Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 14:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Like I suggested another gent - a brand new bike should do just fine.
Hi there, that other gent is me. And I have myself been a victim of listening to my heart and not to my head. When I first bought my Maruti 800 (second hand), I was spending ALL my salary on the EMI and the petrol bills! Though I don't regret it a bit.

But then, I have experienced both sides of the coin first-hand. I have been spending all my money on the car, and then I have been able to take my family out on many occasions on many long trips as well. So I guess I could argue both sides of the coin equally well.

But my personal advice stands, though I chose the heart over head, it's not a wise choice. It's more of a wild choice.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2010, 12:58   #17

I considered the swift after the santro; i compared the emi+running cost of the santro and the swift and the swift was only dearer by about 1k pm. Considering better safety, looks, drive ability and of course comfort and power the swift seemed like the obvious choice.

As of today i have no financial commitment towards the family/home and can spare the money, once i get married me and my wife's joint income will allow for the vehicles cost, family expenses and ill have about 20k pm to invest/save up. I have the money saved up for the wedding, and so that wont be a problem. Am i listening to my heart more than i ought to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
You mentioned that you will be getting married in a few years. Don't you think it would be better to save some more money before getting married. Marriage celebration is an expensive affair.
You mentioned that your combined salary would get increased after getting married, but at the same time your expenses would also be increased. Please take this into account.
My monthly commitment towards the home as of today is zero, and will kick in to the tune of 20k once i get married

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
A pre-owned car can also be considered.
This was indeed my first consideration, although Im a bit paranoid as i dont really know anything about a car, and dont know a trusty mechanic either. It would be dam easy for some con artist to sell me a lemon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
My advice would be to invest the savings (Ulips, term insurance, MFs or even FDs would do) for short to long term (read 3-10 years, 30 years in case of term insurance). Make your money earn for you. Instead of spending half the salary on owning and running a car, invest that 15K amount so it earns you money. Get a new car after you get married. This way you can gift yourself a new car on marriage, your missus will be happy to be riding in a brand new set of wheels and you will have enough earnings to offset some of the expenditure on the car. Remember a car is not an asset or an investment, but an expenditure.
Certainly a good idea, and something i will seriously consider, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
From my personal experience, i have noticed that suggestions that go against our aspirations or strong-urges always seem incorrect and our heart tells us that everything will fall into place. But there is a considerable amount of risks, one should always be prepared for. And, trust me, if you are patient today, it will pay tomorrow and someday you will be thanking your stars (and TeamBHP) for the decision.
True that

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But at your income/commuting, a bike makes eminent sense.
As of now my current means of transportation is a bike, in fact three of them to be precise
I have been advised by the docs and my family (more like forced) to purchase a car as i cant ride anymore following a knee injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_chill View Post
Only the Chevy Spark is a real option in my analysis
I cant really consider a small car, Im very uncomfortable in the spark, im 6 feet tall and quite big built (read plump)

Im really overwhelmed with all the responses and how much time you guys have taken out to help me, I must say i am really impressed and grateful!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 10th June 2010, 11:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.mcgreggor View Post
Thanks for the replies guys

Eddy, you certainly have a point, which car would you suggest?
A lil info on my financial state:
Salary: 35k pm (4.5L pa)
Bills (mobile, internet): 2k pm (24k pa)
Expenditure on knick knacks: 3k pm (36k pa)
The rest can be divided between savings and the car's emi and fuel expenses.

Will be getting married in Dec 2011, joint income will be about 60k pm (~7L pa). Already have a house, so no expenses on homeloans/rent. Cost of running the home is currently not borne by me, but will be once i get married, monthly household expenditure will be to the tune of 20k pm (2.4L pa).

My only parameter when it comes to a car is comfort (im about 6 feet tall, with a nice big santa clause tummy) and safety on the highway (bi-weekly round trips of about 350kms with mom and the to be missus)

Cheers,
Dave
As per your financial background, I think you are pretty much healthy to buy a premium hatch. Now the question to address is which car. The point is if you are in love with Punto, just go for it. Its a wonderful machine. Also if you are a "torque" loving guy, then do stick on to a diesel. The stories of non availability of spares will not be that relevant now since manufacturing of most of the spares are now done in India in Tata-Fiat joint factory. Regarding service, I do feel it depends on your locality. From the experience of owning a TATA vehicle (FIAT use tata service), I can definitely say that. I have been to 4-5 different service centers in the tenure of 5 years with the car and all of them had given me above average or good treatment. So it all depends on the locality. What I suggest is enquire about the quality of service of your local A.S.S. I think some T-BHPians in your locality can definitely help you on this regard. Happy revving.
Old 10th June 2010, 12:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
If you have fallen in love with Punto, then there is no question! Just go for her. .
That's it. If you go ahead and buy the Swift now, you'll not be happy when you see another Punto on the road.

Spares : They won't become expensive even if Punto goes the Palio way. I have a Palio and Punto, Palio spares still aren't expensive.

Quote:
The Punto boasts of a service interval of 15k kms, is this practical or just a marketing gimmick? I’m sure I would have to visit the showroom for small creaks and other issues. Fiat has improved their *** no doubt, however is it a wise option for a newbie to opt for anything other than a Maruti?
No is it not. The initial oil change itself is at 15K Kms. Mine has done 8000+, will be taking the car for service by 15K Kms only.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th June 2010 at 12:34.
Old 10th June 2010, 12:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Punto boasts of a service interval of 15k kms, is this practical or just a marketing gimmick? I’m sure I would have to visit the showroom for small creaks and other issues. Fiat has improved their *** no doubt, however is it a wise option for a newbie to opt for anything other than a Maruti?
If the manufacturer recommends an interval of 15 K, you can safely stick to the same. Also unless the car has some major manufacturing defect or is a classic case of poor workmanship, you shouldn't have to visit the service centre again and again.

If you are sure to keep the car around for the next 4-5 years, go ahead with a new car. But remember you are going to be married, and women have a way of influencing many of the decisions of men. So if you are only going to have a car for the next 2-3 years and would go for a brand new car after marriage, it would make sense to consider a cheap used car.

While for new cars there may be several options to choose from, I would suggest if you are going for a used car, stick to the well known VFM brands such as Maruti or Hyundai. You will get peace of mind and a better resale value after you are done with them.
Old 10th June 2010, 19:07   #21

Quote:
But remember you are going to be married, and women have a way of influencing many of the decisions of men.
Luckily iv been smart enough to consult with her, shes open to either car.

Im pretty sure im going to be going in for the Swift, lower maintenance, cheaper spares and a wider dealer network (for when im travelling) outweigh the lust for the Punto

Head:1
Heart: 0

Thanks everyone..
Old 11th June 2010, 08:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Im pretty sure im going to be going in for the Swift, lower maintenance, cheaper spares and a wider dealer network (for when im travelling) outweigh the lust for the Punto

Thanks everyone..
If you have already made up your mind, then I have nothing more to add, but the Punto's spares are actually cheaper than the Swift. Also, you don't buy a car everyday, and the Punto is a great little car. Nothing other than the Polo comes close.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:36   #23
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2010 at 13:18.
bhp_maniac is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th June 2010, 10:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
My only parameter when it comes to a car is comfort (im about 6 feet tall, with a nice big santa clause tummy)
You seem to be my twin

My 2 cents, I have been driving a santro, while I have been on an expansion spree (sideways).

In-case I am driving no one, but children can sit right behind me. While checking cars, I push the drivers seat right back, and then go and sit in the rear. If I am comfortable, that car is short-listed.

The Punto was cramped, the Swift was ok, nothing better. No hatchback, apart from Getz (discontinued) or the Vista (family vetoed it out), i20 (too expensive).

So went and got a used baleno, an amazing drive, got it with what my down-payment was gonna be, so no EMI and also kept the santro, as 2nd car.

Its not that we drive with a car with 5 people, but now if I do, in the Baleno, I now everyone will be comfortable.

PS. I love the Punto.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

the Swift is a better option.
you can fit the additionals : good tires, alloys, keyless entry etc.

i didnt feel to convinced with punto build quality/service/in car feel, felt pretty sluggish on a highway.. not a car that u want to jump into n drive 60km everyday!
the swift D is a joy to drive.. and is a much safer buy
Old 11th June 2010, 12:26   #26
BHPian

I would suggest a brand new Swift Petrol VXi, and some amount per month on a nice gym with personal training... it will go a great way to get you prepared for the wedding next year.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks everyone..
Well, now that you have decided to spend big, explore the option of paying from your pocket rather than taking a loan. If you do go for a loan, keep the tenure to as low as 3 years and try to make as big a downpayment as you can. This way, you will save on a lot of interest money.

Once you purchase the car, the price of the car + insurance + registration and whatever other expenditure you have incurred has already been taken out of your pocket (though spread over a few months in case of loan EMIs). If you keep the loan exposure to the minimum you will save a lot of money in the long run. To know how much you can save, take the loan amount and add up all the EMIs that you are going to pay over the loan tenure. The difference between the two would be the interest you are going to save.
Old 11th June 2010, 19:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Which part of Punto you felt to be cramped compared to Swift?
Did i mention i have clown sized feet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
I would suggest a brand new Swift Petrol VXi, and some amount per month on a nice gym with personal training... it will go a great way to get you prepared for the wedding next year.
Innovative idea, after my accident i cant afford to put any undue pressure on my leg.. working out or running is a big no no.. and as far as walking goes, i love walking my mutt.. nice time to bond with the ol chap

Quote:
To know how much you can save, take the loan amount and add up all the EMIs that you are going to pay over the loan tenure. The difference between the two would be the interest you are going to save.
As always a very informative answer, thanks Honeybee
Old 14th June 2010, 12:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

David, if you have decided upon the Swift anyway, may I suggest you take a TD of the K-Series Petrol as well ?
The goodies including safety features you get along with the ZXi along with its not too bad FE + around 50k savings right away make it a worthwhile buy.

I bought one last month and seems pretty satisfactory till date.
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...delivered.html)
Old 6th June 2011, 18:40   #30
BHPian

Re: Punto vs. Swift - Cost of ownership

Dear David,
Whats the status now,Whether you got the car or not.
Dont confuse yourself,I have gone through your thread.Why are you so much confused,
We all can share the ideas and thats only from our perspective.You are one who need to take a decision.I dont know why you change your ideas ,when any one post their comments. (Sorry really if it hurts anyone)..

Thinking about the future is a very good one,but dont think it too much,Because it will spoil our dreams.

Happy to see you with a New GP..All the best..Life is to live and enjoy it.

Note : This is only from my point of view.

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 6th June 2011 at 18:42. Reason: Change
dmaheshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks