Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car do you like??
Alto 94 31.86%
Spark 205 69.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 10:32   #31
BHPian

I saw an Alto in my building last week - found out it has a new registration from the RTO of my area. However, it did not have the charm of a NEW SPARKling car!
Old 16th June 2010, 13:07   #32
kkg
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
May be if the Spark was a Maruti product, sales would have gone through the roof! /QUOTE]

That speaks for itself. most of us are such obsessed with maruti that we can not accept that there can be better products at the same price. But again there are some who can see that.

One more thing, A star has outselled Spark only twice or thrice. For me its not a defeat but a kind of victory in itself.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

If the question is "Would you take Alto or Spark, if there are no budget restrictions?", the answer would be Spark. Clearly a better car than the Alto. No doubt about that.

But to compare both is not really right. The Spark should be compared to other tallboys like Estilo, WagonR, Santro etc, not with Alto.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

why can't we just let the sales figures decide which is the better overall car to own ?
Old 16th June 2010, 13:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
why can't we just let the sales figures decide which is the better overall car to own ?
No,no,how can we, when the market is full of nincompoops who don't know what is good for them!
Old 16th June 2010, 13:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What makes you think that the sales figures alone can indicate which car is better? In sales volumes, is there any competition to Maruti? Does that mean those cars are superior to all others in the segment? Please think about it.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th June 2010 at 13:49.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar
You can and it is quite logical because if a car sells more, obviously it has to be better (overall) than the competition. But again, it would be wrong to compare sales of the Alto against that of Spark. Compare sales of Spark with other tall-boys.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If that's was the case, this forum would be useless . Do you really think sales figures alone can decide which car is better and good to own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But to compare both is not really right. The Spark should be compared to other tallboys like Estilo, WagonR, Santro etc, not with Alto.
That's exactly what I feel. Its like comparing DZire to Honda city and then concluding DZire is better then the City cause it sells more . If at all you want to compare Alto, it would be M800 or may be a Nano.

IMO Spark is even better then Estilo, WagonR and Santro!!

Last edited by HammerHead : 16th June 2010 at 14:07.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Few months ago when we were deciding to buy a car in the 3.5L budget, we were considering an Alto only. Was not sure whether to wait for BS4 or take the BS3 Alto.

Posted a query here after which i was suggested the Spark. Went to check out the Spark and there was no looking back at the Alto for us. Spark had better interiors with lots of cubby holes, ride quality was way better, engine was a lot refined and in general the whole car as a package appealed to us compared to the Alto. Thanks to t-bhpians who answered my queries on PM and helping me decide on the Spark.

So my vote for the Spark.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A perfect comparison will be only a 1000 cc Alto Vs the Spark. If such a car were available (such as Alto VXi), I don't think the Spark will compare very well. Remember, even the "down in the dumps" A-Star out sells the Spark.
My dad drives an Alto VX 1.1, no doubts its a fun to drive car but refinement is where it loses. Spark is a much refined car compared to Maruti and would never expect this comfort from a tiny car.

When it comes to fuel efficiency, I think it doesnt make much difference with 1.1 Alto. Our Alto 1.1 returns 14Kmpl in mixed driving with AC.

Alto 1.1 is super powered and can overtake almost anything, Spark is not as quick as 1.1 but has adequate power to drive around in City as well as Indian highways.

Alto 1.1 loses again when it comes to safety, I never try beyond 100kmph due to fear though it can do 140kmph easily. Old Zen is a star here due to its road mannerism. Spark feels much safe in sharp turns and high speeds compared to Alto 1.1.

Forgot about AC, our 1.1's AC is the best among other cars in the stable. Not sure if our 800cc Altos have same ACs. Spark which I drove was not cooling me like the Alto.

Have'nt driven or travelled in AStar, so not able to comment.

Last edited by jacs : 16th June 2010 at 14:30.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

The Spark is definitely a better product than the Alto and I am not saying this coz I own one. Infact I tested the A-star, Alto and the Spark in which the Alto was a distant third and about equal points and even a slight nod to the A-star. But eventually 3.3L on road and the 3 year cashless service warranty from GM tilted me in favor of the Spark. If you live in a city where GM has its service station its a pretty safe bet to go for a Spark. The only thing that would tilt me towards an Alto is if you absolutely don't have the budget or if the GM service station is like hundreds of kms away.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post

That's exactly what I feel. Its like comparing DZire to Honda city and then concluding DZire is better then the City cause it sells more . If at all you want to compare Alto, it would be M800 or may be a Nano.

IMO Spark is even better then Estilo, WagonR and Santro!!
Well i really don't think the comparison is too vague as most of the people i know in personal life and on the forum here have this confusion of choosing b/w these 2 cars. i know there is some difference in terms of engine capacity , pricing etc but somehow most of the people are still confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The Spark is definitely a better product than the Alto and I am not saying this coz I own one. Infact I tested the A-star, Alto and the Spark in which the Alto was a distant third and about equal points and even a slight nod to the A-star. But eventually 3.3L on road and the 3 year cashless service warranty from GM tilted me in favor of the Spark. If you live in a city where GM has its service station its a pretty safe bet to go for a Spark. The only thing that would tilt me towards an Alto is if you absolutely don't have the budget or if the GM service station is like hundreds of kms away.
A very valid argument. I missed out on the 3 years cashless service feature when i bought my spark maybe due to which i've been feeling the brunt :(

Also no one here has spoken about the looks department of Spark compared to that of an alto which i personally think is also a very important factor while buying a car. I don't know about other states but majority of Delhi buyers needle goes towards a particular car depending on the looks too.

Last edited by harishnayak : 16th June 2010 at 18:48. Reason: addition
Old 16th June 2010, 18:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
What makes you think that the sales figures alone can indicate which car is better? In sales volumes, is there any competition to Maruti? Does that mean those cars are superior to all others in the segment? Please think about it.
It may not be superior but as i mentioned overall it would be a better car to buy.Cars are not just about interior space and plush feel of plastics or whatever but for the Indian consumer are also about FE,Particality,low cost of maintainance etc much of the things the Alto can brag about.I am not sure but doesn't the Honda City outsell the SX4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
If that's was the case, this forum would be useless . Do you really think sales figures alone can decide which car is better and good to own?
I would prefer to buy a car which sells better simply because i will be assured of spares,service etc with least bit of hassles especially if it's in the budget car segment.

Best selling may not be the best in class but it is the best value for money.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4) A single factor that tilted the scale against the Spark in my biased mind - Korean product. That is what it is, despite the Chevy badge.
Pardon my ignorance. Why so? Whats wrong with the Koren Product? Hyundai is not korean company?

Remember the Matiz was also from the same Daewoo and its such a nice vehicle even now.

Quote:
I would prefer to buy a car which sells better simply because i will be assured of spares,service etc with least bit of hassles especially if it's in the budget car segment.

Best selling may not be the best in class but it is the best value for money.
+1. Rightly put.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:06   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

M800 < Zen < Alto < A-Star

Matiz < Spark < Beat

Both cars which have their respective replacements also selling in the same market and still we discuss on which of these Old ladies in new clothes are better

Happens only in India. And why not? All we want is more bang for buck!

Having said that, Car for car the Spark is a LOT better car for the asking price.

However when we bring Brand Value and FE, Alto wins! Who can beat Maruti in that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks