Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:07   #1
BHPian

Paid advance for Palio S10 in a hurry. Now in 2 minds!

Good day to all.
For the past 2 months,I am in hunt for a very good driver's car.Read Baleno,VTEC,Fiesta 1.6 and Palio S10.
Did not find any low mileage VTEC,Baleno or fiesta.
So the search was still on.

2 days back saw one ad in the internet.
2002 Palio S10. Done just 12000kms.Single owner.
I called up the owner and he quoted 2lakhs.I was like . Then after thinking for a long time...i thought let me go and check out the car just for the sake of it as it has run only 12000kms.

When i saw the car...It was love at first sight. i can't stop
car was scratchless,shining,all the stickers were still intact.
It was almost like brand new.Immediately checked the tyres..All were Feb 02 and so mileage is genuine.Took a small test drive and found the car good.
I negotiated from 1.5L..to 1.8L..Owner said.."I cannot reduce even a single paise from the price of 1.95l even if you give full cash now itself."
I read all the posts about how to buy a used car here, but still when i saw the car.my brain ceased working and forgot everything.

Again looked at the car..Not able to ressist so agreed to pay the amount and paid 10k advance. I asked him one week time to pay the money.

Owner said he will refund the money if i find any problem with the car.
So went home satisfied.

Next day,took one mechanic friend of mine to check the car. I told him the price for the car will be less only but still its a rare car and also only 12k done i am going to pay extra more for it.
After checking everything he said this car is good and accident free..so green signal from his side.

Checked with the insurance company.Only one claim has been made.I.e right side door painted.nothing else.owner already told me that.

I know that GTX goes for 1.2 to max 1.5lacks if its in very good condition and i thought S10 commands around 50k more..so i agreed.

After reading that all the posts related to S10. I am bit confused about the price i am paying.
Did i agree to too much of money?.I am in a big confusion and thought why not get suggestion from our members.
Car looks brand new..

My criteria is : I need to own one very good driver's car.
After reading lot of posts about driver's car.i thought definitely i should own one before its too late.hence started searching.

I already have one 2007 Indica xeta and use bike for daily commuting so mileage is not the major criteria for deciding.but will be happy if i get good mileage too.

Please suggest if i can buy S10 for that price or forgo the advance and try other choices as i don't want to suffer "Buyer's remorse"(ref wikipedia)

Other choices i have right now.
2001 VTEC. 65k done 3L
2006 Baleno 48K done 3L
2007 GETZ CRDI 40k done 3.8L
2006 fiesta TDCI 52k done 4.5L
All single owner.Chennai prices.

I have not driven any car extensively so i cannot rate which car is better.But i liked getz crdi for the torque it delivered. all i need is one good driver's car recommended by teambhpians.
Please help

Last edited by rock18 : 3rd September 2010 at 15:12. Reason: Smiley usage is restricted to 2 per post. Please refer forum rules before proceeding.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

12000 kms in 8 years is fishy. If you have checked yourself its a brilliant deal I would say.
She is still a virgin but you will have to fork out additional vitamin M for all the rubber parts and bushes because they would have hardened considering the car hasn't been used much.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:29   #3
BHPian

I would suggest don't get anxious about the money that you are paying. Although I am not aware of used Palio S10 prices but a regular 2002 Palio (as you have rightly mentioned) would go for 1.25l or so. If you feel that you are paying way over the top (say 40-50k extra) then you might want to pull the plug. But if you feel that you are paying slightly more (around 10-20k or so) then I say you should go ahead with the deal. It looks as if the car is clean. You have had it checked by a mechanic and it does not look as if the owner is lying. There are no hard and fast rules while buying a used car. If one really likes something then IMO its ok to pay a bit extra.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rock18,

Even though this sure is a good deal, as mentioned by Extreme Torque, the rubber parts will require to be checked and changed since the owner has not used the car that much. A total distance of only 12k kms traveled in 08 years is definitely fishy. Sort of unbelievable too. Is there any genuine explanation given by the owner as to why the car was sparsely used in the past 08 years? Was the owner out of town?

In that case, apart from rubber parts, do check the service records of the car too. Was the car serviced as per the recommended intervals? If not, this could have led to sludge formation in engine oil. Do check corners and under door biddings for any sign of corrosion too.

If all fine then its a steal.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:54   #5
BHPian

Just check its actual mileage.If its really 12000,you can't find a better deal.I own a s10 with 62000 kms and it still drives like a dream.
Why argue about market price and resale value,just consider what you are getting for less than 2 lacs.Take my word, you will regret if you miss it now.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

OT but!

You buy a car which has done or very few kms in a long span and the engine is almost like a virgin.

Ok! now you buy it and rip ( as in real rip ) it for couple of 1000's of kms. Will this hurt the engine?
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Rubber parts may include:

4 new tyres - cheapest TT 3500 each
Timing Belt - 1900 (kolkata price)
Power Steering Belt - 200 (do)
AC Belt - 300 (do)
Alternator Belt - 500 (do)

Thats about it.

Donot take back the advance paid - enjoy the car - wish you all the best.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Please suggest if i can buy S10 for that price or forgo the advance and try other choices as i don't want to suffer "Buyer's remorse"(ref wikipedia)

Other choices i have right now.
2001 VTEC. 65k done 3L
2006 Baleno 48K done 3L
2007 GETZ CRDI 40k done 3.8L
2006 fiesta TDCI 52k done 4.5L
All single owner.Chennai prices.

I have not driven any car extensively so i cannot rate which car is better.But i liked getz crdi for the torque it delivered. all i need is one good driver's car recommended by teambhpians.
Please help
First things first, since you have posted other options along with the S10, I take it that you are still open to reconsidering your decision.At the very outset, I would tell you that a well maintainded S10 is a very good used car catch.However, please do not confuse WELL-MAINTANED with ABNORMALLY LOW USAGE.You would do well to know that such low usage signifies that most of the rubber parts on the car must have rotted/hardened and will be on their way out.A car like any other machine is meant to be used so as to kepp the components in fine running condition.However, that does not seem to be the case here.

I understand that the S10 is a much loved and worshipped car here on t-bhp.All said and done, however capable it might be, an S10 is a hatch which in your case is around 8 years old and the asking price for this is way too much.Keep in mind the additional 25k(at least, i.e. if you're not taking ICE into the equation) that would be needed to bring it upto top notch condition.Had the price been around 1.5-1.6, it still would have made sense for an emotional fiat fan with access all the resources/mechanics to take care of the car.Keep in mind that dealer support for this car is NIL and you will have to source almost every part through your trusted mech(who might take you for a ride besides the typical long wait for the parts to arrive).N I'm not even talking about the resale value for such a product after a couple of years. Needless to say, Palio S10 will need a fiat enthusiast to move off the shelf quickly who would'nt bother about the fact that the car is 10 years old in the first place.I do not want to sound harsh, but just a cautionary note to you before its lateO NOT let emotions get the better of you as you might repent later.

Of the options that you have mentioned, I'd say that the Fiesta TDCi is not a driver's car and would definitely feel underpowered to your other options.3 lakhs for a 9 year old VTEC cannot be justified anyway you look at it.Period.

Getz CRDi is a rocket in straight line acceleration.However, I've heard that it somewhat struggles when you take it through corners(if you are the enthusiastic driver types).Braking is just not upto the mark for a 110 bhp hatch.

Baleno, if its a VXI should be one with the climate control and 14" alloys.Try bringing it down to 2.5-2.6 considering the near 50k its already done.Its pretty much an allrounder with excellent AC/stonking performance/good mileage/suzuki reliability/Maruti A.S.S.Check on the history and if you get it for the price I mention its a good deal.This should be the pick of the lot.

All the best.Hope it helped

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd September 2010 at 22:46. Reason: Please don't quote a long post. Makes it inconvenient for our mobile users. Thanks
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:18   #9
BANNED

Dont think about money as for passion you should not think whether its good deal or not end of the day you should enjoy and happy, and yes its rare car buy it and keep it, after some years your kids will praise you for driving this legend.
I dont know what do you think of me if i tell you that i am going to buy one Standard 2000.
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Rock18,

Even though this sure is a good deal, as mentioned by Extreme Torque, the rubber parts will require to be checked and changed since the owner has not used the car that much. A total distance of only 12k kms traveled in 08 years is definitely fishy. Sort of unbelievable too. Is there any genuine explanation given by the owner as to why the car was sparsely used in the past 08 years? Was the owner out of town?

In that case, apart from rubber parts, do check the service records of the car too. Was the car serviced as per the recommended intervals? If not, this could have led to sludge formation in engine oil. Do check corners and under door biddings for any sign of corrosion too.

If all fine then its a steal.
Thanks all for the reply. very much appreciated.

Owner is a jewllery shop owner(marwari). He is an old man.He told me car is maintained by his son.
Car is very sparingly used as they have 3 cars in their garage.
I checked the tyres, 3 are Feb02 and one is mar02.must have run 10k to 15k (as per my mechanic).
Stephney is relatively unused and rust free.(i have seen rust in 2007 vehicles also)
Even the stock alloys looks spotlessly clean.
Could not spot rust anywhere?
Exterior is very neat and shining and all the stickers are still intact.
i found many S10's with one or 2 stickers missing atleast.
Interiors are decent but stock.no changes have been done.
Engine bay looks new and super clean.
I could not find any service records for it as sundaram does not have any FIAT records with them.I tried my best to contact many people there in sundaram but no avail.

In 2007 Tafe has done service at 10,500kms.
After that no records.Owner said since its sparingly used.They just changed engine oil and filter from their mechanic.that's it.
My mechanic said car is in good shape.
Insurance records seem to be fine.

IDV value for the vehicle is rs 2.4L and the last premium paid is in July 2010 for 8500rs(approx). so i have almost one year to pay the premium again.

Even 2001 VTEC has less IDV value and i am not sure how the idv value is higher for this car.
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:09   #11
BHPian

2L for an S10 thats run 12k km is a STEAL. The car is absolutely tank like in build quality, and the S10 is extremely quick. I own a Palio Stile MJD and I simply love it's build quality. I know S10's with over 65,000 on the clock and selling for 1.5L. Please do not give this offer up. It doesn't get much better than this. Good luck.

Please post pictures if possible too.
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you are not buying this lemme know coz I will :P
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

From what I've heard, used GTX/S10 in good condition are hard to come by.

If you really want to buy the car and it's in good condition with a genuine 12K on the odo, it's worth the premium.

Although I wonder why anyone would buy a GTX and leave it lying unused .
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:27   #14
BHPian

The Palio S10 is driver's car! You will love the way she would glide you on the highways!

As Planet Rocker suggested, change those components and also liquids to make her breathe fresh

Change the tyres.

Find a well known mechanic who is aware of FIAT cars.

In the end, don't feel bad that you are buying this at a steep price. No you arn't. You just drop the idea and see after some days when someone else picks it up, you will regret so badly!

The only thing you need to worry would be the special parts the S10 carries, i.e Spoilers, Side skirts, side fenders and stickers.

These will be hard to find if something damages.

Wish you happy miles driving the S10. I'm so loving it
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
IDV value for the vehicle is rs 2.4L and the last premium paid is in July 2010 for 8500rs(approx). so i have almost one year to pay the premium again.

Even 2001 VTEC has less IDV value and i am not sure how the idv value is higher for this car.
Private insurance companies might compromise on IDV as it brings higher premium. NCB on the insurance would give you an idea about the car's life. Do you have the information?

Frankly, I do not buy the three car theory-I may be wrong though. People I know who owns multiple cars (including my family) do so for a reason.

I presume you have done the research on S10 and understand what the car would deliver. Good luck
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks