Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Please read the below requirements and vote.
Ford Figo TDCi Titanium 42 39.62%
Hyundai i20 1.2 Petrol Asta 7 6.60%
Hyundai i20 1.4 CRDi Asta 34 32.08%
Honda Jazz 23 21.70%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 19:57   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford Figo TDCi v/s Hyundai i20 CRDi v/s Hyundai i20 1.2 v/s Honda Jazz

Hey Guys,

I am writing this thread with a heavy heart.
My father is thinking about replacing our 2006 Ford Fiesta TDCi done about 63,000 kms.

Our requirements for the new car are:
- Must be a hatchback
- Primarily for city drives, as we have other bigger cars for highway and airport trips. Therefore ease of driving and parking is important.
Also, this should be a car that can be driven by everyone.
- Must be spacious. I am 6'2", and when I take this car out with friends, they should be able to sit behind me.
- Should be comfortable to be chauffeured around in. We have guests over at our place quite frequently, and this car would be used by them.
- Should be fun to drive! I do see myself driving this when I go out with friends.

Our choices have been narrowed down to:
- Ford Figo TDCi Titanium: Simply because it is VFM, fun to drive, and a superb city car! Also, I would be able to choose my own alloys and tyres.

- Hyundai i20 CRDi and 1.2 P: I love the interiors, and pricing isn't all that bad, especially in comparison to the Jazz! The CRDi seems fun to drive too!

- Honda Jazz: Meets all our requirements to the T. But at the same time, it is quite expensive and that is the only reason I am a bit hesitant about it. However, we are getting it at the same price as the i20 CRDi thanks to the Rs. 55,000 discount being offered.

I also looked at the Punto, but the interior quality and space was a big problem. Same with the Maruti's. Though I would love to see a white Swift with white alloys and black tints parked downstairs. Also, the ride quality of Ritz and Swift wasn't too great.

Please let me know your views. Budget really isn't an issue, and neither is petrol v/s diesel. But I would like a car that offers some value.

EDIT: We will be keeping the car for 7-8 years.

Last edited by lamborghini : 24th June 2010 at 20:13.
Old 24th June 2010, 20:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

If budget is not a constraint then Jazz is a good option. It suits all your requirement to a T except the driveability part. The 1.2 litre engine although good on paper needs to be really whipped to perform, more so when there are passengers in the car and A/C is turned on. The Figo and i20 CRDi on the other hand would be effortless to drive and will suit most of your requirements.

If I was you I would look at Figo very seriously simply because it gives me all that I need skipping on the pizza's at a very affordable price tag. i20 on the other hand looks nicer and is a lot more upmarket but isnt as fun to drive and the A/C performance leaves a lot to be desired.

All said and done Figo it would be for me and I will also save a couple of lakhs over competing cars.
Old 24th June 2010, 20:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

That is exactly what the head is saying! A Figo makes perfect sense. Hope it fits the space requirement. Have called for a TD tomorrow.

Will be checking out the i20 tonight. I had discounted it earlier, but the more I look at it, the more sense it makes.

The Jazz on the other hand, seems to make even lesser sense every time I think about it. While I was bowled over by the space and ease of maneuverability, I keep on having second thoughts every time I see the Figo or i20. The only thing that is currently drawing me towards the Jazz is the space, and ready delivery.
Old 25th June 2010, 03:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Figo is a decent performer , with good handling characteristics. I will choose the Figo as it is the best value for money.
Jazz is a very cool car but it is not priced well , that's the only problem with it.
Old 25th June 2010, 03:55   #5
BHPian

Fida to Figo would be a good option. Why not another fiesta ?
Old 25th June 2010, 09:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@Moonraker: I am so tempted by the Fiesta 1.6 S, one never knows.
However, hatch would be ideal as I would not be driving the car much.

Even I think the Figo is a good option, but dad seems interested in the i20 A/T, which is even more expensive than the Jazz. Almost 2L more than the i20 1.2 Asta, just for a slightly bigger engine, and the A/T gearbox!

@tj: Have called for a Figo TD today.
Old 25th June 2010, 10:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@Moonraker: I am so tempted by the Fiesta 1.6 S, one never knows.
However, hatch would be ideal as I would not be driving the car much.

Even I think the Figo is a good option, but dad seems interested in the i20 A/T, which is even more expensive than the Jazz. Almost 2L more than the i20 1.2 Asta, just for a slightly bigger engine, and the A/T gearbox!

@tj: Have called for a Figo TD today.
The Fiesta 1.6S is one heck of a car, full of character with real handling abilities and a stonker of an engine. Given an 8 lakh rs budget I would buy the Fiesta in a heart beat and enjoy the drive, fuel efficiency and 0-100 kph timing be dammed.
Think about the 1.6S seriously my friend, you wont regret it.
Old 25th June 2010, 11:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@extreme: I know I won't, and I really want that car. If it was a car that I would be using every single day, then it would be the 1.6 S in White or Morello. No doubts!
But I just can't see a 60 year old driver, driving it around with my grand mother on the back seat. Or even using it to go pick up vegetables with the cook or delivering slightly heavy goods to other people's houses.
I will be using this car only 4-5 hours a week after the first year, as I would be taking the Skoda to work. I would rather risk this car to be parked on the road or used to ferry kids and vegetables and other family members than the Skoda.
And even during the first year, I would use it for 2 months continuously as I would be travelling most of the time.

See, the thing is that as of now, I keep on taking the fiesta that we have to work everyday, or to meet my friends all the time. Therefore, at home, since the Skoda is generally kept parked underground, which is a ***** to take out, the Merc is used to do some odd chores in the house. The whole point is to have a small car, which can do the household chores, ferry people, and be driven by me, my driver, and some close family members if required.
Hence, the choices are limited to the Figo TDCi Titanium, Hyundai i20 Asta A/T.

The Jazz has been voted out, and the i20 would only be in A/T, as dad prefers A/T.

BTW, how good is Shreeji Ford in Thane? They have a car and color I want ready with them.

Last edited by lamborghini : 25th June 2010 at 11:33.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

[quote=lamborghini;1953136
BTW, how good is Shreeji Ford in Thane? They have a car and color I want ready with them.[/quote]

Shreeji Ford is good in terms of delivery and after sales service. They also have the TD vehicles readily available. I had visited the showroom and the staff is good in terms of customer service. Only thing that needs to be checked out is the cost of vehicles as well as the discounts offered with the negotiation skills. I had read in one of the thread of Ford Fiesta who had actually TDed the vehicle from Shreeji but bought it in Mumbai. Maybe the deal offered did not meet the expectations.
You need to personally check out the same.
Old 25th June 2010, 13:45   #10
BHPian

@ghodlur,
I also took the TD of FIGO from Shreeji FORD Thane. They are a bit hesitant in giving price consessions. In fact they have a good customer service executives and the accessories expert is also good.

I am trying to get a good price for my LOGAN from them. I have not shown my car to their used car person yet. I am going to do it tomorrow and will try to see if they are ready to give some price reduction or some accessories. I will update this as soon as I done meeting with them.
Old 26th June 2010, 13:49   #11
anb
BHPian

I think Honda Jazz is the best car for you. It is very spacious and easy to drive and very comfortable to be driven in.
Old 26th June 2010, 19:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

If it will be chauffeur driven most of the time, and you have a Skoda for the thrills, then why not consider the Vista? Best passenger comfort and space.
Old 26th June 2010, 20:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My two cents. Chauffeured rear passengers are going to miss power windows in the Figo!!
Old 27th June 2010, 00:32   #14

Hey you look to be in a situation that matches a shade or two with mine
The Figo Petrol isnt very spirited performer, but one can always down shift and push hard. Ride and handling perfect. Could only TD petrol today. Hopefully diesel TD will happen tomorrow.
Havent taken i20 TD, hopefully that will happen tomorrow.

Now for petrol Figo Exi, and i20 Era, its 70k premium for i20, same feature set, better fuel efficiency but i20 gives an almost big car feel from outside and inside. Apart from Jazz i dont think any hatch can match its interiors, space and feel

The other option id Figo Exi diesel for 30k premium over i20. You get a complete drivers car, but i am not sure it is what you want looking at ur requirements.

And if A/T is required then the decision should be made.. i20.

Other wise i see a battle between head (Figo) and heart (i20). The Figo impresses with its VFM, ride, handling and engine in case of diesel. i20 simply takes ones breath away with its looks both outside and inside and the big car feel inside

Hopefully i will be able to add more value to your thread after the i20 and diesel Figo TDs tomorrow

Keep updating the progress you make on the decision

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2010 at 12:50. Reason: Strictly no more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 27th June 2010, 15:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,

After a lot of head banging, and thinking, we have come to the conclusion to keep the fiesta with us for a longer time.
As of now, I am planning on getting her serviced with synthetic oil, an engine flush, some minor work done. Also, looking at the option of an audio upgrade and a full polish in December once the rains stop.

However, Sharma, thread is all yours!

After TD the i20 Petrol, I know exactly what you mean. The car was a superb city car!
However, for the price of the i20 Era, you are getting a much more loaded Figo, which is no doubt a better overall car. It may lack the size and premium factor of the i20, but it has better ride/handling, better visibility, and more features!
However, the heart would still lie with the i20 simply for the premium feel it gives you.

In our case, we buy all our cars with our heart. However, given the requirements we had, it was going to be a car bought with the head for us. The figo came quite close to being our choice simply because it appealed to both, though more to the head than the heart.

Last edited by lamborghini : 27th June 2010 at 15:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks