Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

As others pointed out - the new WagonR fits all your requirements to the T. Its one of the most easiest cars to drive in city traffic and now the new one is quite comfortable too. You just can't go wrong with this car.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Why are Hyundai cars not being considered ?

Does your uncle have any past bad experiences with Hyundai ?

Please do consider i10 1.1 and Santro ECO also. Both are excellent city cars.

Rohan

I have a strong feeling that Hyundai's A.S.S. and FE is the primary reason for this. When we bought our Wagon-R, we did a lot of fact finding with people who owned Hyundai's and two things stood out clearly - Poor or expensive A.S.S and bad F.E. Although the cars are nice to drive, smooth engines and transmissions, the 'expensive' service charges (Read latest thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tes-again.html) kept us from even having the Santro in the consideration set.

All said and done, the peace of mind / good FE / affordable service costs and a strong resale value associated with Maruti is what ultimately convinces someone to buy a Maruti. We have 2 Maruti's in our family and for sure the next one (swapped with our 800) will be a Maruti.

These are my personal views as a Maruti loyalist (Hyundai owners may differ in their opinion - I am sure there are a lot of them who are very happy with their cars and A.S.S - Would love to hear their experiences).
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:49   #18
BHPian

In my opinion ask your uncle to take test drive of all the three cars and let himself check the
1. engine responsiveness,
2. pulling power with AC ON in all gears and on slopes,
3. driving seat comfort, dashboard position, all-round visibility,
4. driving ease in city as well as on highways,
5. reversing ease,
6. ride quality and road noise inside the cabin (ask him to sit on the rear seat and check these things),
7. rear seat dimension, under-thigh support, legroom, shoulder room, head room and boot space. (better to take an inch tape and check personally).

All these cars are well engineered and VFM package. In the highly competitive market these days, all manufacturers are trying their best to provide best car and after sale services. So no need to worry about A.S.S. IMHO let your uncle decide which one suits him the most.
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukamath View Post
I have a strong feeling that Hyundai's A.S.S. and FE is the primary reason for this. When we bought our Wagon-R, we did a lot of fact finding with people who owned Hyundai's and two things stood out clearly - Poor or expensive A.S.S and bad F.E. Although the cars are nice to drive, smooth engines and transmissions, the 'expensive' service charges (Read latest thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tes-again.html) kept us from even having the Santro in the consideration set.

All said and done, the peace of mind / good FE / affordable service costs and a strong resale value associated with Maruti is what ultimately convinces someone to buy a Maruti. We have 2 Maruti's in our family and for sure the next one (swapped with our 800) will be a Maruti.

These are my personal views as a Maruti loyalist (Hyundai owners may differ in their opinion - I am sure there are a lot of them who are very happy with their cars and A.S.S - Would love to hear their experiences).
These are all old housewife tales. A Hyundai car is not that expensive to maintain as compared to a Maruti car of similar price.

The only difference is that Hyundai owners speak facts whereas Maruti fanboys shower unnecessary praise for their brand.

If you go through the forum, you would find several instances where Maruti A.S.S. could not solve simple issues even on repeated complaints from the customer and cases where Maruti A.S.S. tried to con customers by suggesting them to replace parts which were not faulty at all.

Still, Maurti A.S.S. is one of the best in the country, but Hyundai is not that far behind, especially in big cities like Bangalore.

Also, since the OP is considering Tata cars inspite of their doubtful A.S.S. , I felt that after Maruti, someone would consider Hyundai before Tata if he is concerned about after sales services and resale value.

Rohan
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
These are all old housewife tales. A Hyundai car is not that expensive to maintain as compared to a Maruti car of similar price.

The only difference is that Hyundai owners speak facts whereas Maruti fanboys shower unnecessary praise for their brand.

If you go through the forum, you would find several instances where Maruti A.S.S. could not solve simple issues even on repeated complaints from the customer and cases where Maruti A.S.S. tried to con customers by suggesting them to replace parts which were not faulty at all.

Still, Maurti A.S.S. is one of the best in the country, but Hyundai is not that far behind, especially in big cities like Bangalore.

Also, since the OP is considering Tata cars inspite of their doubtful A.S.S. , I felt that after Maruti, someone would consider Hyundai before Tata if he is concerned about after sales services and resale value.

Rohan
Hyundai spares have only recently started to be available outside of ASCs. With Maruti, you have the option of getting it fixed outside of the ASC. Same with Tata. I feel that your options are limited when it comes to Hyundai. Then again, I don't have a Hyundai, I just know people who have them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Besides, Hyundai doesn't have a Unique Selling Point. Maruti has service, Tata has value, Hyundai is just average. They make cars that do everything well, but nothing exceptionally. Of late, even the quality is not what it used to be either.

However, I agree with you that a Hyundai i10 or Santro would be a good choice as a first car, though I personally feel that the Santro is too old and boring, and the i10 looks too weird (to me).
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Hyundai spares have only recently started to be available outside of ASCs. With Maruti, you have the option of getting it fixed outside of the ASC. Same with Tata. I feel that your options are limited when it comes to Hyundai. Then again, I don't have a Hyundai, I just know people who have them. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That is a very valid point you have made. For Hyundai cars, you have limited options (as compared to Maruti or Tata cars) if you want to get it serviced outside H.A.S.S.

But most first time car buyers would prefer to go to authorised service centres for routine servicing and repairs. So I feel this is not a major factor, at least in big cities which have multiple Hyundai dealerships. If you are not satisfied with a particular service centre, you can visit other one.

Hence, I suggest Hyundai cars only for big cities like Bangalore. If the car is to be purchased in a smaller town, or meant to be driven a lot on the highways, Maruti is the undisputed leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Besides, Hyundai doesn't have a Unique Selling Point. Maruti has service, Tata has value, Hyundai is just average. They make cars that do everything well, but nothing exceptionally. Of late, even the quality is not what it used to be either.

However, I agree with you that a Hyundai i10 or Santro would be a good choice as a first car, though I personally feel that the Santro is too old and boring, and the i10 looks too weird (to me).
That was very well said - most Hyundai cars don't have a USP. They may not be the cheapest to own, they may not have the best engines, they may not have the best A.S.S. , they may not be the most spacious, they may not be the best handlers, but they do provide the customer with the right tradeoff between all the above-mentioned factors.

Its a personal choice - if you are concerned only about a particular aspect, you can pick a Maruti or a Tata or a Fiat a Ford. But if you want a little bit of everything, then Hyundai is the brand for you.

Rohan
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanjayrao View Post
4. Decent Mileage and good After sales service(important).
Maruti WagonR all the way.

Quote:
7. Features needed PS, AC, PW
Well, that's all Maruti can offer!
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:39   #23
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2010 at 17:37.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th June 2010, 21:07   #24
BHPian

Just my 2 bits of opinion...

I think Beat is a amazing VFM car along with amazing futuristic looks and styling.

Just recently booked the Beat 1.2 LS after checking out all the options available in the new & used cars market.

Some of the cars which i considered were Beat 1.2 LS (which i have now ), Figo EXi, New Maruti Wagon R VXi and Hyundau i10 ERA (1.1L)

i10 was immediately out as there is hardly anything to choose between a Santro & i10 in my opinion (i10 leg space is much less compared to the other 3)

Wagon R well it was utter VFM but somehow the looks dont fancy me and well finish quality compared to the Beat & Figo was a lot to be desired. Only good part about it is Maruti's famed A.S.S.

It was really though for me between the Figo & Beat. Was almost going to book the Figo but the 2 months+ wating period was something which I couldn't wait for. Also though localisation of spares is something which is being bandied around in the media, i really doubt Ford' s capacity to deliver lower cost of ownership to the Figo owners.

Finally the BEAT 1.2 LS amazing VFM+loks+fit n finish. And that's how I ended up going for the Beat.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2010 at 17:38. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 10th June 2010, 19:58   #25
BHPian

@bsanjayrao : Make sure to show the Indigo e-CS to your uncle. My dad and I went to Tata showroom to enquire about Vista once, but as soon he saw the price-tag for the Indigo CS, he didn't even care about the Vista anymore. The sedan look appeals to a lot of people. The Indigo CS is a highly underrated car, especially the petrol variants.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Santro and i10 are overpriced as compared to Beat and Figo. Figo's build quality is exceptional. Beat is a top class performer. To be frank Santro pales in comparison to i10. i10 is a luxurious car no doubt but pricing needs to be relooked.
Old 19th June 2010, 22:10   #27
BHPian

@bsanjayrao, I have a Ford Fiesta 1.6S, believe me the Ford A.S.S is pathetic. After the kind of service experience I have had for the past 2 years I'll never consider a Ford car again. Ford technical teams could not solve a technical problem in my vehicle for 16 months, and just sorted it last week. Infact there were tons of other issues in their service and the approach to sorting things. I intend to post a full article on T-bhp with my scans of service receipts for everyone's benefit. My 3rd car and I haven't ever seen as pathetic A.S.S as Ford service. I definitely wouldn't recommend you to go for the Figo.

I intend to buy a car for my wife in this month, mainly a hatchback for city use, Figo is definitely off the list cos of A.S.S, Chevy Beat put off the list cos of the lack lustre sales team (If they aren't enthusiastic in selling a car, I wonder how the service will be). I feel the WagonR 1.0 VXi is the best deal around, especially compared to the rest of the vehicles for the same amount of money. Plan to book the vehicle in the coming week. Wish you all the best in your hunt, heard there's a waiting period now.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:17   #28
BHPian

Go FIGO

Hi, I understand that you are budgeted in buying the car. Figo is a perfect match, which is delivering all the needs that you have mentioned. Slight extension will definitally help.
Quote:
Thanks spindoc.

One more thing I forgot to mention was that most of the driving would be in Bangalore city. And not too much of highway driving as he has just learned to drive.

Figo seems a good buy the base model comes just with PS and AC.
The next model costs around 4.65 on road in Bangalore which has all the features like PS, AC, front PW's, and even CD player.
He does not want to stretch his budget over 4.5 at any cost.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:43   #29
BHPian

Ford Figo fits perfectly in your budget. But if i were you, i would go for Beat. Its great value for money. Beat LT has lot to offer and all the requirements you are looking for in a car are taken care of. Beat is definitely a head turner with its great macho looks. Figo looks are more classic to me, but this is my personal opinion
Old 1st July 2010, 10:23   #30
BHPian

Folks read this review, pretty good.
"Chevrolet Beat 1.2 LT road test : v/s Competition - Hatch-ing a Plot" dated 24-Jun-2010

Chevrolet Beat 1.2 LT Road Test - v/s Competition - Hatch-ing a Plot - CarWale.com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks