Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car do you like??
Alto 94 31.86%
Spark 205 69.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 15:18   #16
kkg
BHPian

I don't want to compare the spark with alto. Its in the league of santro and wagon r. If GM plans for 800CC motor in the future, then the comparison would be fair. Anyways, Spark beats Alto in all areas except FE and Resale values. The boot is also Better. And yes Alto's AC is a chiller, no doubt about that.Apart from these Spark is way way ahead.

For people talking of alto's FE on the highway, just remember the feeling you have with four people on board with AC on and suddenly you have to overtake. I don't even want to talk about it.

BTW, MR. Harish spill the beans and tell us your favorite ( no FE based decisions please).

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd June 2010 at 16:47.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
For people talking of alto's FE on the highway, just remember the feeling you have with four people on board with AC on and suddenly you have to overtake. I don't even want to talk about it.
Tell me about it. I was in this exact same situation when I was driving my friend's Alto from Blr to Cochin. I had to switch off AC whenever I wanted to overtake/accelerate quick. AC acts like a break as I mentioned earlier. In contrast, my underpowered Palio 1.2 with all that weight it lugs around doesn't have this problem as severe as that in Alto.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th June 2010 at 15:48.
Old 15th June 2010, 18:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Tell..... underpowered Palio 1.2 with all that weight it lugs around doesn't have this problem as severe as that in Alto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I

For ....

the beans and tell us your favorite (no FE based decisions please)......
This is because Alto has 110cc compressor(of WagonR) & when it kicks in, it is left with only almost Nano power & super cooling). It loses 2-4ps of power with A/C. That's why the FE with A/C substantially differs than without.Even the 1000cc Zen had 90cc compressor.

I bought it knowing(& experiencing) all of the above listed problems and I still don't think I made a wrong choice, even if I don't consider FE as a primary factor.

Harish has chosen Alto himself(see poll results)
Old 15th June 2010, 18:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Other than A.S.S and FE (coz of 800CC engine) there is nothing great about ALTO.

As others mentioned even I do not like Korean cars and was not even considering Spark when I was in the market for a small cars. But took a test drive and compared it with the ALTO in all aspects and decided to go for Spark+3 yr free maint package. But people from small towns may find it difficult to access GM's service centres, ALTO is a best bet for them.

Check my garage for Sparky interior and exterior pics. Way ahead of ALTO!!
Old 15th June 2010, 18:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wow 70% for spark and 30% for Alto. My personal Fav after driving both these babies for about 1.4 lac kms in total ( 90 K Alto and 47 K Spark ) is Alto.

Although Spark has atleast a ton of xtra features than Alto but somehow ( excluding the FE) Alto takes the cake for reliability , maintenance and a personal attachment ( it saved my life multiple times )

I know it's a very debatable decision but one of my primary reason to start this discussion was to help the fellow BHPiams/their fiends make a wise decision after seeing all the pros and cons of both these beauties.
Old 15th June 2010, 22:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Wow 70% for spark and 30% for Alto. My personal Fav after driving both these babies for about 1.4 lac kms in total ( 90 K Alto and 47 K Spark ) is Alto.
Like many "polls" on this forum, the results often differ from ground realities. In May, Alto sold 25,340 cars, compared to 2,812 Sparks. Translated into a "sales poll" between the two cars, the Alto would have grabbed a whopping 89% of the sales, compared to Spark's 11%.

The spark for the Spark seems restricted to this forum. It's an Alto-gether different story for the general Indian, even though the Spark may claim a zillion features more than the Alto.

But then, everyone is entitled to love one of the two cars.
Old 15th June 2010, 22:43   #22
BANNED

i dont belive GM even now,better to go for ALto though it is old now
Old 15th June 2010, 22:53   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
i dont belive GM even now,better to go for ALto though it is old now

We own a 2000 Matiz. A GM product, an predecessor of Spark.

Till date the car is stock, a great Value for money and a perfectly no-nonsense car.

Few of our relatives and some friends drive the Spark, and many other relatives and friends drive the Alto.

Those who drive the Spark, feels, "What more can you get at this price.The car is just brilliant."

1) Airy feel
2) Well Built
3) Best A/C in its segment, does not convert the car from a Bull to a Buffalo.
4) Comfortable
5) Spacious
6) Low on maintenance

And those who drive the Alto say , "Wish Maruti had done this, and a little bit of that for the price paid"

1) Claustrophobic
2) Tacky interiors, bad plastics
3) Put on the A/C, you'll feel you are towing an Amby behind you in Second gear
4) Bouncy and less comfortable
5) 4 seater by force
6) Cheap to maintain
Old 15th June 2010, 23:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
This is because Alto has 110cc compressor(of WagonR) & when it kicks in, it is left with only almost Nano power & super cooling). It loses 2-4ps of power with A/C. That's why the FE with A/C substantially differs than without.Even the 1000cc Zen had 90cc compressor.
OT, but retro Palio also has a 110cc compressor. As you are a ex-Palio owner, you know about its cooling power too, it is just chilling even on a hot day! Even new Fiats can't match the cooling provided by Palio. A 110 cc compressor belted to an Alto engine was not a good idea.

Coming back to topic, a car is mainly meant to be driven than to enjoy the super cool AC. If the Ac is great but it eats up all the power which one needs to drive, then what's the use.

Alto is better than Spark if FE is the one and only requirement.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th June 2010 at 23:28.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Was never comfortable with tall boys anyway. I'll go with the Alto.
Old 16th June 2010, 01:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Coming back to topic, a car is mainly meant to be driven than to enjoy the super cool AC. If the Ac is great but it eats up all the power which one needs to drive, then what's the use.

I also think that it completely depends on an individual as to what benefits he wants out of the car he owns. For eg an oldie looking forward to buy his first car may not be wanting speed and performance so would just go for good cooling pooled in with mileage and reliability - hence the Alto is absolutely a safe bet not denying the fact that even the younger lot would go for it considering other things like looks.

I also think that Alto scores over Spark in terms of looks with a bit of modification like alloys , Zen type RVM's. I also know a lot of people who chose Alto over Spark only for the looks claiming that Spark was more of a feminine car.

My wife had a great influence on me buying the spark as i primarily bought it for her but i had 2 conditions - 1 ) Black color 2) I'll be installing alloys
Old 16th June 2010, 02:33   #27
BHPian

It is indeed a very tough call as many or I should most of us take either of the 2 cars in the start of one's career so that they can learn and upgrade to a bigger one once we are comfortable driving on our lovely roads and traffic.
Harish we would like to know which car has better highway manners and reliability in case one plans to go out for that long weekend trip as in city every cars is always in its best mood.
Also how is the resale of the spark now. I hope it should have improved based on its features (as evident from polls here)
Old 16th June 2010, 03:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
It is indeed a very tough call as many or I should most of us take either of the 2 cars in the start of one's career so that they can learn and upgrade to a bigger one once we are comfortable driving on our lovely roads and traffic.
Harish we would like to know which car has better highway manners and reliability in case one plans to go out for that long weekend trip as in city every cars is always in its best mood.
Also how is the resale of the spark now. I hope it should have improved based on its features (as evident from polls here)
talking about highways the spark takes the vote hands down , what with my wife driving at speeds over 140 kmph for over 70 kms on the ahmedabad xpressway and me doing belaum mum stretch of 450 kms in 5.5 hours with no hassles at all with ac on.

The only flip side being the mileage.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
OT, but retro Palio also has a 110cc compressor. As you are a ex-Palio owner, you know about its cooling power too, it is just chilling even on a hot day! Even new Fiats can't match the cooling provided by Palio. .......
If the Ac is great but it eats up all the power which one needs to drive, then what's the use.

Yes, you're right, Palio had everything, there's always something featurewise with it that no other car seems to have, it seems like the perfect recipe for cars. I did not upgrade to Punto only because of build quality & that there was a first time driver in the family.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

A perfect comparison will be only a 1000 cc Alto Vs the Spark. If such a car were available (such as Alto VXi), I don't think the Spark will compare very well. Remember, even the "down in the dumps" A-Star out sells the Spark.

I notice from the poll that the OP who owns both has voted for the Alto!

Even if an 800 cc Spark enters the market, I don't think it can come anywhere near the Alto numbers. May be if the Spark was a Maruti product, sales would have gone through the roof! Even if it had remained as the Matiz, sales would have been better. It will take a long time for customers to believe in GM. Nobody is going to forget the Opel in a hurry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks