2 cents:
Fabia: forget it, (I think you have already ruled it out)
Reason: outclassed due to poor engine, no FTD factor

Figo: Much better than Fabia, a sensible choice, lot 0of goodies packed in a smartly priced package, yes truely the ford have done their homework this time around.

I20: Dont rule this car out just yet, fantastic interiors (top end) you should get a sun-roof, check out the diesel its truely awesome. do take a test drive of the I20 for its all four disk brakes, class fit & finish and a powerful diesel.

downside: vague steering and soft suspension at the back.

Jazz: Excellent car will fit your budget too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks